Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi there does anyone now of any places where i can get a good deal on rear discs and pads for my 2001 156 2.0 ts i live near salford so anywhere in a 20mile radius would be great...ps
would be even better if someone could fit them, ive been quoted nearly £200 fitted inc vat as ive not had the car that long i was wondering if that was expensive or not :thumbs:

cheers
steve

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
You need to check the size of your rear discs.
You probably have the smaller 251mm, but it is possible you have the later 276mm.
You also need to confirm the pad type as you are on the changeover of those to.
Early 156 use pads with a small spring on top which are the same a 166.
Later 156 use pads without a small spring on top which are the same a 147.

Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks

:thumbs:cheers anyway i just think some garages see alfas and rub their hands and see ££££££signs

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You need to check the size of your rear discs.
You probably have the smaller 251mm, but it is possible you have the later 276mm.
You also need to confirm the pad type as you are on the changeover of those to.
Early 156 use pads with a small spring on top which are the same a 166.
Later 156 use pads without a small spring on top which are the same a 147.

Car Parts and Car Accessories - Buy Parts By
cheers thanks for the advice :thumbs:

·
Registered
212 Posts
hi there does anyone now of any places where i can get a good deal on rear discs and pads for my 2001 156 2.0 ts i live near salford so anywhere in a 20mile radius would be great...ps
would be even better if someone could fit them, ive been quoted nearly £200 fitted inc vat as ive not had the car that long i was wondering if that was expensive or not :thumbs:

cheers
steve
pop in our place steves spares on gt cheetham st east, we will do you a good deal which should save you a lot of money

·
Registered
200 Posts
Another related question, when changing the rear pads, do the calipers need winding back? or can they just be pushed like the fronts?

If they need winding do you need a tool? or is there a way around it?

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Sometimes the rear pistons can be tough to rewind especially if the rear pads have worn very low.The laser tool is ok but occaisionally you may need someone who owns an air compressed winder.

·
Registered
30,081 Posts
Sometimes the rear pistons can be tough to rewind especially if the rear pads have worn very low.The laser tool is ok but occaisionally you may need someone who owns an air compressed winder.
Mine were very hard to get started, but the Laser tool combined with a socket and a 60cm breaker-bar did the trick.

·
Registered
96 Posts
just today i noticed that the drivers rear side brake pads where wore down to the steal, the passenger side is fine.
new rear disc,s and pads are £66.00 all in at local motor factors, seems like i have a seized calibar my disc size
is 251mm for 2001 2.4jtd. there is rear dic,s and pads on ebay at £14 on bidding at the moment, finishes in a day
or so.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I was scratching my head for a while cos my disks were so far worn down the pads were gripped around the ridge of the disks, could not push the piston in, needs to be wond back, but Dave came to my rescue and told me I have to remove the 13mm bolts, trouble is these bolts have shallow heads and were rounding off easily.
After a while I realised if you crack the 17mm nut on the sliders the 13mm comes loose then it's all groovy baby job done :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts