Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have recently been speaking to my uncle who has a friend who is an alfa romeo test driver, i.e he takes out all the new alfas and sees if there are any kinks with them etc, and he pretty much said he would never buy an alfa as the build quality is just THAT bad. My question is do alfas have to go through some kind of testing phase where standards must be met to be roadworthy, eg. the door handle will not break after 1000 uses, things like that.

I am asking as i am very interested in a spider for my next car yr 2000-2001 and i have been given a bet in where my uncle will GIVE me his Royles Royce if NOTHING goes wrong in the first 5 weeks of owning the spider....so...whatcha rekon?

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I don't believe you're any more likely to have something wrong with a modern Alfa than a modern VW or BMW, but if you are buying a 7 year old car, regardless of mark, it'll probably be fine but you can't guarantee nothing will go wrong with it in 5 weeks.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My 2000 Spider was fine in the first 5 weeks,the first 5 months even. In the first year I've had to have a new MAF and a heater motor. Love it to bits, go for it.
PS my father-in-law's 8 year old Audi needed a new gearbox recently!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats where my question of alfas production methods come into play. Do you think all spiders will be similar to yours? I've heard that the spiders have independent reliabilities, meaning that some are good , others not so good. Of course this could be drawn down to how you look after the car, but do you think it also lies in alfas production methods too?

ps lovely spider richy, looks like a blast to drive!

F

·
0 Posts
Oh yawn, someone's always got "a friend" who's an "expert" and repeats the usual "Alfa's are rubbish mantra". If this guy is really an Alfa test driver, he would know that the quality has improved significantly over recent years. As others have said, this is an easy bet to win. Any car is subject to mechanical issues and plenty of other marques have big issues. If you are buying second hand, it pays to know what to look for before buying. That way you are unlikely to have any issues.

Buy an Alfa because you love it. Ignore the so-called experts.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats pretty much what i thought....this car is MODERN, how much could go wrong with it?

Which then got me thinking on how the system works for all modern cars, is there a certain level of reliability they must pass in order to be entered into the market...

·
Registered
3,986 Posts
Your dad's roller is safe. I know of very few 7 year old cars (never mind drop-tops) that won't have some issues.

As for quality control, well of course all the parts are tested - to destruction in fact and every model in it's development stage will undergo long and stringent assessment in the most testing of conditions - Arctic and desert.

As for the model you are interested in, drop-tops suffer from a set of probs different from hard tops owing to the flexibility of the chassis and the additional mechanisms needed for the roof. So take particular care when viewing prospective purchases.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ye, i suppose im being a little hesitant in thinking nothing will go wrong. the problem is that im currently evolving from the Honda species to the alfa species. I got a 1990 prelude atm, and literally NOTHING went wrong for the first 2 years of owning it, it was only recently that the auto transmission needed replacing, which was costly :S

I just re-read the buyers guide, it all seems reasonable really, there seems to be no example of where your spider simply wont start up, which is what i've always feared! The suspension has me a tad concerned, but best go choose one that looks healthy then!

I am pretty sold on getting this car, the next step is convincing the rents.......lusso seems like the best model as well

·
Registered
200 Posts
BTW I also have a 2002 147 and that hasn't had a thing go wrong in 2 years. It may be because it has only done 33,000 miles ( the spider has covered 55000 ) but it seems well built and I am comparing this with a 2 year old Focus that I sold to get the Alfa.

·
Registered
16,125 Posts
All components go through very stringent testing - I work for an automotice company and we employ hundreds of development engineers worldwide to test our products.

We use rigs and early veichle samples to test - I therefore get to see some very early examples of cars such as mini / Disco / freelanders / X-type, we still have a 307 in the car park that was given to us by PUg 5 years ago it has just over 50 miles on the clock.

It is that bad the wheels have rusted.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
After owning an Alfa for a short period of time you'll find your definition of "something wrong" will have rapidly changed from that of everyone else's.

Things that in the past you would have seen as having "gone wrong" will become "niggles and quirks" which you will love to live with.

It's the gamble you pay for a great car.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
NOTHING went wrong for the first 2 years of owning it, it was only recently that the auto transmission needed replacing
:wow: :wow: :wow:

Now thats what I don't get people think a car is reliable cos all the lights on the dash work, but the gearbox drops out and that's reasonable.
If I'd bought a dull as ditch water Honda for the reliability and the gear box failed with less than 250K miles on it I'd be livid.

·
Registered
510 Posts
the problem is that im currently evolving from the Honda species to the alfa species. I got a 1990 prelude atm, and literally NOTHING went wrong for the first 2 years of owning it
That's a myth also - I've just got rid of my new shape Civic, owned from new because of the reliability and quality issues with it. My Alfa is a far better car!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
PS my father-in-law's 8 year old Audi needed a new gearbox recently!
Just had a call from a friend who has an Audi and its just cost him £1000 (he beat them down from £1300) for a new throttle body and MAF, guess who makes these items! Oh and plus a cam cover gasket!

F

·
0 Posts
I got a 1990 prelude atm, and literally NOTHING went wrong for the first 2 years of owning it, it was only recently that the auto transmission needed replacing, which was costly :S
LOL! You just answered your own question. This reliability hooey is all about brand and nothing to do with reality. I have owned four Alfas, total of 16 years ownership and I didn't have to replace the gearbox on any of them! Yet here you are saying you need to be reducated away from "reliable" Hondas, even though your experience is far worse than mine! None of my Alfas had any major mechanical failure like this (plenty of niggles and suspension parts replacement though).

You can understand why we Alfisti get so annoyed by this constant repetition of an outdated urban legend. But anyone in advertising must love to see the power of brand advertising in action.

Mind you, once you get an Alfa, you will be on our team!

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
That's a myth also - I've just got rid of my new shape Civic, owned from new because of the reliability and quality issues with it. My Alfa is a far better car!
I can understand that, I used to work on the end of the Honda line (I drove a transporter that took them to the depot at Bristol) at Swindon and some of them would not even make the 200 yds from the line to the back of the trailer without something going wrong, wehad a cattle grid to cross to shake the car up and see if anything was loose, the amount of bolts that fell out was scary, an then there were the bits we found on the trailer after the cars were unloaded. That wasn't an occasional thing, almost every day you would get a few bits and bobs lying aroud. I knew a lot of the guys in there and they were about as far away from mechanics as you can get, one guy was a burger flipper at McDs when he wasn't at Honda. Now that's why I never had one.

My 146, which I've had from new has had a handbrake cable and 2 front lower wishbones in 8 years, next month I am doing the the disks and pads all round and the cam belt/variator, but there is nothing there Iwould not expect from a car of it's age from any marque.

·
Registered
18 Posts
my pennies worth, when the alfas get brought into the country they get pdi checkd at the docks for any faults etc they only get driven for a couple of miles if that, the build quality has got alot better over the years and is still getting better to this day, but alfa being alfa still get alot of problems even when brand new off the ships, alfa uk no theve got problems with build quality and are trying to sort this, i can remember we used to get brand new alfas off the ship with engines knocking and all sorts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts