Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys n Dolls. If you had just had a secondhand engine delivered and you found a quantity of emulsified oil in the bottom of it, what would you think? Do you think it's possible to create milky oil by having some idiot who was steam-cleaning the engine send a jet down the wrong hole - as is claimed by the supplier?

Or was it a head gasket incident - as I suspect?

I'm also not sure this is a 2006 engine as claimed - engine number is AR32405+006389 if that helps.

thanks a million

Tony

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
could have suffered HGF in the past and not been cleaned out correctly or, more likely, it has been sat a whilst with a small amount of oil in it. damp has got in and made the manky stuff your seeing now. my MG's dipstick develops the manky sludge if i dont use it for a week or two and it is left outside... a 15 minute blast of the engine normally clears it up :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
oil is always removed on arrival at a yard now due to legislation. so it may well have just sat for a while in the rain with no oil in. Not good though! What i do before fitting a engine that i am not sure of is to compression test it first. If it turns over ok and readings are similar it will at least run and its likely that if readings are similar headgasket is ok.
Alfa will be able to tell you what car the engine came from but may not be helpfull

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK thanks - you're right Alfa not helpful! and I would have thought a bit of water in would merely sit on top of the oil. Wouldn't if have to be run to churn up enough to go milky?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts