Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I live in Germany and have seen some pretty nice spiders with with the 2.0 JTS motors. Not sure if the price is going up or down but thier production numbers were low so wondering if this is a good idea to consider one of them?

prices seem to be floating bwtween 6-8k for low KM models

I kind of get the impression they are not as loved or desired as the Twinspark?

Is this correct off am I off base with my assesmet?

Opinons anyone?

regards,

David

Registered
Dear all,

I live in Germany and have seen some pretty nice spiders with with the 2.0 JTS motors. Not sure if the price is going up or down but thier production numbers were low so wondering if this is a good idea to consider one of them?

prices seem to be floating bwtween 6-8k for low KM models

I kind of get the impression they are not as loved or desired as the Twinspark?

Is this correct off am I off base with my assesmet?

Opinons anyone?

regards,

David
I think it鈥檚 a couple of factors , JTS are all phase 3 and many don鈥檛 like the face lifted GTV and Spider , In addition the TS is considered the more sonorous of the two , I鈥檝e owned both albeit in different cars ( a JTS GT and several 916鈥榮 with TS engines ) IMHO the twinnie is a better engine and definitely less finicky.

although the JTS is more powerful and does shift , as well as having more torque down low it鈥檚 definitely less reliable as it inherits all of the TS weaknesses and adds a few of its own with direct injection and more stringent emission controls ...My personal experience wasn鈥檛 good with worn camshaft lobes , high oil consumption and regular engine management lights for misfires ( injectors and coil packs ) I was happy to see it go, and the car was very low mileage when I bought it at just 6 years old and 38k miles.

That said , I don鈥檛 mind the Phase 3 facelift at all , and the JTS is fine if your mileage is modest , and you鈥檙e happy to indulge it with very regular servicing ..I鈥檇 say go for whichever one has the least rust as that鈥檚 the thing most likely to kill a 15- 25 year old car.

To summarise I personally prefer phase 2 with a TS engine , but I鈥檇 take the sorted phase 3 over an average phase 2 any day.

good luck ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts