Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, this is my second 147 and this one has the same problem as the last one. When you open or close the doors you get a terrible knocking sound coming from the straps. It's an easy fix and provided the replacement doesn't sheer a bold like mine did at the weekend :mad:doesn't take an hour a door.

Thing is, is this a problem on all aging 147s or am I just unlucky?

T

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
can't say on the 147, but a couple of the works Mercs (wow that rhymes), have a similar problem.....and they're on a 58 'plate. Some don't open fully, others are VERY hard to close and make a wide range of clonky-clunk noises when the door is opened or closed.
Not bad on a fleet of 6!

Not had any such trouble with the 156, could be the strap/bolt manufacturer is German?

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I get this problem on my 156. The dealer changed one strap and lubed the others a while back, but the two front doors are knocking / clicking again. I'm not sure what is involved in changing a strap - does the door card have to be removed?

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
got it on the drivers side on my 2006 GT. tried lithium grease/WD40 but no good. Replacement is about £15 from dealer. Pretty sure the door cards don't need to come off ...on the GT anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the door card has to come off and on the 147 the speaker has to be taken off to allow access. It's not a difficult job and like I say and only takes a couple of hours tops to do two. It also makes a huge difference to the feeling of not getting into an old banger!

T lol

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I had this problem on a 1 year old 145 I had years ago and over the last couple of weeks I've been looking for a 147 for my wife and some have this problem with the door check straps too. If it's a 3 door car I think it's because the doors are so heavy and long. The door must pull down when it's opened and cantilever on the strap which eventually breaks through stress. That's my theory anyway!

·
Registered
310 Posts
The straps were actually modified a couple of years ago. The newer ones have a black plastic covering on part of them, and shouldn't have this problem. Straightforward swap I believe.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
The straps were actually modified a couple of years ago. The newer ones have a black plastic covering on part of them, and shouldn't have this problem. Straightforward swap I believe.
You are right! Changed both on my GT which includes plastic coverings.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Yep, my 147 too.

Also had it on my 145. This clacked for a while, then broke completely so that there was no check at all. Great on a windy day! Can't quite remember exactly how it failed...the part of the bracket in the door splits into two with first one bit of metal breaking, then the other. The clacking is the incredible spring tension of metal hitting metal as the hinge moves across the two 'arrests' before the door is fully open.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gents

I'm doing mine as we speak on a 2005 facelift 147 & I'm stumped. Have taken the trim off and the speaker and there is no access to the rear of the door strap!???

There is a sheet of glass behind the speaker in the inside of the door preventing any access.

It looks like the strap will just pull out from the front.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gents

I'm doing mine as we speak on a 2005 facelift 147 & I'm stumped. Have taken the trim off and the speaker and there is no access to the rear of the door strap!???

There is a sheet of glass behind the speaker in the inside of the door preventing any access.

It looks like the strap will just pull out from the front.

Any ideas?
Sounds like you're trying to do it with the window down! All you need to do is wind it up and you should have easy access. As far as I know the only difference between the 'old' 147 and the face lift is cosmetic, I'm sure the doors are the same.

As for the revised straps themselves they do have a plastic covering on the strap itself. Hopefully this is a fix and the issue doesn't just reoccur after a year or so!

T

·
Registered
149 Posts
ive got this as well on my 156 all i do is tighten the torxs screws in th door and car door piller and it goes away for a while my screws are knkerd though must get some new ones

·
Registered
56 Posts
well gentlemen, i really did have one of those days yesterday.....

After having complete mental meltdown thinking for an hour why on earth there would be a sheet of glass on the inside of the door, i got to work....(Thanks to Tian for his counselling, Im still laughing about it now.)

So with said glass removed I fitted the new strap, it went in a dream until I sheared the bolt off doing up the 2 check nuts. £15 straight down the toilet. " TOP TIP" dont have a phone call with your Mum whilst tightening up these......Replaced it with the other new strap and then threaded the bolt fitting on the car body.....Finally managed to get it sorted but what a nightmare, a 30 min job took 4 hours....

I have decided to leave the passenger side for another day.

Cheers

Spatz

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well gentlemen, i really did have one of those days yesterday.....

After having complete mental meltdown thinking for an hour why on earth there would be a sheet of glass on the inside of the door, i got to work....(Thanks to Tian for his counselling, Im still laughing about it now.)

So with said glass removed I fitted the new strap, it went in a dream until I sheared the bolt off doing up the 2 check nuts. £15 straight down the toilet.
Surely you can get a replacement from the Dealer, I am picking mine up on Saturday morning and will hopefully be fitting it again there and then.

" TOP TIP" dont have a phone call with your Mum whilst tightening up these......Replaced it with the other new strap and then threaded the bolt fitting on the car body.....Finally managed to get it sorted but what a nightmare, a 30 min job took 4 hours....
The last time I spoke to my Mother whilst doing something else I ended up throwing my mobile into a bucket of old aquarium water full of fish crap! Like I said, we all have those days.

T:D

·
Registered
942 Posts
Sorry to hijack a thread, but does anywhere online sell new Check Straps or they dealer only parts?
Anyone have the part numbers for the 147 door check straps?

·
Registered
56 Posts
im sure an indie alfa parts store can get them but most dealers have them in stock as they break so often. My nearest dealer said he sells 5 sets a month, for the 147 they are £15...

1 - 20 of 89 Posts