Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You may have read recently that the bottom end on my 2.0JTS started knocking after a hard run and was down 3ltrs of oil.

Car is 52 plate and very tidy with 72k and I paid £4500 18 months ago with38k on the clock.

The knocking is serious and I had decided to get rid of the car and spending £6k on a BMW, VW or Audi as I have an Audi Avant as a family car and have owned both other Marks without issue.

But today in I agreed to pay my local alfa garage £2350 for a new engine and roll bar drop bushes.

My reasoning is that I will have a 60k/3year warranty and a car I love driving (but drives me mad!) and if I get another second hand car I won't have any such garuntees.

Please reasure me that I am not mad..

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Not mad just a true Alfa driver!:)

To me its the cheaper option:)

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Rich more like?:D
Who's "RICH" didn't see his post:confused:

Naw go for it as i said it will be the better option..

2900ish is not bad for a new heart:thumbs:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not rich anymore Zulu Ferrett !

But better off than spending £6k even if my wife does hate my spoiler and was hoping for a more subtle car!

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
Ya its aint bad...

Just spoil your wife:cheese:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Well, just as we speak, that's another TS bottom end failure.:mad: I was driving my sister's man's 156 this evening, and the bottom end has decided to let go and knocking in good style. Will hopefully get a look at it soon (he'll use mine in the meantime) and I only hope the crank journals aren't gubbed. The oil light didnt come on but defo big ends. Bloody Fiat cut-price crap enginnering standards.:rant: :mad: Why oh why couldn't they just let Alfa do the engine and they make a cheap head for themselves.:rant: Common sense dictactes if you want a reliable bottom end on a performance head which is likely to be driven with vigour, make the bottom end good in the first place.

It's a 51 plate 2.0TS with 154k on the clock. I doubt we'll scrap it even if it needs and engine. If recons can be had for 1k, then considering it's just had 4 tyres, brakes all round, 2 top wishbones, and rev counter then it's worth doing, BTW it also has a factory recon gearbox in it.

I think I know why the bottom end let go. Since I sold the car to Jeff, it has only had an oil change every 30k. Yes, that's right, he's had it nearly 2 years, and only fixes it when it stops and breaks.:tut: :rant: The lesson is, change your oil. :rant: At the other end of the scale, my sister and I are both very picky about intervals and oil used. The £50 oil is so much cheaper in the long run.:rolleyes:

All in all, other than what's listed above, since Jeff got the car, it's only needed a clutch slave cylinder and wiper blades between 92K and 154K. Absolutely amazing reliability all things considered.:eek: :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,001 Posts
All in all, other than what's listed above, since Jeff got the car, it's only needed a clutch slave cylinder and wiper blades between 92K and 154K. Absolutely amazing reliability all things considered.!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOOPS:lol:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
And an engine.:lol:

Again!:p

Doh!:mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts