Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I'm picking up a GTV V6 at the weekend and it has red rocker/cam covers.

Of course I've been googling pics of Alfas and their engines like a nutter.... as you do.. :lol:
and I've notivced some V6s have silver/alloy cam covers and some are red.

Any reason?

Thanks
James

·
Registered
38,912 Posts
It simply means someone has painted them.

They would have been silver with red lettering to start with, but someone has made the car into a Testarossa.

I do think it looks good if done properly. :)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks very much Symon.

I was secretly hoping someone would tell me it was a special 1000bhp version... lol.

Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
It simply means someone has painted them.

They would have been silver with red lettering to start with, but someone has made the car into a Testarossa.

I do think it looks good if done properly. :)
symon are you 100% on that? the reason I ask is that the rocker cover on mine is red powder coat rather than just paint which makes me think it came from the factory like that, it would have cost a few quid to have a small piece like that done.

Perksy, what year is the GTV? mine is an early phase 2 98(S), also is it just the front cover that's red or is the plenum chamber at the rear red too? if so I think its probably been done by a previous owner.

My thinking (albeit completely unfounded) is that the early 24v V6's came with it as standard but unfortunately Perksy I don't think it signifies anything engine spec wise. Good luck with the car anyway and dont drive to crazy on the way home in this weather! :cool:

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
symon are you 100% on that? the reason I ask is that the rocker cover on mine is red powder coat rather than just paint which makes me think it came from the factory like that, it would have cost a few quid to have a small piece like that done.
I think he's right, anyone on here who has red rocker covers has painted/ powdercoated them rather than buying a set from another car.

·
Registered
38,912 Posts
I am 99.9% sure that I am correct.

Powder coating isn't that expensive if you get them done a normal shade of red and prep them yourself.

If I was doing them I would etch prime them and spray with 2 pack though. I don't like the way powdercoat comes off and corrosion gets under it.

·
Vendor
46,433 Posts
They were definitely all silver - anything else is aftermarket or home-made.

If anyone wants powder coated cam covers or plenums I could get you one.. I have a highly polished nickel-plated plenum and front bank rocker cover at work, looks fantastic but only if the rest of your engine bay is spotless.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Cheers for that guys,
Given that the car wasn't really pampered before It came to me I made the assumption that none of the previous owners would have bothered going to the lengths of having bits powder coated, obviously one of them was an alfisti!

I agree though it does improve the look of the engine bay and is pretty much fit and forget, wipe it over with a rag now and then (when you miss the oil filler :p) and its as good as new.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks gents.

Now I've got the car on my driveway I'm in two minds whether its a home-brew paint job. It certainly looks nicely done and covers the front and rear cylinder banks. I'll look more carefully in the morning. I like the look of it though.

James

·
Registered
691 Posts
Does look good if done properly. The plenum on my strat engine has been removed (to make way for ITB's) and both cam box covers are painted with red crackle finish paint:thumbs: Must say I hate those ally covers over the front coil packs so I've decided to make some redesigned and smaller Carbon fibre items that will do the front cop's and the now uncovered rears.

I'm getting a semi, just thinking about it :lol:

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Carbon Fibre you say.... Hmmmmm.

Let me know how you get on with that one and PLEASE make more than one set... :inlove:

James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts