Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a leak on the gearbox which needs the box taking out

Removing the gearbox is going to be a long job, 2 days in and not got he exhaust off!

Doing this on the drive with axle stands and three jacks!

Not decided how to support the engine when the box finally.I dont have a strut to hang the engine on or a engine lift. A mechanic friend of mine suggested a block of wood and the trolley jack.

Anybody got any tips?

Jimny

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have used a trolley jack and wood before but on a much lighter honda 1.6 engine and on a little nissan micra engine :lol:

Should be fine though as there will still be at least 2? engine supports in place... If you use the sump (maybe not a good idea) you need to spread the load accross it using the bit of wood - better to find a suitable area of engine block that can be supported.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I think there are at least 2 engine mounts which will still be in place, I will check.

Jimny

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Remove the top engine mount bolt so you can pull the engine forward and definately remove the stud in the rear of the box it makes life 100% easier as the box is easier to twist off above the subframe. Some advise pulling back the o/s driveshaft but i usually get it on and off ok with it in situ.I usually remove the rear mount top mount bolt n/s mount complete and loosen the o/s mount so i can pull the whole lot forward.Each individual has their own technique.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
You can hire engine cranes at HSS and probably other local hire shops.. mind you if its taken 2 days and you`ve not got the exhaust off, it might work out quite pricey! :lol: :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seymour - are you saying I don't need to take the subframe out or drop it?

I've been following the instructions in the alfa manual whcih suggest you do, i'm all ears if you have a technique that means you don't need to.

What do you mean by the stud at the rear of the box?

Thanks Ian - When I say I've spent 2 days one was the royal wedding day and the angle grinder wasn't adding to the street party atmosphere, and today I've had the hangover from hell!

Jimny

R

·
0 Posts
On the 147 the elearn manual tells you to remove the bonnet lock and use a special tool to take the weight of the engine. When my gearbox was done we used a block of wood across the engine to take its weight. Just make sure there is some padding on the paintwork to protect it. I don't know the GTV's at all but can't imagine the gearbox coming out through the top?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I did a GTV today ive never dropped the subframe.Im of the opinion the biggest issue is once the box is unbolted it wont come off due to insufficient clearance.The box needs to be twisted anti clockwise and towards the front of the car to get it out.This is best done by pulling the offside driveshaft back (although i dont bother) and removing the stud holding the box onto the engine just below the starter motor.Ive no ramp but ive done it a number of times and its still a days graft.The trick in my humble opinion is to get the engine off most of its mounts so it can come forwards and up so the box can easily twist off.The job takes me a day but im sure with the right garage equipment it may be quicker.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I did a GTV today ive never dropped the subframe.Im of the opinion the biggest issue is once the box is unbolted it wont come off due to insufficient clearance.The box needs to be twisted anti clockwise and towards the front of the car to get it out.This is best done by pulling the offside driveshaft back (although i dont bother) and removing the stud holding the box onto the engine just below the starter motor.Ive no ramp but ive done it a number of times and its still a days graft.The trick in my humble opinion is to get the engine off most of its mounts so it can come forwards and up so the box can easily twist off.The job takes me a day but im sure with the right garage equipment it may be quicker.
That is good advice

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Had to give up I'm afraid took a full day to drill the maniifold studs out so run out of time. The bracket on the exhaust front section snapped so I also had to fix that. It's all back together again now.

Going to look for an indi totake out the gear box and let me take away the cross-member for painting and bush replacement whilst the box is away for repair.

Thanks for all your advice

Cheers

Jimny

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been quoted £500 today to take the box out repair the leak and put back in.:cry:

The garage suggested I may be better putting up with the leak.

Or a possible DIY solution is to remove the gearbox end cover, slacken the internal screws to free the 5th gear plat slightly to allow some gasket sealant to be eased in.

Any body tried this?

Jimny

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The leak is 2nd seal in from the passenger side after the 5th gear plate.

Jimny

1 - 15 of 15 Posts