Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the look out for a GT, preferably with an excellent Alfa Service History. A Blackline has just come up but I am suspicious of its Service Record which is shown online with other pics of the car. There are a number of reasons why I am suspicious:

• All the dates and mileage are in the same handwriting
  • All the Alfa service stamps show on the last line "valid 2011" from 2007 to 2013
  • There are no signatures with the service stamp
I contacted the Alfa dealer that has supposedly serviced this GT and was put through to the Service Section. Naturally, the person asked for the registration number and asked where I had seen it for sale. In hindsight I wish I had not told him because he also checked online and saw for himself what I was suspicious about. The person I spoke to stated the vehicle was serviced by them and at the mileages and dates according to the details I had. However, when I initially spoke to him he did say he thought it was suspect to have the same "valid 2011" date throughout but did not say anything about that later when he said it had been serviced by them.

I would hate to think an employee of a major Alfa dealership is shady and has colluded with a seller trying to palm of a GT that may not be as good as it seems.

Has anyone got any thoughts or experience on this?

G

·
Most garages will happily supply duplicate invoices if they have them. Only difference is the reference to invoice address is usually removed or covered over.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Maybe it's a replacement service book, so would've been written by the same person and the same stamp used.
Exactly what I was thinking. I would go and see the car and casually mention your suspicions to the seller - you can then gauge from his reaction whether the reason he gives is viable/believable. Gut instinct is a good indicator and it would be a shame to miss out on it if there's a perfectly good reason. Hopefully the presence of some receipts will back-up what the service record says anyway.

Good luck!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Don't forget, if you buy it without a convincing SH then you will have to answer the same questions when you come to sell it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Stamps in service books are pretty worthless as there are so many forgeries about, I bought a car with a service stamp from "Network Q Lemington Spa", I'm sure that any garage would be able to spell the name of the town they're based in. Invoices are much better to back up history.

Do Alfa Garages record services on a central computer, so the details can be accessed by any main dealer?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly what I was thinking. I would go and see the car and casually mention your suspicions to the seller - you can then gauge from his reaction whether the reason he gives is viable/believable. Gut instinct is a good indicator and it would be a shame to miss out on it if there's a perfectly good reason. Hopefully the presence of some receipts will back-up what the service record says anyway.

Good luck!
According to the ad the seller is away and leaving his family to deal with the sale, which is a pain. However, I would ask for any receipts and invoices to back up any claims.

Stamps in service books are pretty worthless as there are so many forgeries about, I bought a car with a service stamp from "Network Q Lemington Spa", I'm sure that any garage would be able to spell the name of the town they're based in. Invoices are much better to back up history.

Do Alfa Garages record services on a central computer, so the details can be accessed by any main dealer?
Quite, Service books are easy to forge! As far as I am aware all official Alfa Dealers/Service Centres have records on their own data base but I don't think it is centralised, ie Vospers would not have access to records of services carried out by Autolusso.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts