Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys what do you think to this one....:confused:

im sitting here thinking about when i rebuild my sud, ... its a summers day / track day car , bucket seats and roll cage affair ...

so im wondering do i really need a heater box in it??

i figure leaving it out means less weight, less to go wrong, can put the oil pressure gauge and water temp in that air vent space, so you dont crash while looking down by the gear lever ...

i think im hot = open window
if im really hot = open window and sunroof

if the screen is misting up = own fault for driving on rainy day....:p

K

·
0 Posts
think col doesn't have the heater box in his, do you col??

any problems with misting or anything??

·
Registered
269 Posts
I did exactly that a few years ago with a Sud, and to be honest it was a complete pain in the butt. Yes the heater is crap, but you would be surprised how often you need to demist. And when it gets a bit warm after a good thrash flicking the heater on will help bring that temp down.

Unless of course you are going the full serious track day car route, in which case weld up the bulkhead and have done with it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The heater box dosent weight a great deal, but like the guy said if your guna drive it hard you might want to get rid of that heat, unleast you fit a twin fan system on your radiator with a different switch to control the heat.... but that will be a pain !!! uummm ill say keep it in.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i have an oil cooler and oil temp reservoir in where the heater box was, no need for a heater, its never misted up as i never drive it in winter kev!!! iv got the a series 1 clock surround in where the air vents us to be, all new race tech clocks, water temp, oil temp and oil pressure!!! its a good set up lads :)

id boil in mine if i had to put the heater on to cool it down, got no sunroof for a start! i just have the fan on a seperate switch, which does the job fine! it didn't have a thermostat in when i bought it which is great for keeping the temp down while your racing but i put one back in coz it was running cold all the time as i just use it for road!!! some people drill a small hole in the side of the thermostat which help keep the temp down, another way to go would be to put an extra fan on the radiator...

iv got someone interestered in my sud, hes been emailing me for months so ill see how it goes! am not keen on selling it but if i can get my hands on another one im after and if he gives me what i want for it ill let it go!!!

col

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Col, any chance of a piccy of that dash / gauge arrangement?

hows the oil cooler working out in where the heater box was, can you get good air flow over it ?

the other thing with no heater is i can have a nice smooth bonnet with no vents .. the fibreglass one i got does not actually have the vents cut out yet!!! :rant:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
mines got a fiberglass bonnet with no vents to camm, it will be a right pain to slice the vents into it, if i had to id just drill a load of holes along it instead!!

i dont really need the oil cooler for road so i was going to remove it, but even tho it doesnt get much air flow up there the fact that the oil leaves the engine and runs round the cooler will still go some way to slight cooling... so i just put it up out the way rather than drill the inner wings to mount it behind the head lights...

View attachment 85489

View attachment 85490

K

·
0 Posts
Col, any chance of a piccy of that dash / gauge arrangement?

hows the oil cooler working out in where the heater box was, can you get good air flow over it ?

the other thing with no heater is i can have a nice smooth bonnet with no vents .. the fibreglass one i got does not actually have the vents cut out yet!!! :rant:
think cols' is the same from memory, no bonnet vents :confused:

i must say i was very impressed with the fit of the fibre-glass panels though, you couldn't tell them from normal steel panels for the gap really :cool:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the piccys Col... its what im thinking of doing to mine,,,, ...if i loose the heater :(

i think we must have got our panels from the same guy then! ... Kev, mine were not a good fit.. spent ages getting the wings right before it even went to the body shop, then he has spent loads of time on them!
Im dropping the bonnet off to him friday, hes gonna love that too !

K

·
0 Posts
guess it all depends on how good each individual panel is then :confused: and how long is spent making them good :(

i know jim spent 2 days making my wings/doors/bonnet line up properly after i had welded it all up :eek: don't know how much of that was down to my welding or the panel fit :lol: rather him than me to do the alterations :cool:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the panel from Bob wright, the guy who does the 105 series stuff, maybe im was being to fussy on them, or just a bad mould, the wings were actually series 1 shape and i had to cut out the extra space for the headlights to wrap round too. ......
side repeaters are in different place, mines now not got any ! too old to need them for the mot !

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
i gave series 3 wings to bob to make the moulds out of for mine, i gave him a spot on bonnet a couple of months ago to make a new mould out of aswell but the old one was ok as mine fits fine!

maybe the difference is bob fitted the panels and painted my car, iv got a fg lower front valence, wings, bonnet and rear hatch! i gave him doors aswell when i gave him the bonnet so hes doing doors and skins now to!!

hes got 3 pairs of doors of mine that i might get new skins on, its a cheap way of making good doors from rusty ones as the frames are usually fine, its the skins that suffer!!

and we all know how rare good doors are :rolleyes:

yeah and i left the side repeaters off to, with all the trim bit missing i bet mines a bit more aero dynamic, and the power to weight must be good i would have thought, cant weigh much more than 750kg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts