Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know this is going to get some people hot and bothered but this is a serious question so if you feel like a rant at me for even daring to critiscise DNA can I ask you to go elsewhere please!

On Top Gear on Sunday during the five minutes of good stuff you get per programme these days, Jezza discussed sport modes on cars as little more than gimmicks. Apparently the Stig set equal lap times in a car (not a Mito) in Sport and Normal but in comfort mode was actually quicker!

This got me thinking about my Cloverleaf. For a while now I have been starting to think that Dynamic is not actually all that great - yes you get the kick in the pants as it engages but I find it makes the steering load up too much in corners and round islands and over stiffens the suspension.

So tonight I went for a brisk cross country only in N mode - and found it much more pleasant. OK, I had to push the loud pedal a lot more but we didnt seem to be slouching along. The steering felt light but pleasant and the ride was great.

So I wonder in real world conditions, which is the better option.

Sensible and balnced discussions are invited!

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I don't usually put mine in D mode, quite happy to drive about in N around town tbh. When i do put it in D mode though its good because im used to driving around in N so i do notice quite a bit of difrence. I only use mine at the weekends though & drive a vauxhall vivaro loaded up with stuff during the week so it always feels quick anyway :)

C

·
0 Posts
The only benefit N has over D is the reduction in torque-steer, I think the body control in N is unresolved and I find D to be more comfortable. The steering is still too light and without real feedback in all modes but that seems a common flaw with electric assistance. Have you tried it in A though, my gut feeling is that it's better than N.
It would be interesting to put all 3 modes through a track test to see what the results are.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I obviously dont have a cloverleaf, but I use D mode partly for the sharper throttle (heal and tow rev matching is possible here, if a bit unnecessary!) but mainly because it turns on the Q2 electronic torque biasing, which gets rid of a good deal of the understeer and makes it so you can feel the back axle start to move when you lift off, which is quite nice :)

On a related note, i find that when you lift off in D the car decelerates more 'violently' initially than in N. It 'Jerks' a bit.

And on less related note, I find the steering has the best 'feel' in normal mode when its assistance is most reduced at high speed, so around 65/70. I haven't found a corner recently to properly test this though so I may be wrong!

Hope some of this helps :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd go with the apparently sharper throttle response in D - maybe too sharp though at times. I too double declutch and heel and toe when I am in the mood!

Steering I prefer in N - the reviews that said it was "useless" or "like a supermarket trolley" I cant believe in my case, seems OK to me but in D it goes far too heavy I reckon and seems to be inducing a higher castor feel in bends so that you feel you ar reeally having to hold the wheel over.

Not sure about Q2 only happening in D though?

I presume (or at least I havent seen any official stuff to say otherwise) that the engine produces the same power in either mode - or does it?

More research required!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Certainly on the 'cooking' models, Q2 is only available in D. And in terms of power, on the 155 and QV, as well as the 120 jdtm (i think) D mode allows the turbo to overboost, which creates more torque, and makes in feel like it goes like ****!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Normally I just drive around in N or A, dependent on if i remember to switch before driving off. Only use D when hooning. The ridiculously light steering I find is actually beneficial on motorways and pottering around town. D is nice for that overboost and weightier steering.

·
Registered
41,769 Posts
i like D it feels better.......sorry dont do the techy talk, just prefer D mode:)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I'm no stig but compete with my Punto in Autosolo which are handling events, I have tried Sport and Normal (Abarth equivalent to Dynamic + Normal ) on these events and I am often quicker in normal mode, I believe this is because you can better control the throttle and torque delivery in normal mode leading to less scrappy lap times, but its is a laugh in sport mode, perhaps a bit harsh on my tyres though :eek:

I need an LSD and better throttle control :D.

Attachments

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm, this IS interesting - not the tyre wear (hooligan!) but your experience of the two modes under fixed conditions.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
A mode is best for carrying speed fast, all the electronic safety nets are fully on and assisting you, try seeing how fast you can drive round a roundabout in each mode ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
28 Posts
Wasnt expecting anyone to propose A mode as the best one!
I like the D mode and mostly drive it in D. Sometimes when I switch it from D to N doing about 100km/ hr it feels somebody is putting the hand brake on. The N mode is useful when you get stuck in traffic as I found the TCT is not doing well in stop and go situations. In summary I agree with all comments that you might have better control and be faster around a track in N however the D mode is certainly faster at the lights for sure. A few weeks ago I've had a fault with the transmission and I could drive it only in N. I almost cried every day...I guess it all comes down to personal taste.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Humour me
Didnt say I didnt agree - I had access to some very open and very icy carparks last winter and gave it a thorough testing - it worked incredibly well.

I do get the feeling that D mode is to some extent like fitting an induction kit or a big bore tailpipe - largely psychological!

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Hmm, this IS interesting - not the tyre wear (hooligan!) but your experience of the two modes under fixed conditions.
Yes it was driven quite hard that day, took the trophy though, an expensive one, I could of bought about 100 of them for the price of 2 Pilot Super Sports :D

To be fair its not quite scientific as I am still learning and don't have the appropriate level of consistency its just an observation I have made, I don't think A mode would get you anywhere its too restrictive at least in the G MA I have as a loaner.

D mode just ramps up the response over a shorter throttle throw, all a bit synthetic really would be nice to pick the good bits from each mode like steering from D, Throttle from N etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It may just be me, but my car is essentially undriveable in N. The response is so slow it is a safety issue as far as I am concerned and I absolutely hate the loosey-goosey feel of the steering on a motorway in N. Again, it just feels unsafe at any speed.
My wife, however, will sometimes drive in N, driving me insane as a passenger until I reach over and stick it into D. She prefers the feel in D, claims she just forgets sometimes to hit the switch. I long for a software upgrade some day that will keep it in D unless you turn it off. A is okay, I guess, but we rarely get conditions that make it seem a better choice than D. Most of our driving is either on fast motorways with plenty of short-radius curves or on twisty mountain roads where the throttle lag associated with N is unacceptable, at least to me. Our regular about 3-hour trip in N (done no more than twice in N all the way to test fuel consumption) is about 2 hours 45 minutes in D and D feels safer all the way. Got better fuel mileage in D.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts