Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
147 check strap

It's time to do my drivers door check strap... drives you mad after a while.

As mentioned, because the pin is a rivet and cannot be turned I thought about taking the whole strap off, sand the underside of the pivot, then i'll hopefully be able to turn through 90 deg to rotate away from the worn face then a simple tack to hold back in place..

anybody as tight as me and tried this?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Oh I was way too tight and tried every which way.....including drilling the centre out and replacing it with a bolt and washers. No good.

Ended up paying £28 for a new one on the GT. Worth every single penny!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Followed the thread and gained access to the check strap and removed within 10mins.

Only for the 'really tight and I'm not paying for a new one' fixers!

Going with the plan of my previous post I sanded the underside of the pivot and successfully punched it out. After checking all the parts there was no wear apart from the thin walled bush.(photo)
The shouldered pivot pin was 8mm and the hole in the strap was 9mm exactly. The bush obviously has a 0.5mm wall thickness to take up the slack but was now reading 0.3mm.... 0.4mm has never sounded so loud!

To take up the slack I inserted a couple of thin walled strips (old tape measure offcut!) between the strap and the bush, so that the pin still rotates on the bush face then tapped the pin back on the bracket and welded the end. No slack at all and rotates. Fill with grease...some on the neatly welded underside... 1Hr and the door is quiet again.

If I need to do again or if I was doing it over I would drill the strap to 10-14mm and fit a brass bush.

New level of 'tightness/stubbornness' achieved I think :)

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
Can I ask a question please. My gt drivers door has been doing this for a while, I just tried to tighten up the bolts, and one of the two bolts which attaches to the actual door snapped, now it is louder than ever! I have ordered a replacement, are these bolts actually attached to the part or do they come off? I just need to keep the bolts which tightens to the bolt? (Hope that makes sense). When refitting, I'm guessing I don't tighten them too tight or they will snap again or was I just unlucky? Also, why are alfa door check straps so expensive? I just paid £45 for mine, other marques sell the for £5-£10! Will any other make of door check strap fit?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well I've decided I cannot put up with the click clack anymore. So I've ordered a new strap from Northgate Alfa Romeo in Canterbury for my 147. £27.22 including the VAT apparently which I thought was cheap compared to the other prices listed of £40+.

My Collezione has the newer plastic looking one (has the plastic surrounding the metal) but its still failed on the pin area (excessive movement). But as long as the new one is silent, I'll be happy :)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well I've decided I cannot put up with the click clack anymore. So I've ordered a new strap from Northgate Alfa Romeo in Canterbury for my 147. £27.22 including the VAT apparently which I thought was cheap compared to the other prices listed of £40+.

My Collezione has the newer plastic looking one (has the plastic surrounding the metal) but its still failed on the pin area (excessive movement). But as long as the new one is silent, I'll be happy :)
I'll give them a call both my fronts are noisy :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Old thread bump, but I have this problem on both the front doors of my Alfa 159.

I called our Alfa dealers here in Perth, Australia and was quoted $130 each!! Obviously I'd rather not be out of pocket $260 for these things, so was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction of where to buy these things in Europe and get them shipped over. Been searching online but can't seem to find any.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
From what I can see they're not sided, part #60690659 is what you want for the front doors.

Can't see the part listed on any of the UK usual suspects. There's a seller on German eBay doing then for around $40AU but doesn't seem to ship to Oz.

Il Ricambio also list the part for around the same price, unfortunately it's an Italian website with no English option (that I can see) so can't tell if they ship to Oz.

Good luck.

Pub

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick replies. Much appreciated.

I'm of Italian origin so I can speak/read/write Italian quite well, so navigating the Il Ricambio site was relatively easy.

I ended up ordering the parts from there and including shipping to Australia ended up coming to 71 Euros which is about AU$110 - much better than $260. :)

The sad thing, is that the site said the parts were in stock, then after ordering and paying, I get an email saying what I ordered is not in stock and they'll get the part ASAP. Grrrrrr.... Factor in the rubbish Italian postal system and I'll probably get these parts in February.

Oh well. Door still opens I guess. The clunking sound is driving me insane though!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had the same problem with the clicking doors, The reason they click is because the rivet between the ratchet bar connecting to the door pillar cleat wears the spacer bush between the two, a far cheaper repair was to remove the rivet and replace the bush then rebolt the two sections together, Done mine about a month ago took 35 mins each side and saved about £80.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the same problem with the clicking doors, The reason they click is because the rivet between the ratchet bar connecting to the door pillar cleat wears the spacer bush between the two, a far cheaper repair was to remove the rivet and replace the bush then rebolt the two sections together, Done mine about a month ago took 35 mins each side and saved about £80.
Sorry for digging an old thread but, is it possible for you to give us a guide/quick run through as to what rivet to buy as well as the bushing (and how you removed/installed them)? Can these parts be sourced from Alfa themselves?

The creaking noise everytime I open the doors are seriously annoying me. I have a 30 year old car with a 30 year old check strap and it is still holding! They weren't wrong when they warned me about buying an Alfa as apparently they will have some character haha!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Were you able to do this without taking the door cards off?

·
Registered
543 Posts
The Door Strap clicking is a common problem on a lot of two door cars (heavier doors). The cause of it is the weight of the door pushing down on the strap, forcing it to create a small gap on the hinge part connected to the chassis.... and if you watch it closely, you will see it popping up (clicking) as you open and close the door.

You can either replace them (not easy on the ALFA 147) or as i have done.... undo the bolts from the chassis side, and swing the door open. Then get right in there with a set of mole grips and squeeze it together. Then just bolt it back on, and give it a good grease.

Works perfect, and saves £30.00
Maxwells!
Hopefully you’re still on this forum and can remember back to over a decade ago!

the straps now cost well over £15 each.
From the dealer they were about £45 a couple of years ago and more like £70 odd now!

there are some replacement ones on eBay but they aren’t left and right just same design.

anyway are you able to describe where you used the mole grips please?
On the top and bottom of the rivet pin was it?

on my 147 Mk1 2001 these straps have a horrendous clacking noise.

what I reckon is that around the pin pivot riveted in was a bush/ shim/ something probably plastic which has long worn away.
This creates a larger hole in the metal check strap. Which then with the sheer weight of the door has stretched to an oval over time.

when the door is closed the spring launches the strap onto the pin and that makes the noise.

so I guess squashing the river pin further down will expand it?

mynone might be a bit far gone unless I remove it and get a lump hammer onto it?!

maybe it’d be better to punch the river out and get a bolt to fit with a metal shim for the hole.

I’m looking online at breakers for a quiet pair of straps but might be a long shot...

·
Registered
543 Posts
Cheers for the write up, have posted an issue today about my GT, seems like I will have to bite the bullet and buy the new ones.
Seems a proper pain to have to take the door card out to get to them.

Is it the pin in the middle that wears over time? Seems to actually move in its holder.
thats what my one does; pin moves in the strap hole. That makes the noise as the spring launches them together.
I’m wondering about removing the pins and putting something like a bolt with a shim in place. Much more serviceable.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts