Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone here has disassembled their own classics for bodywork? I am planning to start doing mine in December while the kids sleep. Are there any general rules ones should follow? I'm thinking bag and tag is probably a good first rule. I know the 105 intimately from head to toe already from replacing virtually everything mechanically so I already know where things go, but I'd prefer to keep good records in case I don't see the end of the project for whatever reason.

Any advice on best practice?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Any advice on best practice?
Cellphone pics before and during dis-assembley. I am old, I even put bolts loosely back in place, instead of into a tin. And Cuzz to laugh at me for wasting time.

Keep the pictures, I may do it in a couple years time.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I've done it on my alfetta , best tag whatever you take out an be very gentle with the stuff as I broke couple things , also put back what you took of 1st , ul be working in reverse :) good luck

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, gentlemen. I'll be working in a cramped garage but at least the weather will be better.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Buy lots of boxes and packets . Tag every thing down to screws for doors into seperate packets and label . I have just done three classics and it makes life so much easier when coming to assemble even though you might have done it ten times . Firstly you save time by not having rummage through tins and constantly throwing then on the floor . Seperate all your lights , lenses and glass . Even have a diary to make notes of bolts that are stripped or rusted and tag them for replacing . If you do this all now it saves time again from having to drive up and down to the bolt shop . Take pics of wiring and also tag the wires with masking tape and koki pen .
In other words be anal about it . If you ever sell the car atleast you can show the buyer the detail and believe me if its for foreign market they absolutely love a file on the car . The more that's in the file the more excited they get . Strange but true .
From being in the classic car game in UK for two years the best advice is to keep every slip of every part , any records of previous owner including pics and pics of restoration . If you're welding in panels into double cavities use weld primer etc . You might not think of selling your car but one day a great offer might be presented of you forced to sell so do it methodically and keep records . It won't cost you anymore ! Ps try stick with Alfa colours and seat patterns .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts