Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1000 miles in now and stop start has only ever worked twice, am I doing anything wrong? I have made sure it is turned on!

·
Registered
337 Posts
I did the first 100 miles in mine yesterday and after about 50 or so it started working every time I came to a stop without fail, but as twauster said there are many things that prevent it from working.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine never works, probably because I only do short journeys to work, like 2 miles there and 2 miles back, with a couple of 20 mile runs in the week.
So the battery is never fully charged, If I charge the battery over night the stop/start will work for a couple of days and then pack up again.
I spoke to a tech and Mangoletsi about this and he told me the battery voltage has to be above 12.7volts for the stop/start to work.
I think that is to critical it should be set at 12 volts, giveing a bit of leeway for low milers like me.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I think that is to critical it should be set at 12 volts, giveing a bit of leeway for low milers like me.
I think that would not be safe for people who commute to work in temperatures as low as -30 C in the morning as the ability of the battery reduces significantly in such low temperatures.

As S&S is meant for city traffic, if you have to spend enough time in traffic then it's likely that the battery will get a chance to get charged enough for the system to kick in, but for such a short journey as yours the pros & cons don't add up!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Mine doesn't work anymore. Like above the majority of my journeys are short commutes so especially with the cold weather it's obviously never getting time to charge up properly.
On the odd occasion I do a bit of long driving, then it'll work again for a couple of days.

"Start stop unavailable" is burned permanently into my retinas.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Kinda starting to sound like S&S is expected to be a miracle. It's unavailability is a feature and does not mean you can't drive. The car is for driving. The engine must be running in order to drive.

T

·
0 Posts
Yup. Remember that the point of the Start & Stop system isn't to stop the engine, but to reduce emissions. If the S&S isn't engaging, it's because it would have been pointless.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've never had it work. I think it's because it will only work when the car is not in gear and you release the clutch. I never do that.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'd rather it didn't work to be honest. Pain in the bum.

I just wish there was a way to disable it (or rather the 'unavailable' message) long term instead of having to switch it off manually each journey

P

·
0 Posts
Mine has worked perfectly from day 1... Not once has mine given me issues...

Hardly ever use it but when I do it works without any issues.. Car is 13months old and has 30 200 miles on it

·
Registered
543 Posts
mine works perfectly every day, it took a day or so to work from new but otherwise I leave it working as i am use to it now

·
Registered
145 Posts
Never had problems with S/S.
Doesn't work on my daily trip to work, only 4km and no need to stop :)
But everytime i do longer trips, no problems.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Took mine back to the dealer and they said it was a dodgy battery and replaced it, this must have been 2 or 3 months ago and it has been fine ever since.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts