Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Well....?

• Other / Old damaged Human DNA found on Mars.....:eek: ;)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You will witness....man landing on Mars in your life time ??

Now I have an open mind on what happened or didn't happen regarding the moon landing....especially with given technology of the day :rolleyes:

But that aside

·
Premium Member
42,863 Posts
No way pal....we ain't got the technology...:(

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The amount of radiation up there once out of the protection of the magnetic field would kill us before we got even close to the moon, let alone mars. We would need a craft made of lead so thick it would never leave the atmosphere.

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The amount of radiation up there once out of the protection of the magnetic field would kill us before we got even close to the moon, let alone mars. We would need a craft made of lead so thick it would never leave the atmosphere.
It depends if a developed electro-magnetic envelope could be yeilded from the craft ala StarTrek...etc to create a Faraday effect...to have the radiation be absorbed or bent round it...:confused:

That way no Pb so the required mass would be less

Or create some way of negating the mass - perhaps by creating an anti-gravity field effect, using frequency driven electromagnetic propulsion systems to do this...? Question is would this kind of system be reliant on creating gravitons ??

Not quite sure if Gravitons would be required to create an anti-gravitational force - as by creating enought energy to displace mass...

I think the answer to displacement of mass could be, by attempting manipulation of photons from a high energy radiation source...:confused:

Chris

·
Administrator
87,611 Posts

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
It depends if a developed electro-magnetic envelope could be yeilded from the craft ala StarTrek...etc to create a Faraday effect...to have the radiation be absorbed or bent round it...:confused:
That way no Pb so the required mass would be less
Or create some way of negating the mass - perhaps by creating an anti-gravity field effect, using frequency driven electromagnetic propulsion systems to do this...? Question is would this kind of system be reliant on creating gravitons ??
Not quite sure if Gravitons would be required to create an anti-gravitational force - as by creating enought energy to displace mass...
I think the answer to displacement of mass could be, by attempting manipulation of photons from a high energy radiation source...:confused
Borrocks :p

:D

·
Registered
32,442 Posts
in a word.................No :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
If we timed it right we could always go to the sun at nightime. I'd have to ask chrisd_b as he has all the scientific jargon.

·
Registered
43,564 Posts

·
Vendor
46,135 Posts
I reckon within 60 years we'll be on Mars. That'd make me 82, so probably within my life time :)

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
More chance of picking up rocking horse poop ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
I voted no,because at age 36 unless it happens in the next 40 years I dont think I'll be around to see it.
I've been watching the various space programmes on discovery science recently in awe at the achievements made in the mid to late 1960's and you could almost see the dissapointment of some of the people who took part at that time that very little has been achieved since.
Watching the SaturnV rocket launch,at 360 feet tall flying to the moon in 1969 must have been one of the most awesome sights ever.

Its amazing how engineering in some ways seems to have stalled over the last couple of decades,I cant really think of any amazing projects recently to really light my fire.

Ones that have-
Mid 60s - Harrier jump jet-never really been bettered
1969 - Man on the moon
1969 - Concorde - first class at mach 2
1969 - Boeing 747
1975 - Viking landers on Mars
1977 - Voyagers 1 and 2
proboably a few others but nothing really exciting.

Although I think the space race was all down to the cold war with Americans V the Russians,once the Americans put a man on the moon,the race was effectivley over,plus taxpayers were starting to resent the costs.

Funnily enough though,for a while now I've been thinking man walking on Mars is one thing I would really love to see before I cop it.:)

H

·
0 Posts
No I don't think we will, not because of technology, but a collective lack of willpower, and governments that just don't want to spend on space exploration.

When Kenedy said 'We choose to go to the moon' he gave NASA carte blanche and an essentially unlimited budget to do so.

When Bush talked about exploring mars he cut NASA's spending

·
Registered
13,236 Posts
Aye! We can get there anytime we want.. but it's a 3 years round trip and it'll cost even more than having a v6 serviced at a main dealer...

But I think we will still do it... "Mars" is building up some impetus and of course now the Chinese are sending up Astronauts. USA won't be able to resist it.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
I am just waiting for the first Chinese communist to land on the moon.....and then wait for the first western company to open up a factory and capitalise on the cheap labour.

I the meantime, yanks rely on the Russians in order to get their astronauts to the ISS.At least there is plenty of vodka on board

1 - 20 of 29 Posts