Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I thought I would replace my fron t disc. SO off came the wheels and calliper. Only to discover that they discs were the wrong diameter and the pads were wrong. On checking the books I discovered that my 2.0 ts 16v has cloverleaf 4x4 discs on?

So the guy at the garage suggested that Alfa might have just used whatever they found in the parts bin since the 155 was coming to an end(mine is a 98 P BTW)

AM

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
I had the same problem :rolleyes: except the discs i bought were right (genuine alfa cheap ;) )and the ones that were all ready fitted were the wrong diameter :eek:

Think they either just threw any old discs on when they built them or the disc manufacturers like lockheed etc have got their books wrong

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I must change my disc brakes soon ... and I wonder about fitting 2.0 ts disc brakes which are bigger ... Do you think it will improve the braking in an efficient way ? What else could really improve ?
I never made such an operation before ... what is the operational process ?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Balocco, you will need the discs, calipers and carriers and possibly the hubs.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
The 2.0 16 valve TS should have the same front brake discs as the V6 and Q4, the 8v 2.0 didn't. Be careful though, as the sportspack cars very often have Lucas calipers rater than the usual ATE jobbies and need different pads. Alfashop would be able to advise you. They helped me. The Lucas calipers are maked as such on the sides.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My 2.0 16v has Lucas callipers too. Ordered replacement discs from EB Spares which turned out to be V6 items which are the same diameter and thickness but a different offset to the 16v ones which may or may not be the same as the Q4 ones.

EB Spares changed them no problem. Just swapped them for the right ones when the courier dropped the replacement set off.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
brakes!!!! my stopping distance seems to be greater than it was! could it be the brake pads wearing out? if so should'nt a yellow light come on the dashboard?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, dont rely on the low pad warning light, the cable often brakes! The best warning is the same (from memory!) but its for the fluid too, when the fluid level drops due to the pads wearing it will start blinking at you. On mine, when the light is more or less constant they need changing.....but again, don't rely on it, do visual inspections ;)

Your pads could be wearing thin and overheating but also...when was the fluid last changed? Should be every two years.

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i assume on any of the last two services! the disc seems alright but i suppose i need to take the wheel off for a proper inspection! mind you i can't hear any scrubbing (metal to metal)

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brake fluid is not (as far as I know!) a normal service item unless you request it....not in my experience anyway :rolleyes: Only place to ever say its due was the Alfa garage after I'd been using them for two years during the warranty...and then I was charged £100 for it :eek:

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how can u tell that the light is working! does it come on when you turn on the ignition?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Err, think so but would have to look. Depending on which wheels you've got you might be able to see the pads...forget it if you've got the teledial wheels. Take a wheel off and look ;)

wrinx

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wrinx said:
Err, think so but would have to look. Depending on which wheels you've got you might be able to see the pads...forget it if you've got the teledial wheels. Take a wheel off and look ;)

wrinx
there the peperpot ones (like the ones on your nord blue) you can just about see something i'll may have to take the wheel off! ;)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Balocco- the larger brakes would help. They would be able to absorb more heat before reaching critical (fade) temperature. They would also have a better force ratio (need less pedal pressure) to provide good braking effect. They would also be able to brake better at very high speeds when even a realy hard push does very little.

Andy 155- it is most likely your brake pads tight in the carriers. This is caused by corrosion and brake dust build up. It is advisable to check once a year that the pads slide easily in their carriers. If they don't, take the pads out and get to work with a file. It could also be seized caliper slide pins.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Out of interest what was the point of the Lucas calipers? Better or just what Alfa could buy cheapest at the time?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No idea, but they have used three on 155's ATE, Girling and Lucas.....any idea's?

wrinx

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't think Alfa have ever had all their eggs in one basket- supplier wise.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The brakes on my 2.0 16v are the V6 jobs, I had the same problem, my local main dealer didn't even know what brakes I had! So much for chassis numbers... The wear sensors are useless; they usually melt and fall off. Chances are you'll notice the loss of braking performance as the pads get low anyway if you drive anything like me :rolleyes: . Otherwaise, the unpleasant grinding noise is a good indicator that you've left it too late,

J.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts