Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
34,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You barista!
Trying to take the thread in the wrong direction.
Back on track;
If there’s air between the grinds, water will treat it as a shortcut and speed through. If there’s no (or minimal) air, the grinds will slow the water down.
Unfortunately, coffee grinds aren’t always uniformly dense, and ‘somewhere between fluffy and compact’ isn’t very precise. So we need to compress them together, eliminating that void space. This way, the grind size is the deciding factor for flow rate; not the amount of air between the grinds.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Never had the equipment that requires me to tamp.

I do as Keithy does most of the time, minus the sweetener, occasionally I use a cafetière.

But good advice for you people that do tamp.

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
When using an espresso maker on the hob I always tamp it down. I also make sure I put plenty in so when you screw the bits together it gets compressed further. I use a cafetiere and usually leave it to brew for 5 minutes.

Reactions: cue2

·
Registered
34,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m not sure about cafetière coffee but at least tamping occurs in the process.
We have two stove-top Alessi devices by Richard Sapper with a bayonet action instead of screw together.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Tamp with the heel of the thumb (thenar). That's as described in the instructions from the manufacturer. Obviously not allowed in coffee shops but it is a good way of judging the force.

As for instant coffee.:nono:

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
When I can be bothered to drag the coffee machine out, then I do indeed tamp - one of the reasons that I didn't initially get on with our Sage machine - you really have to tamp the grounds pretty damn hard to build up the desired pressure - that's when someone isn't b*ggering around with the grind size of course.

Dare I say it... instant is so easier, and quicker (clue's in the name), and requires me not having to empty trays and clean steam wands and other paraphernalia, 90% of the time, I'll take a sub-par coffee to all that faff.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
But is it really coffee? Should be called coffee substitute. My brother used to like Camp, Bev and Bon which were liquid 'coffee' substitutes (essences) with chicory. Disgusting stuff.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I put beans in one end, water in the other and after a great deal of whirring and banging, coffee comes out the middle. It certainly sounds like it gets tamped.

·
Registered
14,863 Posts
I put beans in one end, water in the other and after a great deal of whirring and banging, coffee comes out the middle. It certainly sounds like it gets tamped.
Sounds like one of Fred Dibnah's ex-girlfiends.

·
Registered
337 Posts
It does sound as if Wallace might have had a hand in it, yes, but it's an Italian bean-to-cup coffee machine. I bought it because I too was fed up with cleaning the simple espresso machine I had before.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Tamp with the heel of the thumb (thenar). That's as described in the instructions from the manufacturer. Obviously not allowed in coffee shops but it is a good way of judging the force.

As for instant coffee.:nono:
Crunchy? ;)

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
Every morning I switch on the coffee machine and dig through the frodge for my breakfast. After warming the machine and the cup by pumping hot water through the system without any coffee I get to the serious business of making actual coffee. One carefully measured spoonful of coffee and, yes, I tamp it! You would have to be a coffee anarchist not to tamp! :p :lol: To tamp you push the ground coffee into the filter, do not, and I mean ever twist the tamper! Heathens!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts