Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm new here. Please help.

I have £7500 to spend and I'm thinking Alfa. I had a 145 Cloverleaf as a company car from 1999 to 2001 which I adored.

I've always lusted after 156's since then, and then GT's and then 159's but never had the finances to scratch the itch.

Well, I have now (Thank you, Mr Bank Manager). And I need your help.

If you saw a 57 plate 159 2.4 JTDM (210) Lusso on a garage forecourt for a shade under £8k with 38,000 miles on it, What would you think? Silver-grey with Black leather interior. Body seems great (I saw it in the rain, so I'm not fully convinced yet).

But! It's had two owners in those 38,000 miles. Does that seem right? It's also wearing Maxxis tyres on all four wheels. I've read on here about getting the wheels aligned with zero toe in to stop the tyres being lunched, but surely it'd wear something a bit more sturdy? Cheap previous owner?

Sat in it, everything seemed above board, nothing untoward at all. Couple of scratches on the aluminium trim and a little dent. USB port in the glovebox, Manual adjustable seats (DAMN!), Dual Climate, leather in good condition... Key in the what do you call it? and got a "Preheating glow plugs not available" message. Used the phone to check the internet for what that meant. Seems like it's either a faulty glow plug, a faulty module, or a slightly flat battery. It started first time and didn't sound like anything other than a decent diesel engine.

I'm going back tomorrow to have a test drive in it as long as there's diesel in it this time and they can get it out from the second row of cars.

So what should I be looking for? Checks have come back clean apart from its had two owners. The garage weren't sure that it had had it's 36k service but would check. I think they thought I was a tyrekicker so weren't fussed at the time.

But up to that point, I'd already managed to get £300 off the asking price.

Thing is I know I'm going to fall in love with it as soon as I drive it. I've driven my work colleagues 06 plate with 90,000 miles and dodgy wishbones before they were sorted and then pre and post DPF/EGR/Remap and loved it.

So am I cursed to buy it and regret it for as long as it takes to pay back the loan with my loved ones forever reminding me of the fact that it was obviously a lemon?

Or am I blessed to buy it and wake up each day looking forward to the daily commute to Birmingham and back along the M42 and M6 praying for the long windy twisty way home?

Help me, I think I've got Alfaitis.

Thanks

Ian

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ian
I was in a very similar position back in Sept. when I took the plunge and got my '08 2.4 Q4 Ti.
100% no regrets, drives great, look amazing, and gets loads of comments from 'non car people too'.
The only down side is that she's a bit of an alcoholic, but hey you can't have it all, oh and £250 for a wheel bearing today ! Ouch ! (35k miles !)
Still if your like me I think the decision may already be made eh?
Go for it and enjoy ! :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. My heart and my head are both saying go for it. But there's something else sending warning signals off about the 2 owners, the tyres and the glow plugs.

Alcoholic? Crumbs...

Is it worthwhile having the DPF/EGR and remap done then? My mate said that his mpg seems to have increased but his is nearly all city driving.

I do about 1500 miles a month 70% motorway and 30% city. Will it make a big difference?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Go for it :)

I have 21 alfas, the only one I regret having is the 146 because it was pig ugly!!

If you have the opportunity I would shop around as for your budget you could get a TI albeit with higher miles. There is a lovely one on eBay for about £8.5k ( with best offer option ). I have a 159 lusso for 4 years now and I sit look back at everytime I park up! I have also had 159 qtronic TI. The TI just makes it a bit more special :)

I have had a remap on every Alfa diesel I have own (not dpf removal) and have seen at least an average 8 mph improvement in fuel economy and smooth as well as greater power. I do virtually the same type and mileage commute as you so the cost of the remap soon pays for itself.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Cheers. My heart and my head are both saying go for it. But there's something else sending warning signals off about the 2 owners, the tyres and the glow plugs.

Trust your instincts. If you think there is something not right about the car either walk away and find another (there are quite a lot of 159's on the market now) or get a proper vehicle inspection done before purchase. My favourite starting point is an HPI check - you can buy them online at about £10 each if you buy 3. Don't rush into buying a car you have doubts about.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Go for it :thumbs:

Saluti, Giordano.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bought it...

Stromboli Grey and the paintwork is immaculate. Apart from a nick in the rear door handle and a small dent in the aluminium bit round the gearstick, the interior is lovely. 38000 miles. 210 bhp , Blue and Me...No bumps, no rattles and no squeks.

Round the country roads and dual carriageways of Warwickshire was a blast. My father's face was a picture when I dropped a cog and floored it.

The front wheels need aligning properly but I was prepared for that. The preheating message went away after giving it some beans on the drive.

Bought it for £7750 with 3 months Rac warranty and a service thrown in.

Oh lord, what have I done? :)

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
You have opened a whole can of worms now!

The first thing you will notice is that your neck will begin to ache, this is caused by having to look back at the car everytime you park it up!
After that you will develop a feeling of superiority over all other "eurobox" cars on the road......

Stromboli is a great colour, shines up really well and also hides the muck.

enjoy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I think I might have given my Dad whiplash from the acceleration...

I'm quite impressed I managed to wangle a service out of them considering I messed up on the interval. Oh well.

Question is now where can I get 18 inch Horseshoes from, can heated memory seats be retrofitted and how much does a remap and dpf cost?

I think this is going to get expensive.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Thanks. I think I might have given my Dad whiplash from the acceleration...

I'm quite impressed I managed to wangle a service out of them considering I messed up on the interval. Oh well.

Question is now where can I get 18 inch Horseshoes from, can heated memory seats be retrofitted and how much does a remap and dpf cost?

I think this is going to get expensive.

Get yourself over to NJS in Pershore or Angel in Banbury - one is expensive (NJS) and based on the AHM version that 112% of those that have conversions have and the other (Angel) is about £812* cheaper - and because of that it is hated by those that bought the expensive (AHM/NJS/Aflfa tune) version**

Hint: Regarding DPF delete/EGR disable - make your own decision - if you're constantly trying to justify one against the other your head will either explode or (like me) you'll never do it and remain with a mere 210 bhp and crappy mpg!

Well done with the car btw!

Confessions!

* I may have over-exagerated the stats and prices :lol: AHM/NJS = £600+VAT, Angel = £400ish

** I'm just trying to start a fight as there have been many forum posts along the lines of "you get what you pay for" vs "why should I pay twice as much?".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. How expensive is the NJS solution? I was thinking of using them for servicing as they are quite close to me and all the reviews I've read are very good.

Only 5 and a half hours to go and I can go pick her up... The day is dragging. And there's supposed to be a load of snow tomorrow. JOY!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
** I'm just trying to start a fight as there have been many forum posts along the lines of "you get what you pay for" vs "why should I pay twice as much?".

:tut:

:lol:

Please note that other fight-starting posts are also available. Premium Tyres vs Acceleras is always a favourite, and of course who can forget the perennial Diesel vs Petrol debate

;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
The first thing you will notice is that your neck will begin to ache, this is caused by having to look back at the car everytime you park it up!
So, so true! I've had my Stromboli grey Alfa 159 ti for over 18 months now and I'm still doing this. No other car has made me do that, seriously. :cool:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is ready for collection!

Just a pity I can't leave ******* WORK!

Did you all feel like 6 year olds on Christmas Eve when you went to collect yours?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Well done on taking the plunge, you won't regret it ! I know exactly how you feel, I was the same. Like a kid on Christmas Eve.
Get some pics up to let us all see your new pride and joy as soon as you can. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh yeah, I will do. But it's late. And I think my neighbours would think I'm nuts If I'm out there taking photos at this time of night.

Think I'm in love...

My 2 year old daughter was so excited when I got home that I had to take her out in it. She loves it. Apparently according to her "Affa Row-may-owes are cool."

I've had it less than 4 hours and I'm already scouring AutoTrader for a V6 GTV or 156 to add to the collection. My fiance is going to end up killing me.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts