Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have the handbooks alright the bloomin PH2 handbooks

Problem is i have no map reading light nor do i have boot light, PH2 handbook says its on fuse 17 and it serves both these 2 none working items and its in fuse block position B (under drivers side removable panel by knees)

can someone help me while i have all ths time of and help me with a PH1 handbook to see if i need to be checking another fuse please, I have no idea how close PH1 and PH2 are similar in wiring terms

·
Registered
767 Posts
Very much or the same? Nr. 17 is the fuse you are looking for - that's for the interior lights. 1998 is a PH2 with a silver dash. Yes?

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so my PH2 handbook and my PH1 car it seems are the same thing then fuse number 17 is the one i am looking for ??? .........................

only reason i ask is that its suposed to be 7.5a fuse and in the book and the fuse in that position in the car is a 20a fuse and its of course not blown??

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thats a PH1 handbook is it cos its exactly the same as mine

handook contradicts itself as well ason this pic you sent its a 20a and then a few pages later its stating number 17 is a 7.5 a (bottom left in pic)

·
Registered
767 Posts
I know, but I used the picture as a reference, because the text is a mess. All other models have a 20A fuse for interior lighting.

Edit: plus the side indicators 7,5 in picture and 20 in text. There are also a couple of 25A fuses that are nowhere to be found in the text. I would bet that the picture has the correct fuse layout and that the text is poorly translated (I've got a German edition).

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help

my car is PH1 with black console

Has to be a fuse to coincidental otherwise just need to know PH1 and PH2 share same fuse layout as i am still confused why a good working fuse isnt my problem ( would it matter ignition on or off for them to work. have voltage testes so gona get to bottom of this one

·
Registered
767 Posts
1998 and PH1? Never heard of that one before. The fuse layout is the same as long as it has 3 rows of fuses instead of just two long ones.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
According to the repair manual, 7.5a fuse is only for upto 1996 ph1s, late ph1s use fuse F16 which is 20a, this powers ceiling and boot lights, door locks, aerial, mirror adjust, diag socket and service ecu power.

F16 is in the same position as F17 on both the scans above.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah guaranteed its PH1 actually regestered 08/2008 but EPER says it was made in March and definarlt all the PH1 signs 5 speed V6 and black centre console

have to put more effort into this only small thing but its been bugging me and never had time to investigate but ultimatly its poor earth or live crappy bulb or fuse

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have found online the full CD workshop manual now goes into masive detail and hope it will lead me to source of problem

258mb what a find

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
i have found online the full CD workshop manual now goes into masive detail and hope it will lead me to source of problem

258mb what a find
Yep, I have that too :)

I have a '98 phase-1 Spider (the red one) and luckily it came with a handbook. It says there are two columns of fuses and that the interior lights/instrument panel/electric aerial/remote control for central locking are all on a 7.5A fuse, the sixth down on the left hand side. It's marked with the downward-facing-light icon.

Just popped out to the car and can confirm that fuse is indeed the one - however, something strange happens when I pull it - the lights dim a lot and a relay makes a tortured sound. That must be the delay unit, then, and it has some other supply... typical.

-Alex

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
many thanks Alexgs diferent time zones and of course its raining here so cant chech it immidiatly but mission today when i get chance is to pull each and every fuse one by one just to ensure that it is or is not a fuse, will report back

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
1998 and PH1? Never heard of that one before. The fuse layout is the same as long as it has 3 rows of fuses instead of just two long ones.
I have two 1998 phase ones!

Bradpitt - If you don't get a resolution, then either PKR or Nige005 should be able to help. They were designed by robots and have a very good knowledge of circuitry :)

·
Registered
767 Posts
many thanks Alexgs diferent time zones and of course its raining here so cant chech it immidiatly but mission today when i get chance is to pull each and every fuse one by one just to ensure that it is or is not a fuse, will report back
I would say that if it really is the fuse, then it should be blown and nothing should be working aka you should get all sort of el. problems, because the sistem tries to surpas the blown fuse (nice in theory but extremely bad in real life). So pulling the fuse won't help, if its already not working. But do check all fuses if they are all OK. Replace any if blown.

Another possibility would be a bad earth somewhere, but in order to find out the source one would have to dismantle 3/4 of the car. My puddle light on the driver's side isn't working but I can't find out why. All fuses are OK (except for the slightly melted rear screen one ...), so must be a bad earth somewhere. But ... :confused:

Anyway, the boot light is useless, so not sure if it's woth it :lol:

Edit: as far as the 98 PH1s - must be an import thing.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I would say that if it really is the fuse, then it should be blown and nothing should be working aka you should get all sort of el. problems, because the sistem tries to surpas the blown fuse (nice in theory but extremely bad in real life). So pulling the fuse won't help, if its already not working. But do check all fuses if they are all OK. Replace any if blown.
I know what you mean - very dodgy and confusing! As I mentioned, something strange happens if the fuse is removed (so presumably also when it is blown) where the lights (even the reading light) come on dimly and a relay makes a noise... so it seems there is some other alternative feed possible through the delay unit. I reckon the delay unit is a likely culprit if problems persist.

Sometimes there are just poor connections in the fusebox (especially if there is evidence of water), so it might benefit from a spray with contact cleaner and even a clean of the fuse blades, or new fuses.

Of course, blown bulbs or loose bulbs are always highly likely. I had an instrument cluster in an Alfa once where all four bulbs were out. I thought, surely that's not the bulbs - but it was, all four had blown one-by-one and had not been noticed until the last one went out.

-Alex

·
Registered
767 Posts
Of course, blown bulbs or loose bulbs are always highly likely. I had an instrument cluster in an Alfa once where all four bulbs were out. I thought, surely that's not the bulbs - but it was, all four had blown one-by-one and had not been noticed until the last one went out.
Had the same experience with my GTV and the centre console bulbs - only one was working (the LED for the air con) and after I replaced all of them I realized that the console actually looks nice at night :) Especially the cig lighter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts