Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my 12 plate 135 Mito on Monday and absolutely love it.

I'm only 2 days in and getting to know it, but I noticed some interesting figures on the distance to empty over the last two days.

Drove to work this morning and it's displaying 322 (14 miles on B roads and dual carriageways). Parked the car and it was displaying 308 miles to empty, so bang on.

Get in 8 hours later, turn the ignition on and it's down at 275 from the start..............in the next mile it drops slowly to 268 as the engine warms, from here it climbs. To the point at which when I reversed onto my drive 14 miles later it was reading 352.

I reset the trips when I first had the keys in my hand to assess mpg etc under my ownership, so I expect this could be a factor, but I've never had a car that's jumped 75 miles + despite driving 14..........got to love Italian optimism.

Not overly concerned as I've used 1/4 tank from full and I'm in circa 80 miles so far. I was hoping for circa 300 a tank, so hope that the sweep is steady through the tank.

Anybody else had similar?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I thought most cars behave like this? I've always assumed the reading is based on current conditions so is constantly changing depending on average speed etc.

I used to have a Saab 9-5 that was dreadful, soon as it got into double figures it was time to fill up quick, it ran out of petrol with display saying it still had miles to go on a couple of occasions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought most cars behave like this? I've always assumed the reading is based on current conditions so is constantly changing depending on average speed etc.

I used to have a Saab 9-5 that was dreadful, soon as it got into double figures it was time to fill up quick, it ran out of petrol with display saying it still had miles to go on a couple of occasions.
Both my previous Hyundai, MG, Ford and Mazda would only fluctuate by circa 5 miles from ignition on to completed journey.

Distance to empty: I would expect would be done via level in the tank divided by Average MPG, hence it may fluctuate when they are reset, but after 80 miles and a average mpg of 39 I wouldn't expect to see a swing of 75 miles........Interestingly the actual fuel gauge is only going one way.......:biglaugh:

Instant MPG on the other hand would be dependant on right foot and external conditions.

Not a complaint..........Just interesting to see.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Worst thing about the fuel computer is that after telling you there are 50 miles left the screen just displays ---- surely the whole point of it is to tell you how many miles you have left, especially when the tank gets low :rant:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Think they do the --- to stop people running it on fumes and increasing the potential to clog the fuel filter which could lead to running issues and unhappy owners etc.

It's calmed down a bit, so think it's related to me resetting both trips when I picked the car up.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Worst thing about the fuel computer is that after telling you there are 50 miles left the screen just displays ---- surely the whole point of it is to tell you how many miles you have left, especially when the tank gets low :rant:
once you get below a certain level, the oil pump could suck air if the car is tilted... what good is a 30 mile range if you can't get up that steep hill to the fuel station?

EDIT: FUEL pump, not oil pump

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mine fluctuates massively but I've always believed that's based on your current driving conditions. If I'm mostly tootling round town and B roads/30mph all the time, lots of stopping and starting the miles in the tank drastically drops. If I'm in 5th gear, mostly A and Motorway driving and not caning the throttle that figure can shoot up massively, even within the space of a matter of miles/minutes. Full tank, and straight to motorway and I'm getting 500+ miles readout to empty but that will drop to under 300 miles if not.

Totally based on an estimation of how you're driving at the time and if you continue to drive like that, how many miles you'll get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts