Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, does anyone know the difference between the Lucas rear calipers for the standard 147 with 276mm discs and the ones fitted to a gta? they have different part numbers but they use the same pads and discs, I really need a caliper but I can't find the ones that are allegedly specifically for the GTA, I'm hoping the only difference is one is painted red

Cheers guys

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Theres no difference in the caliper, the difference is in the carrier.

So, if your carrier is ok you can use it with any 147 or GT caliper and most 156 ones.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What side is it ?
it's the nearside, the piston doesn't wind out with the handbrake to take its position and because of this there is also way to much travel when I use the footbrake, very sketchy feeling, so is the carrier different just for the different suspension?
And your sure I can just plonk one made for a twin spark in there? ??

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
it's the nearside, the piston doesn't wind out with the handbrake to take its position and because of this there is also way to much travel when I use the footbrake, very sketchy feeling, so is the carrier different just for the different suspension?
Ah, ok, I only asked cos I m selling an offside one.

The carrier is different cos of the larger discs, but the basic suspension isnt any different from any other 147, 156 or GT, its just the springs, dampers, bushes that are specific to the GTA, the 147 GTA also uses the alloy rear sub frame from the 156 and GT, whereas other 147s use a steel one, but even this is interchangeable with all 147s, 156s and GTs, its the material is made from thats different, all the fitments are the same.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The carrier is different cos of the larger discs, but the basic suspension isnt any different from any other 147, 156 or GT, its just the springs, dampers, bushes that are specific to the GTA, the 147 GTA also uses the alloy rear sub frame from the 156 and GT, whereas other 147s use a steel one, but even this is interchangeable with all 147s, 156s and GTs, its the material is made from thats different, all the fitments are the same.
but the discs are all the same size? 276mm

·
Registered
30,251 Posts
The question is a little confusing.
Does a standard 147 rear caliper for 276mm brakes fit on a GTA
GTA have 276mm rear brakes.
The only difference between a GTA 276mm rear caliper and a non GTA 276mm caliper is that the GTA one is painted red.
But I thought non GTA 147 had 251mm rears.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ah that's a shame ?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only difference between a GTA 276mm rear caliper and a non GTA 276mm caliper is that the GTA one is painted red.
The brembo website lists all 147's as having 276mm rear brake discs, my discs were for everything from a 1.6 t-spark to a GTA, same with the pads, I know the 156 changed from 251 to 276 at one point though

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just checked eurocarparts and they state the standard 147 has 251mm rear discs, so I wonder which is right, Im gonna place an order tomorrow if we are all agreeing the standard caliper with fit in the larger carrier just the same, I'm almost certain mine said 38 diameter when I was looking at them earlier which is the same piston size as all the standard ones I have seen on eBay, no idea why they have so many different part numbers, I wish eper was a bit clearer
Cheers

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Just checked eurocarparts and they state the standard 147 has 251mm rear discs, so I wonder which is right, Im gonna place an order tomorrow if we are all agreeing the standard caliper with fit in the larger carrier just the same, I'm almost certain mine said 38 diameter when I was looking at them earlier which is the same piston size as all the standard ones I have seen on eBay, no idea why they have so many different part numbers, I wish eper was a bit clearer
Cheers
Brembo is deffo wrong, all other 147s are deffo 251mm rear, so I d say David and Euro are right.

It doesnt matter either way, the point i that the caliper bit is the same, so just buy a rear caliper without the carrier.

Probably has a different part number cos of the carrier and the red paint.

Edit: I was assuming youd be buying used from ebay rather than new. but before you do anything wouldnt it be best to make sure that the problem is deffo a seized caliper ? And even if it is it shouldnt be too hard to free it off.

fF youre buying from Euro, find a picture of one of a TI, or Ducati Corse or any other model with red rear calipers and quote that registration number, hopefully you ll get one painted red.

I always thought it had 276mm rears, but seems like you were right.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers
Brembo is deffo wrong, all other 147s are deffo 251mm rear, so I d say David and Euro are right.

It doesnt matter either way, the point i that the caliper bit is the same, so just buy a rear caliper without the carrier.

Probably has a different part number cos of the carrier and the red paint.

Edit: I was assuming youd be buying used from ebay rather than new. but before you do anything wouldnt it be best to make sure that the problem is deffo a seized caliper ? And even if it is it shouldnt be too hard to free it off.

fF youre buying from Euro, find a picture of one of a TI, or Ducati Corse or any other model with red rear calipers and quote that registration number, hopefully you ll get one painted red.

I always thought it had 276mm rears, but seems like you were right.
Ok, I'll just bite the bullet and nab 2, I can spray them if I need to, well, I changed my pads, discs and handbrake cables yesterday and I wound the pistons back, this was difficult, the outside of the piston was rusted up as they have been out for quite some time on old pads by the looks, I would imagine the rusted swollen lip on the end has stretched the seals and the handbrake cable is pulling on the caliper arm properly on both sides, they only difference is one of them locks the wheel up, one of them doesn't, this amazes me as they were rebuilt by a garage not a great deal of time ago, anyways, I can't really think it's anything else

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Ok, I'll just bite the bullet and nab 2, I can spray them if I need to, well, I changed my pads, discs and handbrake cables yesterday and I wound the pistons back, this was difficult, the outside of the piston was rusted up as they have been out for quite some time on old pads by the looks, I would imagine the rusted swollen lip on the end has stretched the seals and the handbrake cable is pulling on the caliper arm properly on both sides, they only difference is one of them locks the wheel up, one of them doesn't, this amazes me as they were rebuilt by a garage not a great deal of time ago, anyways, I can't really think it's anything else
Fair enough, new calipers it is then.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts