Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys!

I need to change power steering oil. Have red one, would like green one tutela g1-r.

Did anyone make a change by himself? How can I do it? Is it possible for someone without access to a car workshop special tools?

R

·
0 Posts
I think I've seen about this elsewhere and you need to stay with a red fluid

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i need to stay with red fluid? that's a surprise i must say. can you explain why red fluid is the one to stick with?

there was quite a discussion in this thread about which fluid is better:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-159-brera-and-946-spider/307192-power-steering-problem.html
and they all agreed that green one fully synthetic is much better.

rhett71, thank you for advice. but, you know, this is actually the first time i've seen that someone states red fluid is better. it is you against all others, but it matters not - if you have a valid argument i will listen!

R

·
0 Posts
I only think this because I have a friend with a 159 TI and he had some big problems with his power steering, it pumped it all out of the reservoir one day. His repair was done under warranty, not sure about holland but in the UK the dealer probably would have said that the wrong fluid negated the warranty. I suppose it depends on if Alfa endorse the fully synthetic fluid? I might also be getting mixed up with the different colour Paraflu threads.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
from what i read on this forum, and several others, red fluid is not good as it gets too thick on low temperatures so pump has really hard time pumping it. green, fully syntetic fluid is much more fluidic and easier to pump.

of course, i do not know it for sure. i've just read what other people tried, did, opted for and what were the results.

so, here i am, asking good people again - what power steering oil is correct one for alfa 159? does anyone know for sure? and, ultimately, maybe someone knows how to change it on my drive way.

thanks for bearing with me!

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
im not sure of the reasons to be honest, i just know this.

i had big issues with my steering pump whining like a dog.

had both the pump and rack checked, and in the end the pump reconditoned.

still came back with noise, both when stationary and turning.

got so sick of it, i changed the resevoir and fluid myself... to the green stuff.

solved the problem.

still have a faint pump noise, but silent on turning.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Going to get my reservoir changed tomorrow as had a red fountian of bubbly steering fluid today and a nasty sounding whine. Contemplated doing it myself but decided to get someone who knows what they are doing to do it. I hope the fluid stays in the system!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
acapulco al, you had red fluid and gus took it out and filled green one?

how did he flush the system of remaining oil?

·
Registered
29,280 Posts
acapulco al, you had red fluid and gus took it out and filled green one?

how did he flush the system of remaining oil?
yes that's right. gus said he saw no particular advantage of the green over the red, but changed it anyway as i wanted it doing. he didn't 'flush' the system - just put the rubber tube from the suction pump right down into the reservoir and then into the fluid pipes once he'd disconnected them from the empty reservoir. i reckon a good long turkey baster would do a good job :thumbs:

be careful when re-attaching the fluid pipes though, the clips looked quite awkward and a bit of a [email protected] to get back on

·
Registered
146 Posts
red fluid is incorrect causes pump failure due to it being to thick .The pumps can lock up and the belt falls off as in the 2.2 jts.New green fluid is correct same as the gm power steering fluid.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm sorry, but I'm finding it hard to understand how the colour really matters. The thickness of course matters, but who is to say whether one brand of oil has the correct thickness and is red in colour?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I too am somewhat confused by the "fact" stated on here so often that Alfa sent a batch of 159s out with the wrong colour fluid (red). From what I can glean from the posts on here pretty well all Alfas were sent out with red fluid. Maybe we should have a poll? Did anyone take delivery of a new 159 with green fluid?

Is this cars sent out with the "wrong" fluid an Alfaowner urban myth? Maybe the green is better in cold weather but is red definitely the wrong fluid?

·
Registered
813 Posts
My Brera has red fluid and has done over 90k miles. In a recent service the oil was changed for some new red fluid. As long as it's the right spec oil, it could be purple colour :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine has done 120k miles, full Alfa history but not known what specific work has been carried out as came from Arval. Has red fluid.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Just a note for when you do this DIY thing....

The return tube needs to be angled well into an ice cream tub or something.... or something better. Its quite a forced of red gunk that comes out when you flush it through.... I caused quite a mess on the road :O

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
to make it a bit clearer - it just so happens that oil named tutela g1-e has red color and tutela g1-r has green color. difference is that red one is typical ATF oil, where green one is fully syntethic oil. of course, viscosity is different.

from my research these few days, green one is a must in some fiat vehicles and some gm vehicles. others have normal ATF fluids.

what i do not know is why the hell would alfa ship all the cars with normal ATF fluid if special fully synthetic is much better. or, it could all be just a myth. i reckon that people driving alfas 159 in areas where temperatures go below -20 celsius might have a big issue if viscosity changes a lot when getting colder.

first i just needed an advice how to change the oil, now i'm not sure anymore if that is a proper way to go.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
one quick question for the guys who replaced red with green - did you have vibrations on the steering wheel prior oil change and did it go away after?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts