Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've done tons of research on this and sad to say, there is no definative answer:tut: I've went through tons of threads about this, spoken to tons of people about this, yet...its either one way or the other...

Ok, my car is now on 85990km and the engine is on 35990km's...

So in about 4000km's its time for the second service - should I somme do the cambelt and variator (this thing is killing me:rant:) or should I wait another 20 000km's and trust Alfisimo and their handy work(when they replaced the internals and belts etc at 50 000km's) and hope my trip in April to Kuruman, then Springbok then Keimoes then back to Secunda will go smooth and without a glitch...

What I've been thinking is...save up for the next 2 months and buy the parts and find someone to do the cambelt and normal service for me over a weekend(as this is our only car) or go on the trip and wait the 20 000km's out...

What's logical and clever and the right thing to do?:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
If they did a cambelt service and replaced all tensioners then there should be no worry. They good for atleast 3 years or a minimum of 60K km's.

If you unsure if this was done, then to me you would have no other choice but to do them. Thing to remember is this service costs money, even if a private chap does the work, just the variator is over a R1K.

As for your usual service... Maybe its just me but I never wait the full 20K km's ( OK... it would take me a while to do that mileage ) to do a service. I always do a oil change at like 5k - 8k km's.

What else do you need them to do?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
According to the book, it's every 60K km.

Mine failed after 62k km. So I'll be doing mine more often. Maybe every 50K or so, just to be save.
If you have enough doubt in your mind to ask the question, then there is lightly a good reason for it. It's an expensive service, but it's worth the peace of mind. From experiencing the alternative as I am, it's worth it.

·
Registered
846 Posts
initially it was every 120 000kms and because of the heads going and the costs involved they brought it down to 60 000km.

the main culprit is the adjustable cambelt tensioner, it was first a black plastic module and from history that was crap quality used, they then changed it to a more durable white plastic module, a bit stronger but also prone to literally breaking and bearing failure(the actual bearing within the tensioner) and then they finally changed it a metal module which has proven to be perfect BUT the problem still lies with the inner bearing(which is what happened with me, tensioner failed, belt slipped and busted all my inlet valves and two outer valves)...

like mason said, if everything was done then you should be okay but if you're having doubts then it might be a wise decision to do the major service and get some peace of mind...like i said when you buy the cambelt adjustable tensioner, make sure you get the metal one.

how do you do know you're variator is busted?what grade oil are you using, this has a major impact on the variator???

why don't you do it yourself bud, it really is not that difficult, you just need to patient and do everything by the book...

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
If you're worried about it ... get it done, your peace of mind will be more than worth it :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
Nike... just do it ans sleep better at night

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
lol its only when you realise you missed it do you start stressing

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Do the belt....
Think about it this way...
You spend the extra cash now...
but save a very embarrassing situation with having it possibly snap on your trip then getting an Atoz rental to drive around...
Plus how much is the possible damage VS the service????

·
Registered
459 Posts
What price is peace of mind when you got a pregnant wife in the car with you??????????????Simple Logic!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,640 Posts
What price is peace of mind when you got a pregnant wife in the car with you??????????????Simple Logic!!!!!!
damn thats gotta sting

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do I get the feeling that 159Iza is constantly on my case....negatively,there,it stung!

Anyhoo have decided to replace eeet, taken PO's words and want it done either by myself or someone on here with time and tools whom I can trust,so anyone meeting this criteria looking for extra buck pls pm me Ill hapily pay you rather than some guy not caring for my car, plus ill be there to help and see what you doing at the same time... must be before Easter....anyone up for this?

Or I can pull a Mystic and get everyone to help me but well need a place and tools as I dont have any of the 2,Im willing to come to JHB over a weekend, i think thats a good idea Ill sell it in a new thread just now ooooooh wweeeeeee

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not on your case Lance, just adding another dimension to your thought process!!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just do it.... Not worth the risk.

Is Alfissimo still going? I had a new MAF fitted there a while back and the place was practically deserted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts