Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes so would I, but you would not believe the amount of disc and pad combinations I have used to no avail (see my previous posts) and the amount of people that complain about squeaking on these brakes seems to be out of all proportion to other cars

·
Administrator
46,725 Posts
Generally speaking, mine have been fine.

When I had DS2500 pads though they were terrible - to the extent that I swapped back to 'standard' type pads.

Currently, I'm suddenly getting squeal from the front right again. Including very occasional rhythmic squeaking when travelling. I wonder whether I've got a sticky caliper piston or something?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine have started squeaking a lot more recently. Checked the pads and plenty of pad left. It is quite embarrassing really as you just know people are thinking 'typical alfa' but I'm just going to put up with it and change to Brembo discs and pads eventually. May well strip them and apply some copper slip in the mean time once I've finished moving house!

As long as they work, which they certainly do, not worth worrying about. Many high performance brakes squeal.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Try a couple of panic stops from reasonable speed (60 mph or so), without other cars behind you ;)
Usually helps for some time .....
i've been told that the noise is due to the removal of asbestos from the compound?
Doesn't explain why some get it and some don't!!
Has anyone had a good solution? I've gone down the copper slip route and is normally ok for a bit but then returns.

·
Premium Member
7,692 Posts

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
MTEC discs, Mintex boggo pads, no squeal. Bit early to tell as they are pretty new so I haven't used them hard.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Can be caused by dust under the pad seats or weak anti squeal springs. Autolusso sell the springs and pins but cleaning the dust out from under the seats is a full caliper rebuild job.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mine have started squeaking a lot more recently. Checked the pads and plenty of pad left. It is quite embarrassing really as you just know people are thinking 'typical alfa' but I'm just going to put up with it and change to Brembo discs and pads eventually. May well strip them and apply some copper slip in the mean time once I've finished moving house!

As long as they work, which they certainly do, not worth worrying about. Many high performance brakes squeal.
Just don't change to oem brembo with the sole aim of stopping squealing... You may be disappointed

·
Registered
908 Posts
Fix the squeal on mine tonight - one side was making a squeal unless I put my foot gently on the brake pedal. This on new EBC pads.

More copper slip seems to have fixed it.

Reactions: maly85

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I get a little squeal as I come to a stop if my brakes are hot (Brembo discs and pads {330mm}) I used to take the pads, pins out and give everything a little coat of coppaslip once every six months, but I got bored of doing that and it's not really that bad on mine. My squeal is only slight and you can easily live with it.

·
Administrator
46,725 Posts
How hard is it to get at the back surface of the pads to apply new copper slip? Do you have to take them all apart?

·
Registered
30,221 Posts
How hard is it to get at the back surface of the pads to apply new copper slip? Do you have to take them all apart?
It needs to be applied to the parts of the pad that slide on the caliper & piston.
So pins out & pads out.

Copaslip on the pins too before you refit them.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Whip the wheel off, then use a small drift to remove the two pad retaining pins....they come out from the backside of the caliper. Now the retaining spring will pop off, and lastly drift out the right angled pad shim between the top of the pad and the caliper. Give everything a good clean with brake cleaner and a stiff wire brush for the really stubborn pad debris. Apply a little coppaslip to the back of the pads where they meet the piston, and also the top and bottom of the pad where they slide on the caliper/carrier. Do the same with the retaining pins.
It may help to reduce the squeal and it's good maintenance to give the calipers a clean up every now and again.
I also put a little coppaslip on the facing surface of the hub to help the wheel to come off next time around, and a little on the bolts too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts