Alfa Romeo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Guys, am sure I have seen a post with the part numbers for the check straps on here but I have search high and low with no avail.
Anyone have them to hand? Need the nuimber for 147 3 door (are 156 front and GT check straps the same?)

Cheers, Cluffstarr

·
Registered
943 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Guys, am sure I have seen a post with the part numbers for the check straps on here but I have search high and low with no avail.
Anyone have them to hand? Need the nuimber for 147 3 door (are 156 front and GT check straps the same?)

Cheers, Cluffstarr

Yeah, I know I'm crap. Sorry about being so slow off the mark but I've been driving my other car and haven't even been near the Alfa in days. Anyway I've had a look at the packaging that was in the boot and have some codes.

LHF Check Strap: 00505.12.115.00
RHF Check Strap: 00505.12.114.00

LH Plug Cap: 07353.51.271.00
RH Plug Cap: 07353.51.270.00

I replace the caps that go on the top of the armrest too as they alays get damaged and they only cost a couple of quid eack.

Hope that helps someone and as unlikely as it is if you need a guide, I took some snnaps of when I was doing it and will upload them if needed.

Cheers

T

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Check Strap Fitting Guide

Check straps can be changed in about half an hour each and once you've done one the second will be a breeze. Before you start ensure your windows are closed and that you have the corrected handed replacement parts. You will need a set of Alan Keys a socket Set with a 13 mm and a 10mm socket and a Philips Screwdriver.

If like me you ordered new door handle blanking plates the easiest way to remove the old ones is to twist force a screwdriver into the middle of it and pull it off. That way you'll avoid any damage o the handle itself. With that off unscrew the recessed bolt hidden beneath.

Above this you'll see just behind the door catch another blanking plate with a small notch. remove this but carefully prising it out with a small screwdriver and remove the screw behind.

Moving back to the handle using only your fingers grasp the electric window module and lift this up carefully, it's only push fitted so will come up with a little effort. NOTE, the drivers side is retained by one screw located just under the armrest. this must be removed before attempting to remove the module. With the module free unplug it and place it to one side.

Behind the switch you will see the second handle securing screw, remove this.

Moving back up to the catch remove the tweeter by pulling on the catch and sliding the tweeter past it placing it to one side after pulling out the multi-plug.

Moving to the bottom of the door remove the screws that run all the way along including the screw which retains the puddle light. With this out you can pull off the light which is held on by two catches, one on either side, place this to one side.

Moving back to the top of the door remove the A Pillar cover that holds the electric window multi-plug

Now carefully work the inside of the door-card away from door releasing the poppers as you go. Once complete move the the outer edge of the door and do the same. The door should now be hanging by the top window scraper.

Next push the puddle light through the door thus removing it from the door-card. This is your last connection to the door and the card can now be removed. From a standing position by the outer edge of the door using a secure grip and pulling one side at a time apply upwards pressure until the card is released. The inner edge should follow with a little more pressure.

Once you have the door-card off you new need to remove the door speaker by unscrewing the for crews and removing the multi-plug. This will allow access to the Door Strap for removal.

I would suggest removing the large bolt (13mm I think) from the A Pillar first as this makes access to the two smaller bolts on the door easier. Retain all fixings as Alfa DO NOT supply replacements! With the 13mm bolt removed then remove the two 10mm bolts again retaining for re-use.

Please do note that these straps and handed and as such you must ensure you fit the correct ones to the correct door.

When fitting the new strap I found it easier to attache it to the door and then the frame. Try not to push the strap in as pulling it out again can prove almost impossible. Also avoid over tightening the bolts, I did on one and it snapped meaning I had to refit the old strap and order a warranty replacement.

Refitting is obviously a reversal of removal. I hope this rough guide has helped.

Thanks

T

·
Registered
102 Posts
:lol:window down:lol:,yeh,nice write up tian,did my driver door tonight on my GT, as said easy job ,took half hour ,passenger door fine at the mo, but little niggles like these are so simple to sort ! silent now when closing door ,very pleased,ash

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Door Strap clicking is a common problem on a lot of two door cars (heavier doors). The cause of it is the weight of the door pushing down on the strap, forcing it to create a small gap on the hinge part connected to the chassis.... and if you watch it closely, you will see it popping up (clicking) as you open and close the door.

You can either replace them (not easy on the ALFA 147) or as i have done.... undo the bolts from the chassis side, and swing the door open. Then get right in there with a set of mole grips and squeeze it together. Then just bolt it back on, and give it a good grease.

Works perfect, and saves £30.00

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yep, my 147 too.

Also had it on my 145. This clacked for a while, then broke completely so that there was no check at all. Great on a windy day! Can't quite remember exactly how it failed...the part of the bracket in the door splits into two with first one bit of metal breaking, then the other. The clacking is the incredible spring tension of metal hitting metal as the hinge moves across the two 'arrests' before the door is fully open.
I have this exact problem with the drivers door. I was parked on a cambered road, opened the drivers door and it swung straight out to scrape the pavement. :mad:

New check strap has been ordered and I shall be following Tian's guide this weekend. :)

·
Registered
92 Posts
The Door Strap clicking is a common problem on a lot of two door cars (heavier doors). The cause of it is the weight of the door pushing down on the strap, forcing it to create a small gap on the hinge part connected to the chassis.... and if you watch it closely, you will see it popping up (clicking) as you open and close the door.

You can either replace them (not easy on the ALFA 147) or as i have done.... undo the bolts from the chassis side, and swing the door open. Then get right in there with a set of mole grips and squeeze it together. Then just bolt it back on, and give it a good grease.

Works perfect, and saves £30.00
I'll give this a go this weekend on my 156 and report back.

·
Registered
220 Posts
hi the door check strap will have a broken lug on inner bracket remove door card to gain acces take out strap and get to a good welder and it will repair just done mine on my 156 total success
D.S.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.