Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something ELSE gone wrong with Jennys car, (windscreen wipers this time) and I'd like to try for some advice on the possibility of fixing it myself.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Dont know of a Vauxhall forum.......but their wipers are not that different from most cars......whats the model and whats gone wrong with them?

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2001 Corsa 1.2i.
Started with the wipers, when they'd finished, doing a weird juddery thing in their parked position. This has now got worse, and they have started wiping very very slowly.
It basically seems that the motor is on it's way out, but I wondered whether they had a similar fix to the 145's issue (open the motor gearbox and clean out all the gunk)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Yes...if its in the park position and when on intermittent it almost certainly problems with the parking plate and parking contacts...this would be the first place I would look anyway.

Dont know of any grease problems but they do suffer from contact wear sometimes. I will take a look further to see what I can find out.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you can remove the complete wiper assembly - three bolts probably one at each end where the wiper spindles are and one on a bracket near to the motor.

The motor is held onto the bracket by three screws - you will also need to remove the motor crank from the motor - when putting it back on make sure the motor is parked and you line up the crank with the marks in the bracket.

To look at the motor contacts you need to remove the flat metal plate (if its the current new shape Corsa, it will have the electrical connector block on the top). The are five rivets you will need to drill of the heads to remove the plate. To replace the plate later you can use small self tapping screws - there are holes already provided for these.

Carefully twist the plate to one side so you can see what's inside, (there will still be two or three leads to the you cannot remove connecting it to the motor).

Look to see if the contacts or the plate on the gear are worn or damaged - should be three metal strips (phosphor bronze- copper coloured) there will also be grease on the plate. Basically see if there is any reason why they are not making good contact. If water has got in there it could turn the grease a white colour this could also be the problem.

Basically I think it must be a motor problem from what you describe and the parking contacts are the most likely area.

One question. Do the wipers work as they should do on high speed? Or are they affected as they are on normal speed as well?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Given the comparitive mulititude of Corsas around you should be able to get a second hand part from your local scrapyard.

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure now whether they do work on high speed or not. Not sure I ever tried it to be honest.
Looking at your instructions on how to do it, I'm very tempted by Nigels suggestion of just getting a replacement!
I'm not much of a DIYer :eek:

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll at least have a look at it for anything obvious though, so thanks for the desription of how to get to it etc.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
bazza said:
I'm not sure now whether they do work on high speed or not. Not sure I ever tried it to be honest.
Looking at your instructions on how to do it, I'm very tempted by Nigels suggestion of just getting a replacement!
I'm not much of a DIYer :eek:
Getting either a motor or a wiper motor and linkage from a breakers sounds a good idea if you are not keen on trying a repair.

However, if you just want check to see it works on high speed it could confirm if it is a parking contact wear problem.

On high speed the parking contacts are not in circuit (you always park the motor from low speed). So if it won't work correctly also on high speed the motor has some other problem (brushes armature etc.) - best get another motor in this case.

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I swear when I googled it all I got was things like that review centre at the top, and performance ones. Oh well *shrug*
Cheers, anyway. I have a few things to go on, but if none of them work, there was a forum in your list that might be able to help.

·
Banned
716 Posts
Migweb's the one to use. I've got a vauxhall engine in my Westfield and I've found it to be a very useful forum.

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, upon checking the fuses and relays, there was a 30A fuse against the wipers, when it should have been a 20A. Could this contribute to a knackered motor do you think?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Not really ----the fuse is to protect the harness and switches.

The motor itself has an internal circuit breaker that is both temperature and current sensitive to protect the motor.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Either a 20A or 30A fuse is fine for your motor.

BTW I once worked for the company that made them for Opel/Vauxhall....so I know a little (but not everything :rolleyes: ) about your Corsa wipers. Pity but I left the company over two years ago otherwise I could have found out more.

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, forgot to say: It's no better on slow than on intermittent, and on fast wipe it just doesn't do anything at all.

·
Administrator
46,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, I was thinking that, but I don't think I have the expertise to work it out. It's looking like it'll have to go to the garage for them to check. It'd be just like me to pick up a motor from the breakers to try to save money, then find out there was nothing wrong with the old one :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts