Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVERY year - handbrake issues.......
Its had more cables / work done than I've had hot dinners.
And thats before the ball joints or whatever that ALSO need doing yet again.....!
Wouldn't be so bad if it got used but thats less than 5000 miles again this year :mad:

Rant...Rant...Rant...!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Mine passed last year no problems.

I don't use my handbrake much at all, usually I rely 100% on park (or leave a car in gear if it's manual). If the handbrake is left tightly engaged for a long time and the car isn't used, maybe the tension gets knackered? Just guessing...

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mines due for mot in about 10 days so i am getting worried , :(
but it passed first time last year and year before that and has only done 3600 miles since last mot but i feel the Alfa is out to bankrupt me this year.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Handbrakes are a notorious weak point. Just leave it in gear with the handbrake off when parked up unless on a hill (then use both). Moisture gets into the cables and they corrode at the calliper end. I made sure I put a blob of grease at the end of both cables when they were replaced to prevent this. No problems so far but a pig of a job to do.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Same, I never use my handbrake, just pop it in gear! Got a feeling mine might fail on this!! If I have to do mine I going to do something to prevent this being an issue! Copper grease all over! Oil, sealant, heat shrink or even get better cables made up!

I'll see!

How bad is this job to take on?

·
Registered
10,915 Posts
The vectra has a much better similar system.Guess they learned by alfa's mistakes.

Pomeo

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
mine. every time.
last time the examiner opened the bonnett, stared at the engine bay for a few seconds, then called his colleagues over to show them my shiny pipes.
i was grinning on the other side of the window like an idiot. but a very proud idiot.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Mine passed first time this year, failed the other 2 years I have owned it though, Its due a service at the end of the month though so I might not have escaped spending money! :(

·
Registered
141 Posts
Handbrake last time - its over 10 years old so I opted to have a new one fitted, and yes as its an auto I leave it in park with the handbrake rarely on.
Only other failure has been a worn stearing boot cover.
Not bad for 7 years worth of MOTs
I have spent money on the obligatory cam belt replacement and a stearing hydraulic failue otherwise not bad.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Mine's never failed an MOT. I usually have it serviced/checked over the day before the test so whatever might need doing is done. It did have new handbrake cables last year but it had just turned 10 and they had never been replaced before. :wow:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine has never failed an MOT..... the guy was amazed... we are allowed to have 0.3 something when he tested the output from the silencer... and mine resulted in 0.07 amazing..... viva alfa:thumbs:

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
mine always seems to fail on something silly...

1st year was a bumper reflector
2nd year 02 sensor
3rd year wiper blades
this year it was a top arm and handbrake

so never more than about £50!

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
My 166 super passed today,with only advisories on tyre wear near limit & slight play on upper wishbone,chuffed to bits as 1st MOT in my ownership (November) so just glad I have no major issues.......phew

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Has anyone seen the new MOT certificate? It's just a piece of paper printed off the computer!!!! I got the wifes car MOT'd yesterday and thought they hadn't given me the proper certificate so went back in to ask (doh)! :) It will be very easy to fake these new ones!

·
Registered
658 Posts
it dosn't mater now that all the MOT data is available to the Police so a fake certificate would't fool the police. You can also check any car on line to see if it's MOT'd or taxed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, I experienced my first MOT here in UK yesterday and my 2001 166 3.0 sportronic bought 6 months ago passed first time under my ownership with advisories for some bushings showing wear but no play evident and brake pads needing replacement in a few months. I had all confidence the care would pass as it has been well maintained and trouble-free the past six months. I have full service history and the car has only failed one time for very minor issue with previous owners. I have serially owned 4 alfa's in USA and they have been as reliable as my american cars but then so was my jaguar XJ40. I have always believed that the best way to keep the cars healthy and without problems is to drive them every day, sun or snow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts