• other

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 85 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading more and more about this and I am sick to death of it. I just wonder what people here think?

Personally I think what we do may affect the climate but it will be so insignificant, history has shown climate changing back and forth long before the car and industrialization.

My concern personally is not with climate change, but our over dependancy on fossil fuels, that will eventually run out.

In the bigger picture I see nothing available at present other than nuclear power that would meet our energy needs should we have no oil.

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
I wish we could concentrate on how to deal with the phenomenal waste that man creates rather than dwelling on catastrophe theories.

The more you tell folk that 'The end is nigh', the more they ignore you. Just ask the chap with the sandwich board at Hyde Park Corner :lol:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish we could concentrate on how to deal with the phenomenal waste that man creates rather than dwelling on catastrophe theories.

The more you tell folk that 'The end is nigh', the more they ignore you. Just ask the chap with the sandwich board at Hyde Park Corner :lol:
Very true Gibbo :)

I often how much time and energy is wasted on trying to 'educate' all us thickos as to how bad C02 emmisions are and coming up with crazy ideas.

I even read that the olympic flame in London will use low carbon fuel, I mean ffs!!!

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
Yes - Climate Change is a fact. The cause is (slightly) debatable (the bulk of evidence points to CO2 and other greenhouse gas emmissions). The consequences could be disastrous.

The fact that there have been natural changes in the past is burying our heads in the sand. A natural change would have dire consequences as well.

·
Registered
37,185 Posts
I think it is happening, but it is part of a natural cycle. I do think that human activity may be speeding the process up though.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
I believe climate change is real, but 100% natural.

I still care about the planet so i like to minimise waste and recycle where possible.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yes - Climate Change is a fact. The cause is (slightly) debatable (the bulk of evidence points to CO2 and other greenhouse gas emmissions). The consequences could be disastrous.

The fact that there have been natural changes in the past is burying our heads in the sand. A natural change would have dire consequences as well.
Well put.

The evidence is pretty clear. Even the George Bush and the oil companies in the US (i.e. those whose self-interests are best served by denial) are finally accepting the mountain of evidence.

Meanwhile, most of us just go about our daily lives reading the speculation and BS in the papers, and watching TV and believing in whatever we want to believe in - regardless of the evidence which is there to be found (if you try).

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
What He Said !! :thumbs:

·
Registered
524 Posts
The world has started to go thru one of it's many climate changes,as it has done in the past.we cant stop it or slow it down,that would be interfering with mother nature herself.so we'll have to go along for the ride and see what happens.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
The climate changes all by itself, countless ice ages have proven this, people should stop whinging about it and stock up on canned goods and warm clothes for the onset of a very long winter ;) :p

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
My take is that the climate has always changed, ever since the world started.

We're bound to be affecting it, but I'm not sure by how much - I think 'a tiny amount' might be about right.

Big problem is that there is 'science' on both sides but only the "man-made global warming" side seems to get much media coverage, with anyone who disagrees being labelled a "climate change denialist".

Might be more constructive to look at how we can best get through an inevitable climate change than to spend so much time trying to prove that man is/isn't causing it.

·
Registered
37,185 Posts
I think the person who came up with the term "Climate change denialist" works for government in the taxation department.

I don't see how CO2 emmisions can carry on as they are anyway, oil will run out soon, and the cycle will reverse.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I recommend that you read the wikipedia page on the subject (search for Global warming). Much more enlightening than ten Jeremy Clarksons, George Bushes or the Daily Mail.

Remember, it's lazy just to jump to the conclusion that best fits your own self-interest, and it rarely leads to the correct conclusion. You need to question such beliefs more strongly than those which have neutral consequences to oneself.

Does that make sense? I am not very lucid today!

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
The "climate change is natural" response has been around for a while now and there is a great weight of evidence against natural cuases this time. Previous climate changes have seldom been global, with effects seen only in localised areas or even reverse effects on the opposite side of the globe. The current trend IS global.

Also, sun-based warming starts at the Equator. The largest and most rapid changes we are seeing at the moment are at the poles; this is consistent with warming caused by the greenhouse effect.

As for the scientific divide - there isn't one. Less than 5% of scientists argue against anthropogenic causes, and many of those who do are in the pay of the oil companies and others with a vested interest.

On the bright side (no pun intended) recent trends show a slight reduction in the rate of warming, but whether we should simply cross our fingers and hope or adopt the precuationary principle, is worth considering.

·
Registered
37,185 Posts
The only problem with Wikipedia is that it can be changed by anyone, and the person who wrote the article is probably a strong climate change believer, and not a sceptic like many people.

The government say they would love us to all buy electric cars to cut CO2 emissions. What they then fail to mention is that we would need new power stations so that we can charge them. Unless these are powered by renewable sources then we are not really any further forward, and quite possibly CO2 emissions from the country as a whole would rise.

·
Registered
19,680 Posts
The government say they would love us to all buy electric cars to cut CO2 emissions. What they then fail to mention is that we would need new power stations so that we can charge them. Unless these are powered by renewable sources then we are not really any further forward, and quite possibly CO2 emissions from the country as a whole would rise.
I wasn't aware that the Government did say that, but you're right that electric cars are not the answer. I have heard it said that they are more efficient at converting energy to movement but that misses the point; the efficiency is lost when you convert fossil fuel to electricity at the power station. The only real benefit you get from electric cars is lower local pollution levels, but from cradle to grave they are an environmental disaster.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
I wasn't aware that the Government did say that, but you're right that electric cars are not the answer. I have heard it said that they are more efficient at converting energy to movement but that misses the point; the efficiency is lost when you convert fossil fuel to electricity at the power station. The only real benefit you get from electric cars is lower local pollution levels, but from cradle to grave they are an environmental disaster.
Yup, that's fairly well documented, all those batteries to dispose of in a eco friendly way. I wonder why the government doesn't put more into advertising sustainable transport. Sustrans have been opening up a lot of the old branch lines as cycleways as part of the national cycle network.

It's something I've been thinking of looking into as an alternative to driving to work on nice days. There's a canal at the bottom of my road and a canal runs about qtr of a mile away from where I work, they have to meet up somewhere but i'll be buggered if I have to cycle to leeds then back out to huddersfield (there's a big hill in the way and I dont do hills), it's be something like a 80 mile round trip to work each day :cheese:

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Climate change is occuring, that's undeniable.
It's also increased hugely since the industrial expanse of the last hundred years, that too is undeniable.
It is just possible that humans are having little or no effect on this, and it's largely natural, BUT statistics, whether you like it or not, do suggest otherwise.

I believe that if there is even a 1% chance that climate change can be slowed or stopped, then it is our responsibility to do everything we can to do just that, sitting back and saying 'we can't do anything' is massively irresponsible given the stakes concerned.

We're not the only race that lives on the planet, and it's hugely arrogant to think that we have the right to sit back and do nothing if there is even a minute chance to help.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts