Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question sort of spurred by this thread: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/sout...is-the-skunkworks-testing-2.html#post10216433

Which got me thinking. Alfa is under huge pressure to make the Giulia off-the-scale, class-batteringly lovely to look at. I want that, and you want that, too.

But does it matter if it isn't 'gorgeous'? (however that maybe defined). Why can't it be super-clever like the 1960's Giulia? That car was very clever, not least in its aerodynamics. It became an iconic Alfa. It has true presence if not necessarily beauty.

Then there was the Alfetta saloon. I don't know what aerodynamic properties that car had, but it was a handsome, upright formal saloon with a nononsence look. Instantly recognisable as an Alfa.

Opinion is divided over the looks of the 1977 (?) Giulietta saloon; personally, I love that great low nose, high-tail, stubby-boot look, and (don't laugh) I can see a hint of it in my car and the 1986 Audi 80 (as handsome a car the small saloon sector has seen, IMHO).

Of course, the 156 and the 159 were delicious (as was the 164), and the 156 and the 159 came at a time when Alfa design was associated with modern beauty - but is it right that's all we should expect from the Giulia, that it should be beautiful? Would it be so wrong if, like the 1960's Giulia saloon, it was immensely clever, instead? As long as it has presence - like the 75 - or is clever, does it matter if it isn't (like the 75) beautiful?

Of course, I don't want to see an ugly, graceless-looking Alfa, but I'm worried that if the car isn't beautiful, any other qualities its design may be overlooked. An Alfa should push design boundaries (think SZ) even if that means a designed that's appreciated over time. Problem is, Alfa needs its mid-range saloon to be an instant hit, and not a slow burn style-wise that only an Alfa aficionado, automotive historian or design expert will come to appreciate 30 years later...

·
Registered
36,061 Posts
I think a car that's too beautiful may put some people off if it looks vulnerable or less tough than the other cars you're considering . I remember thinking this when I borrowed a new Xedos 6 , some years ago compared to the equivalent BMW . One of the reasons people like their expensive saloon is that they give them a safe cocooned environment. Perhaps part of the appeal of an SUV ?

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think a car that's too beautiful may put some people off if it looks vulnerable or less tough than the other cars you're considering . I remember thinking this when I borrowed a new Xedos 6 , some years ago compared to the equivalent BMW . One of the reasons people like their expensive saloon is that they give them a safe cocooned environment. Perhaps part of the appeal of an SUV ?
yep, good point.

but the 156 was popular in the UK and looked (and still is) a treat to view.

maybe Alfa's 90's overall brand renaissance was a factor in its success as much as its styling?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
It needs to be elegant and tasteful. Beautiful would be better still.

·
Registered
38,450 Posts
I don't think it matters, providing it is good in other areas.

People are prepared to buy bland/ugly cars if they are good to drive and well made.

But something that is stunning to look at is allowed to have a few flaws simply because of the way it looks.

Personally I hope the new Giulia is great to look at and great to drive.

It should be good we have waited long enough for it.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
JLR have launched about 6 brand new models in the last 3 years compared
to AR's 1 low volume roadster.

Unless the new 4-door Alfa is a good looking ~€35K performer I can't
see a reason not to stick with Tata. :(

·
Registered
36,061 Posts
JLR have launched about 6 brand new models in the last 3 years compared
to AR's 1 low volume roadster.

Unless the new 4-door Alfa is a good looking ~€35K performer I can't
see a reason not to stick with Tata. :(
Interesting article Jaguar Land Rover: Baby on board | The Economist
Jaguar still looses money and XE will continue at relatively low volume . LR obviously makes a lot of money on RR.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I think it's a given the new Giulia needs to have a striking, aesthetically pleasing design.

Wasn't that (one of the) reasons given for Marchionne canning previous plans? The design wasn't striking enough for his liking.

For mine, Alfas have always been about beauty. That's their main selling point.

One of their slogans may have been "La belleza non basta" - but truth be told - it's really always been their calling card.

The epic engines/driving dynamics have been present in previous models. But that certainly wasn't the case with the 159/Brera/Spider.

·
Registered
36,061 Posts
The new Maserati is not striking or particularly beautiful but it appears to be selling ok. The Ghibli is too complicated to be beautiful ,in my opinion.

G

·
0 Posts
It will have to be stylish, elegant and hopefully beautiful to be successful. If it just looks ok then it's hard to see how it will win new punters over against the competition which is so well established. The "bias" against Alfa still remains and they don't have a brilliant dealer network so there's got to be a "wow" factor about it. The 156 did that so well.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Does it matter if an Alfa saloon is not beautiful? Well, does it matter if you're girlfriend is not beautiful? To some guys it does, to others it doesn't. However, I would guess to most it is a pretty important factor.

Alfa is trying to get into the premium business and the competition there is very tough. The new C-Class moved up the game so much on interior quality, the new 3-series on dynamics and judging by the new TT, I would imagine the next A4 will have a massively innovative cabin design. And this is before you throw in the new IS from Lexus and the new Jag XE.

Because there is a general bias against Alfas and because it is not traditionally considered a premium brand, the new Giulia not only needs to look stunningly beautiful but also have the innovative drivetrain and other tech to match including low-weight construction.

It won't be enough if it's as good as the competition, it needs to be better. Unfortunately looking at the Quattroporte and the Ghibli, they're not exactly beautiful, so the odds are against the Giulia as it's the same guy signing off the designs

·
Registered
36,061 Posts
"...odds are against the Giulia as it's the same guy signing off the designs"
Interesting thought , as Luca Cordero di Montezemolo is no longer there . He used to be very influential on Ferrari and Maserati projects at Pininfarina and this probably continued in-house. And the New Alfa was mentioned along with his departure this week.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Could Luca di Montezemolo become head of Alfa????
possible, but i thought he was heading into Italian politics.

...in which case, he may wish he was heading up Alfa, instead :lol:

·
Registered
998 Posts
To answer the question, Yes, yes and yes!
That is Alfa's USP above all, many out there appreciate stunning design and it sure helps smooth things along when the slightly iffy reliability rears its head. Plus if you think about it, its Italian and that's what they are all about, no-one does style quite like the Italians do, its a major part of what they are about.
Alfa, get the bloody thing on the market, we've waited too long!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts