Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear.. my worst nightmare. I knew it would be a race to take it off the road for the winter or something would go wrong.. and it did.

Driving to work this morning, engine looses power & smoke in rear view mirror as the turbo spins up. Checked the engine bay, fluid over the PAS resovoir\engine steady bar. Checked the oil, no mayo in there (yet). Managed to nurse the car home (since I was in the middle of nowhere) Oil & water temps both 100 degrees. I checked under the bonnet when I got back, steam from the other end of the engine & doesn't appear to be any water in the main radiator hose either.

I've yet to start looking properly, I thought it would be better to let things cool down nice & slowly first. At first glance, any ideas which bits have croaked it? Hopefull it won't be a new engine\head job as I aint got the cash at the mo..

bugger.

alex

·
Registered
177 Posts
.. feeling sorry for you

Depending on the kind of smoke, blue or white, I would suspect either a worn out turbo or broken radiator muffs. If it is a highmileage car (~150.000 km) then it might be about time for the turbo to give up. If it is the radiator you are in good company. It seems to be common on the Q4:s. Mine gave up after only 3 years.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Knightmare Alex, were you boosting at the time? Could be any number of things really. At least the engine is still running ( just)
At a guess I would say that you might have blown your head gasket. Is the water level down in the car? The steam could be pressure from the combustion chamber blowing water out of the gap between the block and head.
Is the car running a standard chip or have you got something different.
I wouldn't have thought you have buggered the block/head so it shouldn't be too expensive to repair. First thing to do would be to get it to a garage and get a leak down test done on the engine. That should show up where the problem is.
Also you say there was fluid in the engine bay, was this water or oil or oily water?

Steve

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys.. thanks for the sympathy :(

andreas.. the smoke was white so I'm guessing steam - possibly from the exhaust or just being dragged under the car - I was doing about 40mph at the time.

Steve.. I wasn't under boost at the time, possibly just spooling up. It was just a lazy drive to work.

I can only see one damaged hose, from the back of the turbo to the block (water return?!) It appears to have either a hole or is just co-incidentally damaged. The water level is right down - ie non in the header tank, you can't feel any in the top or bottom radiator hoses either. The water in the engine bay was oily but I think it was just the steam picking up the residue from the bits & bobs in the engine bay rather than 'mixing' with the oil. Still no traces of mayo.

I'll keep checking the hoses & will book a compression test to see what's gone. I'm still waiting for it to cool down before I put more water into it..

cheers,
a

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to say.. I'm running a Squadra so the turbo spools at about 2,000

A

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alex see if you can get a leak down test rather than compression, will tell you alot more about the state of the engine.
If the water return hose is holed coming from the turbo, that would explain alot of steam. The thing that worries me though is the loss of power, was it sudden like someone throwing a switch or did it drop off over a minute or so.

Steve

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
power loss was strange. Like a vibration, gradual, though as I wasn't accelerating hard, if at all & it would have just rolled even if all power was lost.

Now the car revs up to 2,000 rpm ok-ish, not great but it makes it. Then starts to stutter & runs badly above that. (driving home I also got steam\smoke out the back, I guess when the turbo tried to spin up).

Any ideas what that pipe is? As you are lying under the car it runs from the back of the turbo to the block, it's short (about 3" long) it's a rubber elbow which connects two metal hoses. It'll be either a water or oil return, but I can't find it for toffee in the Parts CD.

A

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is it pipe 1 and 3 in this pic?

Split pipe

If it is, this pipe is actually an oil pipe for the turbo. What is the oil level like in the car?

Steve

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think so, it's possibly no's 5,6 & 7 on page 2 of that screen. PN's 60807343, 60801834 & 60807219 but it's not very clear.

The oil level appears to be OK though.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Definately looks like lubrication then rather than cooling, so it may be a red herring. Get the head/block tested first would be my advice.

Good luck

Steve

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the pipes that go top to bottom on the turbo are oil and front to back are water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts