Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people!

Since I couldnt find a proper spoiler for my 159, I decided to make one myself. In short, the base is the cheapest rubber spoiler I could find, while the horns I cut out of plexiglass and glued them on it. However, the double sided tape that came on the spoiler was rather weak and decided to unstick itself almost immediately. And yes, I did prepare the boot lid before I stuck it on.

So my question is should I use proper 3M tape or just glue it on(polyurethane or some other kind?)? Considering it has a rather sharp angle resulting in much more downforce than a regular spoiler. And would that glue strip the paint if I try to remove it in the future?

Here are some photos. What do you think? Any advice would be appreciated :) :)

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Black Sikoflex. It's what lots of optional factory spoilers are fixed on with. It's like a cross between adhesive glue and silicone. I use it for many things both at work and home. Never fails.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here's how I did mine:

After degreasing everything - I attached the double sided tape to the spoiler leaving about a 3mm gap between the edge of the tape and the edges of the spoiler.

I attached the spoiler to the car and left the tape to 'cure' for a couple of hours. I also applied bit of heat from a hairdryer.

I then went round the edge of the spoiler with the Sikaflex 221 making sure I squeezed the sealant under the edges of the spoiler (using a plastic spatula).

I then cleaned off excess sealant with many IPA soaked cloths.

My spoiler is Glassfibre btw.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers!

But what about the removal of the glue? Heatgun, I'm guessing?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Here's the Sikaflex 221 data sheet. It states that cured adhesive can only be removed by mechanical methods. Mind how you go with a heat gun!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here's the Sikaflex 221 data sheet. It states that cured adhesive can only be removed by mechanical methods. Mind how you go with a heat gun!
Thank you! Not that I have intention of removing it...but who knows what might happen in the future :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts