Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have you locked your keys in thecar? Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handysomeday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in thecar and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on theirmobile phone from your cell phone.Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have theperson at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobilephone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having todrive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds ofmiles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' foryour car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our carover a mobile phone!'

=============

·
Registered
556 Posts
Well im defo goin to try it just to see - i got the ai606 interactive alarm so if i lock my keys in the car i just text the car and it will open

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,328 Posts
I think the idea is that the radio signal can be transmitted down a phone line and come out the other end unaffected....
Absolutely not ! You can't send a RF frequency down a 'phone to come out at the other end as RF, what you end up with is audio.

Assuming that the cars lock is triggered by RF this cannot possibly work. On the other hand even if the car lock works on an audio signal, which they don't, the limited bandwidth on the 'phone system would probably prevent it from working anyway.

Can't test this on mine as I don't have keyless locks, who's going outside to test this and put it to bed ?

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
Well if you can text your car - why would you bother or worry whether you can unlock it by trying to send it the signal from your fob through a phone :confused:

·
Registered
556 Posts
ah right i get ya :lol: - well i just like to know if these things work - you know wot i mean. Ill probably never need to do it but i still like to know things like watching programmes on how they make snooker cues - ill never do it but at least I know how its done, just makes me feel that little bit better :lol:

·
Banned
7,679 Posts
ah right i get ya :lol: - well i just like to know if these things work - you know wot i mean. Ill probably never need to do it but i still like to know things like watching programmes on how they make snooker cues - ill never do it but at least I know how its done, just makes me feel that little bit better :lol:
I have a home alarm that interacts with my phone - and I still stuff it up...

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
This does work. I tried it with my Mercedes last year.

I had a mate standing at the car, and I walked backwards down the street, pressing the fob every now and then until it stopped working. Then I walked a little further away just to be sure.

I then phoned him up on his mobile, pressed the fob down the phone and bingo... unlocked car!

I also tried the trick where you get a longer range if you hold your keyfob to your head. That works too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
yeah the head thing does seem to work - isnt that different tho cos your just amplifiying the signal using the body?

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,322 Posts
Saw this happen at a Reno dealer two or three months ago. And it worked.

g

N

·
0 Posts
Yes, and if you fart down the phone, the person
on the other end can smell it too.
Honest! :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts