Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of lowering 20mm, but read a few posts tonight saying it alters the geometry to the degree that the tyres wear unevenly, have you lowered yours?, what has happened with tyre wear?

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've lowered a few GTV's for people; no-one has ever complained afterwards. Well, not about increased tyre wear, anyway...
Fact is GTV's suffer from uneven tyre wear in any case.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
I've lowered a few GTV's for people; no-one has ever complained afterwards. Well, not about increased tyre wear, anyway...
Fact is GTV's suffer from uneven tyre wear in any case.
Uneven tyre wear shouldn't take place if the suspension is in good condition (ie shocks and springs are ideally uprated to eibach prokit springs and koni sports adjustables, and all bushes are good), plus the car is tracking correctly (adjusting rear toe first before checking front is crucial for this).

On lowering by 20mm (Eibachs) this can alter the camber a little bit. You can compensate a little bit at the rear by adjusting the toe, on the front you can use camber adjusting bolts, but if all is ok this is not really necessary.

If all is set up correctly on a lowered (20mm) 916 Alfa you won't get uneven tyre wear. Well, not much anyway:lol:

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all, looks like it will be eibachs and proper adjustment afterwards then.

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Thanks all, looks like it will be eibachs and proper adjustment afterwards then.
Make sure when your GTV is tracked the rear toe is done first (this is adjusted by the swivel rods on each side, connected from the subframe to the hub) then the fronts. If there is any issue with camber (which won't be much) a little compensation may be made by further toe adjustment.

The condition of the bushes on all suspension components (front wishbones, rear springpan arms etc) is also absolutely crucial to a good set-up - for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I put Eibach springs on mine, camber and tracking is all within tolerance, chops off the inside of front tyres. I adjusted the toe a bit to give a little less toe-out, and it has helped, the wear could be adjusted out but then the steering would be dead, so really its a choice between handling and wear. All of the suspension components are new. I think if the standard springs were put back the wear problem would disappear.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
+1 not exesive wear but superb handling. :)

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
I put Eibach springs on mine, camber and tracking is all within tolerance, chops off the inside of front tyres. I adjusted the toe a bit to give a little less toe-out, and it has helped, the wear could be adjusted out but then the steering would be dead, so really its a choice between handling and wear. All of the suspension components are new. I think if the standard springs were put back the wear problem would disappear.
+!
Mine shred the 16" quicker than the 17"s
Also need to mention that the Eibach springs whilst the best will 'overpower' your old standard shocks on bumpy/uneven surfaces:)

·
Registered
7,732 Posts
Don't go cheap, it's not worth it. Koni Sports adjustables are the best. On the Spider keep all four on the softest setting, this with the Eibach prokit springs (20mm drop),this really is the best combo you can get. Worth every penny (or cent your way). I can guarantee you will be so happy with it.

·
Registered
10,609 Posts
If you only buy 1, then go for uprated shocks with standard springs, then uprate the springs when you can afford it:):thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts