Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
The Door Strap clicking is a common problem on a lot of two door cars (heavier doors). The cause of it is the weight of the door pushing down on the strap, forcing it to create a small gap on the hinge part connected to the chassis.... and if you watch it closely, you will see it popping up (clicking) as you open and close the door.

You can either replace them (not easy on the ALFA 147) or as i have done.... undo the bolts from the chassis side, and swing the door open. Then get right in there with a set of mole grips and squeeze it together. Then just bolt it back on, and give it a good grease.

Works perfect, and saves £30.00
by squeezing it together does that fix the problem completely or is it just worth buying new ones. also can i just take some of a old car which are fine?
thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
The cause of it is the weight of the door pushing down on the strap, forcing it to create a small gap on the hinge part connected to the chassis.... and if you watch it closely, you will see it popping up (clicking) as you open and close the door.

YES, I was looking into this the other day on my 147.

You can either replace them (not easy on the ALFA 147) or as i have done.... undo the bolts from the chassis side, and swing the door open. Then get right in there with a set of mole grips and squeeze it together. Then just bolt it back on, and give it a good grease.

Works perfect, and saves £30.00
When you say squeeze together do you mean pliars on top and bottom or on the sides? I'm assuming top and bottom but just want to be sure!

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI!

Guys somebody could give a little detailed explanation about the door straps, and how to fixate. My alfa 156 doing the same very annoying clicking sound on both sides in the front. Would be nice, to know how to fix, without buying new door straps. (hard to find new ones).

I read the topic, but it wasn't enough clear what we should squeeze together on the straps.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
You can't repair existing straps. You simply need to get another set from Alfa. They're not that expensive and the guide will apply well enough to a 156 as well.

I don't think I can be any further help than that really!

T

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Cheers for the write up, have posted an issue today about my GT, seems like I will have to bite the bullet and buy the new ones.
Seems a proper pain to have to take the door card out to get to them.

Is it the pin in the middle that wears over time? Seems to actually move in its holder.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Cheers for the write up, have posted an issue today about my GT, seems like I will have to bite the bullet and buy the new ones.
Seems a proper pain to have to take the door card out to get to them.

Is it the pin in the middle that wears over time? Seems to actually move in its holder.
...if you've not got a bose setup, its a good opportunity to buy some better speakers and swap them over ....as they have to come out anyway!

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Thanks for the guide Tian, I am going to upgrade my speakers but with a clicking offside door it seemed a great opportunity to change the checkstrap too. Couldn't believe the price though! I had heard that they were £15, then 'closer to £30' but I paid £39.10 from Mango's. I think that the way they wear out is the hole that the the lug on the 'A' pillar goes through gets stretched/ the lug gets worn away so there is play between the two if the door flies open. I watched mine the other day and as the strap gets to the first 'stop' you could see the strap jump towards the'A' pillar and it's that that makes the click noise. As there's no way to rotate the lug it needs to be replaced. One things for sure, I feel a lot more confident about removing the door cards now! You haven't done the rear quarter panels by any chance have you??!!:D

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
price has really gone up of those door straps. Was it £39 for two?

I bought one from a dealer and it was about £15 a few years back.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
No, that was for one! Brand new and original wrapper as you'd expect, but only one.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
Fitted the check strap today. the how to guide is absolutely spot on. I did however note that the puddle light is part of the door card. All I needed to do was remove the screw through it and then undo the wiring connector once I'd pulled the card away from the door. Mind you when I refitted it I managed to overtighten the screw and break the puddle light!

Now it's replaced it's like having a new car, it feels so different to get into!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many thanks for this step by step guide. Bought a new strap a couple of months ago but have been putting it off!!

I'll get on with it now with a renewed confidence!!!:thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I'm glad to of been of help. It's only a small thing but like you guys say it makes such a difference when getting in!

I'm now without an Alfa as I bought an RX8! I will be back though, probably in a 159...

T

·
Registered
212 Posts
where is the cheapest to buy these
Get brand new ones from the dealer despite the cost. I tried 2 second hand straps and they both started clicking within a week. Spent more on the second hand ones than the new and I won't be making the sam (or similar) mistake again - new all the way for every part. Alfina is worth it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Good write up.

My problem is really creaky rear doors. Anybody know if its the same procudeure for the rear doors on a pre-facelift 147.

Anbody have the part numbers?

Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just did this - thanks for the walk through. Made it easy. Wee tweeter was broken off when I opened it, hot glue gun smothered it. ;)

41 - 60 of 88 Posts