Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta admit my interest in cars is pretty new, but I have been thinking about a few other things the last 36 years, and I really can´t figure out how Alfa Romeo thinks.

Mira:

Giugiaro makes a fantastic facelift (156), and a few year later Alfa releases "The New Look" (159, Brera, Spider) which is rather close to the facelift, but more daring (we all know).

What´s next?! The 8C of course! A fantasy car, only 500 will hit the road. Very few can afford - Brera is still "The (affordable) new".

What´s next, next!? The 149. The updated 147. A smallish car bound for 2008 - that will have the phenomenal looks of the 8C!

= 159/Brera/Spider will look old in just 2 years.

Makes sense?

At least I don´t have to bother that the GT ALMOST decided to buy will look old in a few years, cause averything except 149/169 will.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
Gotta admit my interest in cars is pretty new, but I have been thinking about a few other things the last 36 years, and I really can´t figure out how Alfa Romeo thinks.

Mira:

Giugiaro makes a fantastic facelift (156), and a few year later Alfa releases "The New Look" (159, Brera, Spider) which is rather close to the facelift, but more daring (we all know).

What´s next?! The 8C of course! A fantasy car, only 500 will hit the road. Very few can afford - Brera is still "The (affordable) new".

What´s next, next!? The 149. The updated 147. A smallish car bound for 2008 - that will have the phenomenal looks of the 8C!

Makes sense?

At least I don´t have to bother that the GT ALMOST decided to buy will look old in a few years, cause averything except 149/169 will.
To be fair mate, the Alfa-cycle you outlined above, is pretty typical of the life/replacement cycle of most mainstream car companies. Don't forget, even companies like VW do some odd things, like the Golf Plus, or offering both the Golf Estate and the Bora Estate (identical cars) in the same markets.

That said, Alfa has some quirks of its own. It would often keep an 'old' coupe in production, two years after it has launched the replacement. In the 80's if you wanted a Alfa sports saloon, you could have had an Alfetta, or the Alfetta based Guilietta. Or the Alfetta-based 75. Or if you wanted a V6, you could have had the Alfetta-based 90. Or the 75 again with a V6 engine. Or even the - yep, you guessed it - Alfetta-based Alfa 6.

I guess I'm saying that I wouldn't worry to much about Alfa doing anything with much logic, but they're not the only ones.

g

P

·
0 Posts
So what you are saying is that only the latest design is worth owning?

I bought a new 156 GTA in 2006 when i could have bought a 159 or Brera for the same money or less.. But i didn't want a 159 or Brera, I wanted a 156 GTA...makes perfect sense to me..:)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Steffoo, IMO all your points are what makes Alfa so luvvable:cool: I think it shows free thinking not a head-less chicken approach:)

I think that Alfa is one of the few that bring out new cars that are quite different from previous models, unlike say Vauxhall:eek: that roll off yet another Astra/Vectra variant. Put the last one to bed and move on as it were.

·
Vendor
45,421 Posts

Makes sense?

156 pre-facelift looks better than a brand new 3 series if you ask me.

Doesn't drive as well, but on looks its definitely in a league above.

·
Registered
379 Posts
156 pre-facelift looks better than a brand new 3 series if you ask me.

Doesn't drive as well, but on looks its definitely in a league above.
A good point well made I think

·
Vendor
45,421 Posts
A good point well made I think
Someone said it before me, but I agree.

The new BMW 3 series looks like a car. If you imagine the word car, to mean a cold mechanical thing that gets you from A to B, this is what I imagine.

I don't see a 156 as a car. Its an Alfa :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts