Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having run the car for over a week now I think i can make a comment on the DNA. Autocar state that there is not a DNA setting that is right and I wondered if I would have the same thought. I think AR have done a great job in delivering DNA. Today, in 2012 recession hit Europe, a car has to be frugal and eco friendly 'just like a golf'! (sic). AR have done that with N mode. However we buy Alfas because we want a bit of Italian verve, fun and sparkle. Switching to Dynamic does just that and makes you love the car because it has character. Having All weather setting is just a bonus that delivers what is needed in icy and snowy conditions. So instead of 3 settings, none of which are right, I believe AR have delivered 3 brilliant settings which make this car unmatched in its class. I am very happy.

·
Premium Member
5,374 Posts
I'll be honest I normally drive in N, but I do like to be able to go to D when the mood takes me - which is what I thought it's all about.....unlike the motoring press which seem to be looking for a panacea mode so that they can say that the others are unnecessary.

·
Registered
15 Posts
With A, the winter feels like summer :) Well - almost. One real surprise so far: driving 5km/h over the 20cm deep snow cladded kerb to my garage. First there was no response at all, and then suddenly it started to pull so hard to the direction i was steering i almost drove into a 1,5m high pile of snow. I managed to hit the brakes first.

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
I'll be honest I normally drive in N, but I do like to be able to go to D when the mood takes me - which is what I thought it's all about.....unlike the motoring press which seem to be looking for a panacea mode so that they can say that the others are unnecessary.
I had got into the habit of going straight into D but resisted it this morning and improved MPG from 35 to 41 despite a couple of times wanting to check if the handbrake was still on a bit.I had always wanted to save the D "for the weekend sir"
I intend to keep with the experiment to make it more scientific and delay the next time I have to prise the fuel flap open with a vending card....

·
Registered
213 Posts
Having run the car for over a week now I think i can make a comment on the DNA. Autocar state that there is not a DNA setting that is right and I wondered if I would have the same thought. I think AR have done a great job in delivering DNA. Today, in 2012 recession hit Europe, a car has to be frugal and eco friendly 'just like a golf'! (sic). AR have done that with N mode. However we buy Alfas because we want a bit of Italian verve, fun and sparkle. Switching to Dynamic does just that and makes you love the car because it has character. Having All weather setting is just a bonus that delivers what is needed in icy and snowy conditions. So instead of 3 settings, none of which are right, I believe AR have delivered 3 brilliant settings which make this car unmatched in its class. I am very happy.
Cretin senior car testers promoted to their level of incompetence will immediately dismiss anything good about Alfa's....it's a fact.

What Car? (being the most transparently dismissive) also shrugged their anally-retentive shoulders at DNA. That in itself should tell readers of other useless (unless you get caught short in the woods) publications that the feature is probably very good.

I've been driving a loan Giullietta for the past week (140jtdm Veloce) and it's made me realise 2 things.

Firstly, this car is infinitely better than 'any' of its rivals and I am very, very pleased I have my own arriving soon. The DNA is a GREAT! feature.

Secondly, I'm extremely pleased I chose Etna Black instead of the Giaccio White. Anyone who tells you that black is a pain to keep clean.....it's not anything in comparison to kitchen appliance blanc. :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Cretin senior car testers promoted to their level of incompetence will immediately dismiss anything good about Alfa's....it's a fact.

What Car? (being the most transparently dismissive) also shrugged their anally-retentive shoulders at DNA. That in itself should tell readers of other useless (unless you get caught short in the woods) publications that the feature is probably very good.
Have you SEEN the sort of testers they have in the mags? They all look like 19 year old joyriders. Autocar have one or two who are showing a grey hair, because otherwise Mercedes wouldn't lend them an SLR would they? lol

·
Registered
34,490 Posts
A feels the most complete setting to me, try it in normal conditions, see what you think
Funny you should say that.A colleague was telling me how a friend of his who is a 30 yr old motoring writer has an Slr this week.Its a right pain sticking to speed limits with van drivers and corsas trying to race/push you.Next week he will have a new Chevrolet !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts