Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or is it just me?

I know i am not a Mito, but almost. The 105 multiair engine on my punto evo is loosening up nicely (770 miles and counting) but over the last 3 days/30 miles the engine has sounded really tappety. In fact i would say it sounds a lot like a twinspark with a dodgy variator.

It is only like this when the engine is hot and i am ideling or slowing down.

I am going to pop into the dealer on the way home but i am not sure if it is supposed to sound like that as i know how complecated the Multiair system is.

She hasn't used a drop of oil in 700 miles so i don't think it is an oil level problem.

Cheers,

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Mine doesn't sound like that, so I think you've either got a wee issue, or it's a 'characteristic' of your engine :confused:

·
Registered
42 Posts
When the better half took ours out for her first test drive (in the demo 135 multi air) she said "is it a diesel" referring to the "rattle / noise".

Having bought said car, and heard others, I think it is possibly the "sound" of the multiair.

If I were to pick a sound it reminded me of, it'd be stainless steel exhaust pipes from the motorbike. Is it possible that the engine uses Stainless (or some other nice exotic) tubing for the exhaust, to give it a nice sound?

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Took it to the dealer and one of the workmen brimmed the oil. He said it didn't sound any different from any others he heard so hopefully all is well.

maybe i have just been spoiled by the smooth sound of the twinspark?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Multiair is defo not tappety. Maybe sounds more like a twin cam motor even though it only has one cam.
If that makes any sense? :)

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
I'm re-posting on this topic as my opinion posted above was...less informed, if you like.

Having recently done an oil change on my Cloverleaf and with the engine running (in a garage) with the bonnet up, I certainly can say that the current engines sound 'tappety', although I don't think it's just a characteristic of the Mulitiair engines. My previous MITO (95bhp) had a very similar sound although not quite as tappety.

I'm sure Alfa have tried to mask the sound slightly by putting the 'Turbo Benzina' cover on top of the engine. It sounds a lot louder with it off.

C

·
0 Posts
I can't say I've noticed my QV being tappety, although the new creak from the glovebox area would probably hide it. Does anyone remember the old Chrysler/Talbot Alpines and Horizons - they were tappety.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
Does anyone remember the old Chrysler/Talbot Alpines and Horizons - they were tappety.
Yes, typical French engines!

The Multiair makes al sorts of wired noises at startup, but all are through the exhaust and a characteristic of how the engine works.

They are not the quietest at idle outside the car, but nothing excessive and you can only hear the exhaust note inside, but all the petrol MIto's are like that.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can't say I've noticed my QV being tappety, although the new creak from the glovebox area would probably hide it. Does anyone remember the old Chrysler/Talbot Alpines and Horizons - they were tappety.
Yea, but they could really be tuned - possible to get 145bhp from a 1294cc. I had a couple of Simca Rallyes with those engines in the back. Still loads to be found going very quickly in French motorsport.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have done a further 600 miles since this topic was posted and it hasn't got any better or worse. What i can say though is that literaly in the last 200 miles the engine is louder (as in more sporty but not in a broken exhaust way) and a lot faster. In gear on a flat it feels just as quick as the old 2.0 147. not bad for a 105.

·
Registered
218 Posts
noisy tappets

Hi. I have a 95 and have been thinkin about callin mangos about my noisy tappets. they do sound excessively loud. Are all mitos the same?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm re-posting on this topic as my opinion posted above was...less informed, if you like.

Having recently done an oil change on my Cloverleaf and with the engine running (in a garage) with the bonnet up, I certainly can say that the current engines sound 'tappety', although I don't think it's just a characteristic of the Mulitiair engines. My previous MITO (95bhp) had a very similar sound although not quite as tappety.

I'm sure Alfa have tried to mask the sound slightly by putting the 'Turbo Benzina' cover on top of the engine. It sounds a lot louder with it off.
Ali C, how many miles did your CV had when doing oil change? Wondering if I should do as well when reaching around 10.000...have around 6.000 now...:confused:

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
It had done 8,100 miles. So it's nearly halfway to the first full service schedule.

Maybe an oil change isn't strictly required, but I did it purely for peace of mind. Clean, fresh oil is only a good thing :thumbs:

·
Registered
92 Posts
True :) Think I will do this to my QV as well. Surely it´s not required but I think you can spend your money on much more useless things than spending new oil for a nice little car :thumbs:

B

·
0 Posts
The Mrs and I both thought the QV was a wee bit diesel sounding at lowish engine speeds (although only very mildly mind) when we had one for a bit which surprised us.

Still sounds good when you ventured more into the fun zone!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts