Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got one of those spindle/pin like objects stuck in one of my back tyres last weekend. Perfectly inserted right through the carcass at 90 degrees to the surface about 20 mm from the edge of the tread- a bit suspcious looking but these things happen. Virtually new tyres with hardly any wear on the back. Put the other set of wheels with winter tyres on as it's that time anyway.

Took it to a small tyre fitter for a plug patch repair - too close to the edge mate. Took it to a famous high street tyre fitter - to close to the edge mate. Asked them to bin it for me - forget it and move on.

Poking around on ebay today I have found my tyre. No details but the location and combination of tyre spec and wear make it a certainty - even confesses to have plug and patch repair in it.

Now the tyre fitter is 1/4 mile from my house (the only reason I give them business) so they know where I live but I don't know if it's them or their mates being given the pick of the throw aways and hence would be untraceable. Whoever it is has sold several hundred on ebay over the last few years.

I'm angry but trying to considering my options rationally - any sage advice out there ?

·
Registered
37,751 Posts
Bid on it, and make sure you win then pay cash on collection.

That way you may get to come face to face with the guy who told you it couldn't be repaired.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bid on it, and make sure you win then pay cash on collection.

That way you may get to come face to face with the guy who told you it couldn't be repaired.
then take it to trading standards as a dodgy tyre repair :lol:

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It just got worse. I Forgot to mention that the auction terms are delivery only - more common to find pick up only for bulky and heavy stuff on ebay - how dodgy is that ! Other ebay items include a wheel and tyre !

I'm tempted to ask some questions like

- How Kwik can you go on a # rated tyre ?
- Would they be any good on very thin ice ?
- How close is the repair to the edge of tread ?

The fact that I live 1/4 mile away, they have my address and my car is parked well visible outside my house makes this a difficult situation for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts