Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....which is your fave book and why?

Mine is Pyramids, it was the first Pratchett I read and is still my fave, I think it has the best story by far.

:)

Sean

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Guards Guards - my first Pratchett book and my favourite funnily enough. There's just something about small pet dragons with colds that appeals for some reason...

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guards Guards - my first Pratchett book and my favourite funnily enough. There's just something about small pet dragons with colds that appeals for some reason...
Is that the one where there is a runt dragon that has a flame like a blowtorch?

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
I think I have read them all and it is hard to pick a favourite. I have a soft spot for The Light Fantastic but I would probably go with Guards Guards as a favourite and Men at Arms.

Corporal Nobbs - disqualified from the human race for shoving.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Maybe there's a link here - my favourite's Men at Arms, and it was the first one I read.
I've just started Snuff, the new one, that my girlfriend got me for Christmas. It'll be interesting to see how it goes now he's been diagnosed with Alzheimers!

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
Read them all, couldn't pick a favourite.

Unseen Academicals had me worried that his writing skills are fading (or, more likely, that the act of dictation rather than writing means the end result isn't as good).
Snuff didn't so much - but at the same time seemed to have a very different writing style.

That said, they're both very good books (although UU wasn't on the first read, much better on the second.)

I won't go into details and spoil it, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else thinks Willikins is all wrong in Snuff?

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Not read Snuff yet. Agree that Unseen Academicals seemed to have a different style. Not re-read it yet. May be better second time around.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I read all the early ones (10 or so). My favourite was always "Mort" loved the whole Death's Apprentice thing. The Discworld seemed to get more complicated and less appealing in the later books. Maybe I just lost interest, but I'll always have a soft spot for those first few books :)

·
Registered
37,649 Posts
Started at the beginning, with Colour of Magic.

Hard to pick a fave, liked Rincewind & Granny Weatherwax, all the characters that were developed over two and three books.

Mort was good, like the idea of having a horse called 'Binky'

·
Vendor
45,796 Posts
I read about 3 or 4 Pratchett books when I was about 14 or 15, however I didn't really enjoy any of them. Would it be worth trying one again now? I am an avid reader of both fiction & non-fiction and was quite suprised that I didn't get on with Pratchett as I was expecting to from reading the blurbs. Maybe they were too old for me at the time?

·
Registered
296 Posts
my wife has read them all and gives me selected ones to read.
Can't remember all the titles, but music with rocks in was (whatever it was called) and I've just read a book he wrote with Neil Gaiman called , 'Good Omens' that certainly had it's moments.

S

·
0 Posts
Good Omens is one of the few books I've read multiple times. And one of even fewer that makes me laugh out loud.

The best book about Armageddon you'll ever read. :thumbs:

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hi

First I tried reading was Colour Of Magic. Didn't get on with it at all and didn't try any others for a few years.

Favourite was Mort.

All the best

Keith

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
I've read many but not all of them. I think Guards!Guards! was my first many years ago and it led me on to read quite a few more. I can't say I really have a favourite as I tend to just want to enjoy whatever is next but Mort is probably up there. I had "I shall wear midnight" for the last summer holiday, probably not quite as funny as I'd remembered the older ones but a diverting day's read.

·
Administrator
45,537 Posts
The Tiffany Aching novels - more than any other Discworld books - need to be read in order to get the best from them. Had you already read the previous three?

That said, he's done some 'darker' books recently, with less humour in place. Night Watch was one such - and now I think back, might be amongst my favourites - it's excellent.

·
Registered
24,536 Posts
The Tiffany Aching novels - more than any other Discworld books - need to be read in order to get the best from them. Had you already read the previous three?

That said, he's done some 'darker' books recently, with less humour in place. Night Watch was one such - and now I think back, might be amongst my favourites - it's excellent.
No, it was my first of those. Lisa just bought it along with half a dozen other books for our road trip to Italy last summer. She knew I'd read a lot of his stuff and it was good of her to save me shopping.:) The character was pretty well developed, so I'm not surprised I felt I had missed something too.

I think I've read Night Watch.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good Omens is one of the few books I've read multiple times. And one of even fewer that makes me laugh out loud.

The best book about Armageddon you'll ever read. :thumbs:
Having read a lot of Gaiman i'd say theres more Gaiman than Pratchett in Good Omens

1 - 20 of 26 Posts