Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through the Autotrader Classified when to my surprise I saw my old Alfa for sale (PX’d over 2 Years ago for a measly sum of £1000).

To my horror I noticed it was up for sale for £4000 and with 74,000 miles on the clock (Strange! As when I Px’d it, it had over 105,000 on the clock!) CHEEKY B*&tards!!!!

Not only that it had a damaged wing and to top things off the cambelt was shagged and so was the turbo! Oh and another thing all the glow plugs will need hell coils as some numpty at my local garage cross threaded every single one.

What should I do now? Should I contact the local Police or Trading Standards as I’ve got all the proof to hand?
Oh the link to the page is:

2003 ALFA ROMEO 156 2.4 JTD Veloce 2

G

·
I was looking through the Autotrader Classified when to my surprise I saw my old Alfa for sale (PX’d over 2 Years ago for a measly sum of £1000).

To my horror I noticed it was up for sale for £4000 and with 74,000 miles on the clock (Strange! As when I Px’d it, it had over 105,000 on the clock!) CHEEKY B*&tards!!!!

Not only that it had a damaged wing and to top things off the cambelt was shagged and so was the turbo! Oh and another thing all the glow plugs will need hell coils as some numpty at my local garage cross threaded every single one.

What should I do now? Should I contact the local Police or Trading Standards as I’ve got all the proof to hand?
Oh the link to the page is:

2003 ALFA ROMEO 156 2.4 JTD Veloce 2

notify the rozzers mate i would

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
The car could have been repaired of course, bit different with the mileage though! I'm sure Local Authority Trading Standards will be pleased to hear from you.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I would report it. But having looked on the DVLA website I'm not sure how you would go about it. Maybe Trading Standards or Crime Stoppers? I would be reluctant to report it directly to the police as it's likely to cost you an arm and a leg for the phone call, (you can't use 999, so it will be an 0871 number or something), plus they may come round take your fingerprints and check your own vehicle over for 'non-compliances'. These comments are based on my own first hand experiences after reporting an abandoned vehicle, reporting the theft of a car stereo from my car and reporting the break-in of another car owned by me (obviously on separate occasions). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
953 Posts
The old bill can only fingerprint you after they have arrested you on suspicion on commiting a crime, they will only give you're current motor over if they suspect that you are the person responsible for falsifying the mileage.

As per the 0871 numbers you local phone directory will give you local numbers for your local nick, alternatively use a site like SayNoTo0870 or make a free personal visit to you're local cop shop.

You must report this and I hope my post addresses some of the concerns raised.

G

·
Needs to be reported I'm afraid. I'd give the garage a ring and inform them first of all then notify Trading Standards

·
Registered
39,044 Posts
I would report it as well.

I doubt they will try an accuse you of clocking it, as you are hardly likely to report your own crime are you...

G

·
If it isn't nicked the dibble won't be that interested, Trading Standards will though. Either ring crimestoppers or find the number for Trading Standards local to the garage on Yell.com.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I would report it , but if the police in the UK are of the same standard as in Holland, nothing will happen...
I did report vandalism some time ago, had to personally go to the police station (costed me half a day)
they hammered a keyboard for half an hour and that was it !! nothing happened I even knew the names of
the culprits.. but no proof so they said
What the police are good in is standing behind trees with laser guns and radars... in 2009 12 million tickets
where issued in Holland (population 16 million) mainly speeding and parking fines. Thats where the priority lies,
money grabbing......

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
The old bill can only fingerprint you after they have arrested you on suspicion on commiting a crime, they will only give you're current motor over if they suspect that you are the person responsible for falsifying the mileage.
Unfortunately, not true. I was fingerprinted in my home when my car was broken into for 'elimination purposes', after they promised to check my car for prints to see if they could catch the offender. Like a mug I agreed. As soon as they had my prints, they legged it without dusting my car. And yes, I'm deadly serious. On a previous occasion, when I had another car broken into and the stereo stolen, the police came round, checked my tyres and tax disc and then legged it again.

·
Registered
44,882 Posts
They might have changed the engine and changed the milage to match? Highly unlikely but possible.
Doesn't matter, it is an offence to wind back the mileage. A trip to the police station, the garage selling the car and finally a letter with photocopied proof of the mileage to Trading Standards.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
It's not just the engine that clocks up the miles, it's the whole car. So yes, of course the mileage has to show the full amount that the car has been driven - unless the clocks have been changed and there is proof of the mileage at the time this was done, so that the two figures (old clocks and new) can be added together to calculate the total vehicle mileage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
In Germany, russian and turkish guys, auto dealers, usually wind back the mileage. I have a few friends who bought cars with 300000 km instead of 120000 km. Too bad it happens...

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would report it too, £4,000 is a lot of money to someone like me and if I had saved up all year round to find I had bought a dog of a car because it was advertised falsley i would be gutted.

You could be saving someone from having a massive let down and a crap start to the new year.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all your advice.

I called the local police station near the garage who told me to contact Trading Standards and the DVLA. I've since been in contact with the local Trading Standards who are in the process of investigating the matter. I've tried to contact the DVLA but due to the "Adverse Weather Conditions" as they put it, no one was able to deal with my query. So I'll be trying again tomorrow.

I know the car could have been repaired and possibly a new engine, but as a few of you have already said, the mileage just can't be rolled back by over 30,000 miles.

I feel it is my moral duty to inform the relavant authorities.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts