Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just shocking how many times you buy a motor only to discover hidden problems:lol:

I got my GTV 2.5 weeks ago... So im still learning what all iv bought it seems haha...

Tonight i was changing my teardrops over to my new teledials, so i started to go around the wheels loosening the studs, so i went to the boot so find the socket for taking out the locking nuts...

......Not there... or anywhere

Off to halfords to buy a locking nut removal kit (only place open during this procedure)..

Brought home what seemed like would do the job.. then had to to turn a couple of mm of the socket so it would even fit in the alloys hole... Only to find it wouldnt grip or do the job either...

So i resorted to drilled the nuts @ 4mm>8mm>12.5mm until the heads popped out..

Hardest set of wheels iv ever had to change!! (the threads also where clearly never oiled, and one of the studs was a "wobbly" and was shoved in a hole that was nearly leaving me having to helicoil it!).... My point is.. why can people not spend 30 quid on studs if it needs studs, put some sort of lube in to stop ceasing, keep their locking nut socket if they use the locking nuts & instead of ramming a stud into a hole... clean up the threads...

Ahhh... Rant over guys:lol: Teledials on & new studs ordered:rolleyes:

Any other stories out there of simple solutions left to develope into more work than necessary? haha

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Studs? Nuts?

It's supposed to simply have bolts - 45mm shank (to the taper), 19mm head, M12x1.25... :)

-Alex

·
Registered
366 Posts
Just shocking how many times you buy a motor only to discover hidden problems:lol:

I got my GTV 2.5 weeks ago... So im still learning what all iv bought it seems haha...

Tonight i was changing my teardrops over to my new teledials, so i started to go around the wheels loosening the studs, so i went to the boot so find the socket for taking out the locking nuts...

......Not there... or anywhere

Off to halfords to buy a locking nut removal kit (only place open during this procedure)..

Brought home what seemed like would do the job.. then had to to turn a couple of mm of the socket so it would even fit in the alloys hole... Only to find it wouldnt grip or do the job either...

So i resorted to drilled the nuts @ 4mm>8mm>12.5mm until the heads popped out..

Hardest set of wheels iv ever had to change!! (the threads also where clearly never oiled, and one of the studs was a "wobbly" and was shoved in a hole that was nearly leaving me having to helicoil it!).... My point is.. why can people not spend 30 quid on studs if it needs studs, put some sort of lube in to stop ceasing, keep their locking nut socket if they use the locking nuts & instead of ramming a stud into a hole... clean up the threads...

Ahhh... Rant over guys:lol: Teledials on & new studs ordered:rolleyes:

Any other stories out there of simple solutions left to develope into more work than necessary? haha
I didn't know there was such a thing as a 2.5ts - either I'm off on my GTV history, or there may have been some very interesting stuff going on under the bonnet. You sound like you know your cars, though...

·
Registered
447 Posts
Alfetta?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I had this problem so contacted the previous owner who said he would send the locking nut, I got fed up of waiting after 2 weeks and resorted to hammering on a 17mm socket. The locking wheelnut turned up next day ffs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha apologies! "gtv 2.5 weeks ago"... = 2 and a half weeks ago! haha! Dont know why i typed it in like that, i was in full rant mode however!

Hammering on a 17socket was an option for me but i didnt want to be brutal with the socket set:lol:

Relieved to say thats over.. Just patiently waiting for the next challenge! My previous one to this was the cigerette lighter believe it or not... could i work out how to get that bloody thing out!? :cry: ...finally did though and the refurbed centre consoles now in :)

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Nice one :)
Yeah those lighter sockets usually end up as a loose assembly of green plastic shards and a bulb that sometimes works.

I'm going to try and get my rear bin and armrest bin - and glovebox innards - re-flocked, as they're looking rather worn. Pity the vinyl is also damaged from someone trying to pry out the rear bin - even with the nuts off, it can be hard to shift.

-Alex

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What i did was bought any bits n pieces i wanted to refurb from breakers etc, so if i didnt like it / made a screw up i still had my original.. think all my centre consoles, dials, vents etc only came to about £25, i got a good price on the stuff. Also, it meant i could drive & have the car whilst i was carrying out the work; without having a car with no centre console & wires / switches hanging everywhere. Then sold the originals once the refurbed bits went in.

That is a shame about someone taking to the rear bin like that :tut:

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Wait till you get at the suspension Mark, if the wheels are anything to go by i would be examining the bushes asap fella.;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ohhh i know:vomit:

its a 98' though and you cant solve every flaw:lol: Its got MOT until June so i havnt investigated these much, though id love to get new bushes, rear arms / springpans etc in a month or two. Just give the suspension a little bit of a recondition. If i could even get a decent set of used parts, i would shotblast them, paint them & marry them up with new bushes. Probably will keep a lookout for suspension bits n bobs on the leadup to christmas then when im off il get out the superser & get to it. I dread & always have dreaded looking near suspension:lol: She does run great though with no knocks, clunks, squeeks etc so it will do at the minute for all the miles it will be doing.

You keepin okay pal? Hows those milanos coming along?

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
Hi mate, they are on hold as i have all sorts going on in my personal life at min and im sorry if i appeared woundup when you were down as it was about then things began to happen.:( I will drop you a pm when i get those tools back though, so no worries there.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No in no way at all did i think that, I thought you were spot on! Hope your problems sort themselves out buddy, everyone has their ups & downs. Speak soon:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts