Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sick of watching potentially good programmes on the Discovery Channel ruined by them referring to speeds in kms/hour, distances in kms and metres. Just which English speaking country are they aiming their programmes at that makes them use the metric system. I miss half the programme because I'm sitting there doing mental arithmetic trying to figure out what they've just told me
:mad: :mad:
Bug*er,I still don't feel any better:rant: :rant:

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
Us in the good old RSA :lol:, I can't stand the way they repeat everything ten times a year

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I'm curious now, do Canada and RSA have the same English accent over dub on their programmes or is it done by your own TV people. The English accent makes it more noticeable to me and makes it seem as though its done especially for us. We just don't speak in those units at all.
Its actually laughable when Americans are talking about car performance on drag strips or at Bonneville in miles and yards and the commentry tells you in km and metres, it just doesn't work IMHO.:)

·
Registered
9,805 Posts
We receive the original programming, nothing is dubbed or South Africanised. Only the stupid never ending ads between the programs

·
Super Moderator
60,035 Posts

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
So, I'm curious now, do Canada and RSA have the same English accent over dub on their programmes or is it done by your own TV people. The English accent makes it more noticeable to me and makes it seem as though its done especially for us. We just don't speak in those units at all.
Its actually laughable when Americans are talking about car performance on drag strips or at Bonneville in miles and yards and the commentry tells you in km and metres, it just doesn't work IMHO.:)
Typically programs aren't redubbed here (unless you're talking about showing an English movie in French). We get the whole range of accents. British ones from the British-produced shows, American ones from the U.S. imports, etc. We even have a few home-grown ones (although a large percentage of those include hosts from Australia and the UK).
--Toronto

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The channel we watch is provided by Discovery Networks Europe. Programming is made for and transmitted to multiple coutries across Europe simultaneously using different audio tracks to provide languaging as necessary and English being default hence even though we are not metric is kept as that.

It all comes from the UK though, 58 channels and counting I believe ;)

As for ads, well something has to pay for it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't know they measured in standard units, metric or imperial, at all. Whenever I watch "Super-Structures", "Mega-Machines" or "Impressive-Ignorance" everything is measured in relative terms.

For example: "This ultimate super structure is 7 statues of liberty high, 2 queen mary IIs wide and weighs as much as the moon."

Inevitably, they then show you a illustration of the bally "super-structure" with 7 statues of liberty stacked up next to it, and 2 queen mary IIs lined up under it, followed by a library picture of the moon.

"Wow!"

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I didn't know they measured in standard units, metric or imperial, at all. Whenever I watch "Super-Structures", "Mega-Machines" or "Impressive-Ignorance" everything is measured in relative terms.

For example: "This ultimate super structure is 7 statues of liberty high, 2 queen mary IIs wide and weighs as much as the moon."

Inevitably, they then show you a illustration of the bally "super-structure" with 7 statues of liberty stacked up next to it, and 2 queen mary IIs lined up under it, followed by a library picture of the moon.

"Wow!"
Lol, and of course we all know that a standard unit of length in the USA is the football field. ;)

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
It annoys me too, but many of the programmes are interesting so I persevere. I watched one the other night about sinking an aircraft carrier. It was filmed in the USA by the French and then overdubbed with a Metric English commentary.
:cheese:
But all the captions were still in French....
:rolleyes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts