Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ADVISE PLEASE......

has any body had experience of running a boxer engine distributor less?

what i need to know is do i need to keep the old and now defunk distributor in place to keep that oil pump drive down or is it ok to remove it and blank the hole? :(

the coil pack i want to use will sit really well where the dizzy is now, so would be good to loose it...

any info please guys ! :thumbs:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks rowdy, thats given me a few new ideas too!! but hey dont say if they removed the dizzy!!! urrgggg:mad:

·
Registered
932 Posts
I have no distributor on my 33, it uses a ford coil pack and a 16v fly wheel for timing to the omex ecu. The old distributor hole has a blanking panel on it.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks Iain,

just the info i was after mate, is that blank just pushed in or bolted in?

interesting to see you have filters on top of the carbs, i have seen a lot of tweaked engines using the standard airbox, seems to be divided opinion what is best, are you happy with the filters as they are? its the way i was also going to go with mine

thanks mate
lib

·
Registered
932 Posts
They save a bit of weight!!!, actually they are ok as underneath I have 4 55mm carbon fibre trumpets, the blanking panel is a pushed in jobbie, Ahm made it up.

·
Registered
133 Posts
dizzy less ignition

Hi, If you chop the bottom of the old dizzy off and remove the drive shaft, and then just plug it with a tight bolt.then you will still have an oil tight seal, from the dizzy O ring.:).hope this helps lee.

·
Registered
278 Posts
We sell a nice little blanking plate
however on the very last boxers ie
145s alfa just tapped a core plug in
the hole :)

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I'm thinking of going coil pack on my daily 16v and track 16v cars
I am concerned about spark plugs to use in a 16v, 8v wasted spark uses platinum or iridium , due to the spark going opposite way from earth to electrode.
What plugs can be used safely in a 16v?
Do I use the ford coil pack or an alfa one?
Thanks
Alan

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
How do i split the ignition signal from the 16v ecu into 2 for wasted spark of 4 for COP or CNP

Well, in case of the standard 16V there is only one ignition trigger channel is available, since it is designed as a single coil system. In order to use a coil pack and get rid of the mechanical HT distribution at least two independent ignition trigger channels would be required. With two channels a "waste spark" type coil pack can be used, like on the late 1.7 8V engines or on the 145/146 1.6 and 1.7 16V engines. (with four separate triggering channels you could address all cylinders individually, and every cylinder can have it's own coil) So this is not related to the self learning function, it's more like a design limitation.
About splitting the iginition signal:
on the EZK iginition ECU from the VOLVO 740 Turbo the signal can be split in two so you can use a wasted spark DIS coil.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts