Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just seeing if it is not only me.

Door creak slightly when you open or close them (mainly the front doors)

Dashboard rattle and creak (center, over bumps and rough road surface)

When starting or shutting down your engine (specifically Diesel) the dash and car vibrates or feels a little rough.

Idle very very very slightly lumpy... Smooth and consistent RPM but every so slightly lumpy. Seems fine once warmed up.

Temp reading... Well we all know about that one :lol:

Clutch is light but eventually gets a little tighter not an issue just an observation

Depending on where your steering wheel is set to be, you can feel the steering rack touch the brake pedal assembly touch slightly. Feels like the pedal clicks, try next time your at a standstill or parked up. Duncan (alfanet) only noticed it after I mentioned it to him when the car was in, another 156 and 147 did the same.

Speedometer sometimes, very rarely sticks for a millisecond and carries on.

The above is not a gripe...... More of a cars personality and it adds a little character. :lol:

·
Registered
7,154 Posts
The only one of those I have is the off side rear door creaks. I keep meaning to try and grease it, but I use it so rarely.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The only thing I can say is the temp and fuel gauge.

The temp gauge is just over 1/3 of the way whilst driving and rises to half way in traffic. Then you get the bottom twitching moment waiting for the fan to kick in. All of mine have slightly gone over 90 (tiny, tiny bit) before dropping below when fan starts. I can only conclude they are over accurate. My other car just sits half way. Even in traffic on a hot day. You can't tell me the engine doesn't get hotter before the fan kicks in. They just don't show it, yet if you have a cooling system problem with these type of gauges they rise from 1/2 to the red in about 3 seconds. No time to turn engine off. I found that out at the cost of a new head gasket in a non-Alfa.

Fuel gauge really gets my goat, it has a mind of its own and isn't the first 156 I have had that has done this.

I think dash rattles are just a thing cars get as they get older. Door creaks just a dab of oil.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea my fuel gauge is a little confused at times, even the digital display is off. At times its 80miles till empty others its 100 miles..

Either way, I think it is brill on fuel despite the gauges.

I don't the above are anything to worry about..... Are they? at 71000 +/- miles??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As for the doors mine turned out to be the check straps tried greasing but made very little difference just got a 147 that has the same problem might be worth trying to tighten the two small nuts that hold the check strap in place close to the top of the door but this side of the hinge and a bit of grease on the metal bar that comes out by these bolts (check strap). If it still persists they may need replacing! Door panel off job ! Also on the top and bottom hinges there is a 10mm bolt that goes through the hinge they sometimes need a bit of a tweak. Try these things and see if it makes any difference takes a couple of mins on each door. Good luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wish I could say "yes" if anything to make you feel better....:eek:

But in all honesty, no mine doesn't have a problem;)

Don't feel bad, I would say at least 75% of owners would have one or two of them though...

I will take a look again tommorow at your list and give you some free, easy and cheap tips to try and sort them if you like... The call of the duvet is upon me now, goodnight guys:thumbs:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Since G-man turned in and I drank enough coffee today to reanimate the dead, I'll have a pop at a one of those issues and I'm sure he'll tidy up the rest. The best way to cure the dash creak is a Wiechers strut brace. It costs £100 including delivery, takes 30 minutes to fit helps a LOT over potholes and sharpens the handling even further. I was initially sceptical but now I seriously wonder why they weren't fitted as standard on 156s like they are on 159s.

My car vibrates at start up and cut off sometimes too. I think it's just a characteristic of the four cylinder diesel. It tends to be less pronounced when the engine is warmed up.

Nick

·
Registered
930 Posts

Dashboard rattle and creak (center, over bumps and rough road surface)

When starting or shutting down your engine (specifically Diesel) the dash and car vibrates or feels a little rough.

Idle very very very slightly lumpy... Smooth and consistent RPM but every so slightly lumpy. Seems fine once warmed up.

Temp reading... Well we all know about that one :lol:

Clutch is light but eventually gets a little tighter not an issue just an observation

Depending on where your steering wheel is set to be, you can feel the steering rack touch the brake pedal assembly touch slightly. Feels like the pedal clicks, try next time your at a standstill or parked up. Duncan (alfanet) only noticed it after I mentioned it to him when the car was in, another 156 and 147 did the same.

Speedometer sometimes, very rarely sticks for a millisecond and carries on.

The above is not a gripe...... More of a cars personality and it adds a little character. :lol:

Door creak - yep - needs a new check strap.. mine's on order..

Dashboard - nope

Vibration on shutting down engine - used to, until i replaced the engine mounts - Edit - just realized you have a diesel, don't they all do that? hehe

Idle - yes, sometimes.. Im told its injectors for the JTS... but for me its only very mild.

Temp - yep, replaced thermostat - but the gauge still reads a little under.. MES assures me its perfect though..

Clutch - no idea, i have a sele :)

Steering - nope..

Speedo - nope..

:thumbs:

·
Registered
930 Posts
Since G-man turned in and I drank enough coffee today to reanimate the dead, I'll have a pop at a one of those issues and I'm sure he'll tidy up the rest. The best way to cure the dash creak is a Wiechers strut brace. It costs £100 including delivery, takes 30 minutes to fit helps a LOT over potholes and sharpens the handling even further. I was initially sceptical but now I seriously wonder why they weren't fitted as standard on 156s like they are on 159s.

My car vibrates at start up and cut off sometimes too. I think it's just a characteristic of the four cylinder diesel. It tends to be less pronounced when the engine is warmed up.

Nick
Couldn't agree more about the strut brace, i fitted a Weichers about 2 years ago and its been fantastic, exactly as Autobot says...

·
Registered
148 Posts
all i can have a gripe about is/was my fuel guage. i was a bit optimistic at time reading more than what was actually there. i changed the float and all was good again.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Mine only has the fuel gauge issue. Its good though. If I keep driving uphill I'm sweet for life, downhill I'm ****ed.

Overall I get little lights come on and off here and there like dash lights but they always come back on. Should clean the grounds.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts

:thumbs:One rear door does occasionally, but is better with an application of white grease.

:thumbs:Mine used to but I cleaned the intake butterfly and replaced the small turbo vacuum tubes

:thumbs:With the steering at its lowest position, the column can touch the brake pedal and cause the brakes to "stick", there was a witness mark on the brake. Raise the column a touch.

Hope that helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Morning Grahameo :)

Yea if you could that would be superb.

Cheers guys for all your input.. Puts my mind at rest.

I think the injectors need a little cleaning so I shall try the millers additive and see if anything improves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok so the zip tie from the the undertray and has given up already..... Probably the country lanes and the hump back bridge.

Bolts and washers required to replace?? :D

Lets not have another discusion on Nuts and Bolts either...... Its a bolt to me and a bolt it shall remain!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Good morning, sorry ... Got caught on the school run by a mate who wanted me to look at his Ford Focus issues:rolleyes:

Right lets start...
Door check straps... It's a common issue but Alfa actually modified them for stronger and better thought out units for £15.00 at the main dealers... However... If you are as tight as me... You have to remove the old one from the door frame and door itself... Its self explanatory when looking at it anyway and not difficult.
First things first... It's no good trying lubricate anything on it just yet... It needs a thorough clean off so a bucket with a litre of paraffin or even petrol will do the job... Plop it in, give it a scrub with an old tooth brush and leave it for an hour or two.

You can tinker on with other stuff in the mean time.

Now we have a clean check strap, we can now see what the problem is...

You will notice the check strap in the photo's... (before cleaning) there is a large thick spring clip... That is what causes that horrible noise as it hops against the rear retaining clamp... The reason why it clicks is that the roller that the check strap bar runs along gets manked up and seizes in position so forces the metal check bar outwards
This roller is the root cause to all the issues so needs penetrating fluid to soak off enough to free it so it rolls nicely... Clean off the metal check bar with emery paper and give that a good clean surface too... Now the only way to check it is to refit it and give it a good protection layer with white grease or even copperslip...
If it still clicks then the inside of the roller has worn away and stopping it mid flow so then spend 15 notes on a new one... But hey, at least you tried.;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow cheers Graham.

I shall have a poke around and begin the cannibalism of my door.

Chances are I will change them.

Also, Any ideas on how long and which bolts and washers I should use to secure my undertray?? the zip ties have gone. I would much prefer to keep the undertray rather than discard it. Still in good condition.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Diesel vibration is normal on shut down... It's age that does it and also remember that a diesel uses heat compression to operate so once you turn off the final cycle is still compressing on one cylinder with enough heat to still cause a bang in the cylinder. Petrols dont do the same as there is no spark to cause the fuel mixture to ignite.
The 2.4 JTD seems to handle this a bit better due to the damping effect in the balancing act of the crankshaft that is designed into them by the engineers at the factory to reduce the imbalance that they automatically had with an odd number of pistons. Something that they actually "over engineered" for a change:eek:

Four pot diesels dont need balancing as much due to the shorter nature of the crankshaft and even number of pistons..

Try driving a three pot diesel from say, Hyundia and you will notice a hell of a bang due to a shorter crankshaft and no dampening on a naturally unbalanced motor, you will never complain about a 4 pot diesel ever again... trust me on that!:lol:

What will help to run things a little smoother on idle and helps reduce the natural clatter is to add 250ml of 2 stroke engine oil to a full tank of diesel... Honest... Try it over the next few fill ups and see what happens;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Wow cheers Graham.

I shall have a poke around and begin the cannibalism of my door.

Chances are I will change them.

Also, Any ideas on how long and which bolts and washers I should use to secure my undertray?? the zip ties have gone. I would much prefer to keep the undertray rather than discard it. Still in good condition.

30mm length M5 bolts mate with penny washers about the width of a ten pence piece...
Another handy tip is to use small rubber grommets or tap washers between the bolt and the penny washer and grease the thread of the bolt with copperslip... They will never, ever sieze in again:thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Dashboard rattle? Remove the bolts to the info centre(face lift models) or the central vent (pre- face lift)...
Arm yourself with a tin of silicon lubricant spray with a straw attached to the nozzle and point it down the hole while holding onto the center console plastic and wiggling it while spraying in a direction towards the panels... It will find it's way to the parts making contact that cause the creaking... Don't be scared, it won't cause any harm to electrics, plastics or metals.

Now run down the straw while spraying along the plastic joints between the plastics the console and the dash, wipe off the excess.
Remove the window ventilation rail along the top of the dash it just has plastic pop clips that secure it and lubricate the area underneath it, refit the rail. Now with the straw still attached run along the outer dash where it makes contact with the door frames and the bottom of the windscreen... Job done;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts