Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cos mine doesn't appear to have used any since new and it's now done over 4000 miles. In fact every time I've checked it the level appears to be way over the maximum (above the hatched area on the dipstick).

Obviously not a problem but seems a little odd, I'd have expected it to use a little...

·
Registered
497 Posts
My Alfa 156 2.0 TS didn't use a single drop in similar mileage / about a year, and those engines are notorious for burning oil!

I think it was 1 litre per 1000 km or something acceptable from Alfa!

·
Registered
713 Posts
In fact every time I've checked it the level appears to be way over the maximum (above the hatched area on the dipstick).

Obviously not a problem but seems a little odd, I'd have expected it to use a little...
An engine that has too much oil in can be just as damaging to that if it had too little oil in it

·
Registered
848 Posts
Had an oil change at 10,000 km, oil level didn't move at all during that time. Fingers crossed it won't be an oil burner like my old Twin Spark.

·
Registered
336 Posts
mine was around half way when i checked it after 4000. Topped it up a bit and its stayed the same since, done nearly 5000 now

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
4.5K from new and oil level still good (unmoved).

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK cool thanks guys. Not worried about it being over the maximum as I've never topped it up and presume ut wa filled with the correct quantity in the factory.

·
Registered
29 Posts
4000 miles and the level has gone from the top of the crosshatch to halfway down.
Might have stabilised by now, but it looks like I'm going to have to keep a close eye on it over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
155 too; I was a little worried, but this makes me feel better! Mine has used none - still max - I'm on 7500 miles. :)

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
imo the oil dipstick isn't the most accurate measurement tool in the world. i mean putting a stick in a hole can't be that accurate can it? maybe it changes depending on how hot/cold the car is and other things.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'm very new to Alfa's, all my previous and current cars ware/are Toyota, Lexus and Porsche.

But is this common for an ***** to consume oil in quantities notable to the eyes? I've ordered Mito 155, and after I saw this thread I got a little bit scared :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts