Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
DS = Destra or Rght

SN = Sinestra or Left
Thanks for replying to a post that I’m commenting on that is over a decade old!
It’s great that we’re keeping with these cars; I see you still have your GT that’s great.

These check straps;
On my Eper dvd it shows that the part numbers are the same for the GT and 3-door 147s and some other Alfas.

I very nearly bought the front check straps off of a breaking 5 door 147 but stopped myself after seeing the part numbers were different.
I guess the length of them may differ in that they’ll be a bit shorter or perhaps a bit longer since a shorter door could open more as more space in a car park.
Ah well.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I haven't seen the old chestnut on this thread of the dental floss trick. Wind a bit of waxed dental floss around the pivots and mine has stayed quiet for over a year. Bit of a bodge but only took me 3 mins!

·
Registered
541 Posts
I haven't seen the old chestnut on this thread of the dental floss trick. Wind a bit of waxed dental floss around the pivots and mine has stayed quiet for over a year. Bit of a bodge but only took me 3 mins!
Yes I’ve read that on another thread a while back...
I tried it a few times but my straps are too far gone.
I like the idea of the mole grips but don’t know if they’d work on my ones I’m guessing they mean squeezing the top and bottom of the pivot?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Yes I’ve read that on another thread a while back...
I tried it a few times but my straps are too far gone.
I like the idea of the mole grips but don’t know if they’d work on my ones I’m guessing they mean squeezing the top and bottom of the pivot?
How thin was the floss? Oddly I noticed that the thinner the better. I got some really thin OralB waxed and that worked. Bit thicker stuff did not. Might be worth another punt. Don't forget you need to do the top and bottom.

As for mole grips I didn't have a pair at the time so never tried that but have one now so if it goes again will try it. Barring that I like the idea of taking apart and re-assembling with bolts. I still cannot fathom why they continued with such and obviously shite design for so long. This is the only brand (along with fiat I hear) that I've ever had this with.

·
Registered
541 Posts
How thin was the floss? Oddly I noticed that the thinner the better. I got some really thin OralB waxed and that worked. Bit thicker stuff did not. Might be worth another punt. Don't forget you need to do the top and bottom.

As for mole grips I didn't have a pair at the time so never tried that but have one now so if it goes again will try it. Barring that I like the idea of taking apart and re-assembling with bolts. I still cannot fathom why they continued with such and obviously shite design for so long. This is the only brand (along with fiat I hear) that I've ever had this with.
Right I may have another go but there’s a lot of gap to fill.
Thin makes sense for it to work it’s way in.
Ah top and bottom; not sure if I did that I might’ve.
I might get more joy if I undo at the far end to take the strain off.
I wonder also if I could clean it through with thinners, meths, white spirit, brake cleaner or something, then find a way of squeezing glue in there. Superglue or araldite to fill the gap...
Create a shim that way...
I used wax floss before but only after I’d used it (no waster then) so maybe fresh stuff might be better with the wax on.
I have some waxed mint stuff so I’ll have a fresh snell when getting in and out lol!

Yes the design is indeed shite.
At least they could’ve put a top and bottom hole on the bracket for the pin to not be in so much leverage.
Also a plastic shim inside was never going to wear well.
I guess I could look into getting a bolt set up as replacement;
I think that pin would pop out with a good whack if done properly...

·
Registered
71 Posts

I also tried the floss method with 2 different types of floss, and it like kinda works? Pretty much I can open it enough to get in and out, pretty much silently, and it does the knocking noise when I open it more than like 60%. Eh, it's better than it was for sure, the passenger door seems to be working even better (which is expected as obviously the driver door is used a lot more).

How do people do the re-assembly with bolts? knock out the pin with a hammer and find bolts that just fit in and bolt it together? or do you need to make a shim?

·
Administrator
GT 2.0 JTS
5,237 Posts
The early door check straps which were fitted to the GTV and Spider used a large M6 x 20mm roll pin. I don't know what size hole will be left after removing the captive bolt on the later ones.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts