Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Ive got a seriously vibrating 147 JTDm. It only seems to occur over about 40mph. Could it be a drive shaft issue? It seems to be coming from the rear but I can't be sure. It happens in all gears and in neutral. It's just been tracked and balanced and it has two new rear tyres.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
if its from the rear its not a drive shaft as they are front wheel drive, i had a similar weird pulsing droning noise, not quite a vibration, but that turned out to be a front wheel bearing.
was the noise there before the new tyres?
are your rims free of dents especial on the inside edge?

L

·
0 Posts
what mileage is on the clock? most likely you need a replacement spider joint for one or both driveshafts

·
Vendor
45,829 Posts
Feel the inner edge of the tyres, does it feel a bit 50p shaped?

G

·
0 Posts
five things it could be: Cheapest first!
1, Wheel balance weight has dropped off, never assume that just because a new tyre was fitted and balanced then all is ok, they can fall off if they were not stuck on properly, in particular stick on type on the inside of the wheel... It gets really dirty and the tyre fitter may have notcleaned the area properly!

2, Are you sure your wheel bolts are tight? Your wheel could be wobbling if they have worked loose.... Any wheel once removed should have the bolt torques checked after 50 miles or so... Check them right away!

3, A wheel that is buckled and out of shape. Again, don't automatically assume they are fine, its easy to check visually by jacking the rear of the car on each side, releasing the hand brake and spinning the tyre/wheel fast while watching the tread to see if it raises or dips... Now remove the wheel and check the inside visually. Any flatness instead of perfect roundness will be apparent.

4,Wheel bearing grumbling. While you are doing check number 3 If you here a grumbling noise while spinning the wheel then your wheel bearing could be on its way out. Grab the wheel top and bottom, side to side and try wiggling it as if you are trying to remove it off the hub while still bolted on... Any excessive movement will confirm this.

I doubt it could be anything more than those items although driveshafts are a possibility with it being a JTD... Even in standard form they are on the limit of engineering performance. CV joints too but you would get a clicking on 3/4 to full lock... Driveshafts can be physically checked when the front end is suspended on a proper ramp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that. I had the wheels balanced and have checked the bolts already so I can discount them. I'll check the other suggestions out
Thanks

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
[B

4,Wheel bearing grumbling. While you are doing check number 3 If you here a grumbling noise while spinning the wheel then your wheel bearing could be on its way out. Grab the wheel top and bottom, side to side and try wiggling it as if you are trying to remove it off the hub while still bolted on... Any excessive movement will confirm this.

dont know about rears, but my front bearing showed no play untill it was parted from the drive shaft, and it made a horrible drone and thumped when turning......thats why i wouldnt believe it was the bearing at first, maybe its cos they are cartridge bearings and not taper?

read on here that if u hold the coil spring while spining the wheel u will be able to feel vibrations if the bearing as gone.....i didnt try that though

Gary

·
Vendor
45,829 Posts
read on here that if u hold the coil spring while spining the wheel u will be able to feel vibrations if the bearing as gone.....i didnt try that though
This is true, at least for the front wheel bearings.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Bearings sounds usualy change when you corner.

Has the 147 got a central driveshaft bearing/joint on the drivers side?

If it a spider joint and it is worn it will vibrate/shimy underload which it reverborates around the car. Easy to check as you can feel the play in the shaft (cheep fix if its not to worn the spiders are about £50).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts