Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to fit a cat-back exhaust myself - just wondered if anyone had tried it, and whether there is anything I should know?

Just a standard unbolt-remove-refit job?

I'll be sure to have a drive up the street with the exhaust off to see how it sounds :lol:

A

·
0 Posts
I've done it and it pretty much a straight job, but you will need an elevator to raise the car.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Did it on my old 147 with the help of a mate who had a set of ramps to lift the car up with, these are pretty much essential. Fitted a Cat back Ragazzon System in about 2 hours, took longer than it should as one of the drop hangers was an absolute ******* to get off, ended u just chopping it off with a stanley knife and fitting a new one after.

Also had to cut through a bolt on a clamp as it had seized solid and no amount of WD40 would move it.

Getting the old one off was the hardest part, putting new one on was relatively easy, also my mate had some thermal sealant for the mating pipes to ensure there was no blowing at the joints :)

Sounded awesome after :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Matty,

Would be really interested to know what it sounds like with the last sections of the exhaust removed. I have had a bit of a project in mind for a while and it involved something similar. When you drive it up the road can you compare it to normal and see if you can make a judgement as to just how much louder (degrees of unbearable) it is.

Thanks,

E.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll be ******* loud ;)

My exhaust fell off my Mk1 Golf GTi once while I was driving home. Obviously I had no means of refitting it, so I had to drive back with it in the boot.

Was unbearably, deafeningly loud. Not recommended.

Video here, actually, of a 156GTA without an exhaust:

YouTube - ALFA 156 GTA SW without exhaust

I'll still be trying it on mine, though ;)

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Hmmm......

I take your point, I think I have been there myself before. It was on the Hudderfield ring road many, many years ago!!

I wasn't thinking of leaving it off from the cat backwards, just really wondering if with less sound deading (in the silencers) or smaller less packed boxes whether it would be anything like the Supersprint on one of the cars.

The Supersprint is fantastic, I was just wondering if it was a simple methodology for achieving the noise (less fibreglass wadding) or something more scientifically tuned with the boxes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts