Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I've just had an absolute nightmare with a 2007 2.2 I have just bought (from auction) and would really appreciate some advice...

I bought the car with a fault roof mechanism but thought I would be able to fix it; I previously had a Fiat so had the multiecuscan leads and software (unregistered) so decided to connect it up and see if there was any fault codes. It connected but it needs to be registered so I left it - I've now just attempted to start the car and the dashboard throws up a load of messages - the yellow warning light is on (engine) and has ABS errors amongst others and when I press the start button the dash screen goes blank. Of immediate concern is the windows now don't go back up when I close the doors, and it looks like more rain is on the way. The only other thing I did was manually open the roof.

Have I somehow managed to fry the electrics? This is turning into a nightmare, and on closer inspection the boot area inc where the hood sits are all soaking....I really just want to get the car running again and I plan to take it back to the auction and sell it, and hopefully recover some of my money.

HELP!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My first port of call would be the battery, is it fully charged, is there any charge, it sounds pretty knackered to me. If it's OK check all the earths, Alfa's are shockers for iffy connections.

·
Registered
6,791 Posts
My first port of call would be the battery, is it fully charged, is there any charge, it sounds pretty knackered to me. If it's OK check all the earths, Alfa's are shockers for iffy connections.
Agreed.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Yes start with the battery, the battery conections and earths, there are 2 earth cables, 1 from the battery to the body which you can see and the other is under the battery tray between the body and gearbox.
to save taking the battery and tray out to check it put a jump lead between the battery negative and somewhere metal on the engine.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Agreed,

If the car has been sat in the auction yard for a while (or been sent around a couple of dealers and sat on forecourts for a few months) the battery might be ok, but almost dead. (or just knackered)

Charge it up and try again.

Unlikely that you have fried anything by connecting laptop and MES, that would probably be almost impossible, you have plugged in a connector that is specifically designed to be used in that connector. I have plugged into/out of the ODB2 port on lots of cars with/without ignition on and never had any problems, you would have to be very unlucky for that to be the cause of your problem.

Axe.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Also,

Specifically if the dash goes blank when pressing the start button, check the live battery feed from the top fuse box connected to the battery (the big 50amp one IIRC)
I had exactly that issue on my last 1.9 when the contacts corroded, remove the nut, disconnect the lead, clean it all up and refit. Worked for me.

:)
Axe.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the replies. I have charged the battery for 90 mins and the car now starts. The only additional issue (notwithstanding the roof problems) is that the window drop 3 inch when the door is opened and they don't go up when the door is closed (this has only started happening when the battery discharged - there is a dash warning) - any ideas how I can sort it?

Thanks.

Tim

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Use the search function on here, there is a means of resetting the windows (might be in the stickies)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App[/color

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
If you didn't get the roof perfectly closed and properly locked in position the windows will not fully rise again.
Use the manual levers on the inside of the roof inside the cabin if necessary.
They're located roughly where you'd normally find the rear quarter lights.
The roof can be a real PITA, there's countless threads on here.

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
I'm pretty sure the roof can be reset as well as the window, pretty sure all you have to do is press and hold the both the roof and window opening/closing switch respectively for ten second on either switch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for the replies - I left the car overnight and it starts and runs fine although the window reset doesn't work; I've manually closed the roof (I had only lifted up the back section) thinking it was incomplete but the windows still don't reset. When I was looking in the roof compartment there is a lot of dampness/mould, including condensation around the cover of the roof electronic control box which is worrying. The roof doesn't move at all, and the dash comes up with the roof procedure incomplete, and roof fault. I'm not sure where to begin!

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Thanks again for the replies - I left the car overnight and it starts and runs fine although the window reset doesn't work; I've manually closed the roof (I had only lifted up the back section) thinking it was incomplete but the windows still don't reset. When I was looking in the roof compartment there is a lot of dampness/mould, including condensation around the cover of the roof electronic control box which is worrying. The roof doesn't move at all, and the dash comes up with the roof procedure incomplete, and roof fault. I'm not sure where to begin!
It is going to need a roof control unit, this is a very common problem on the Spiders, don't buy a used one it will probably be the same

The part number is 50506993 and from the dealers they are £427.85 + VAT, we have them in stock for £325 + VAT

When fitting the new one it need to wrapped and sealed in a plastic bag

Ned

·
Registered
865 Posts
As for the window reset, lower window hold for 10 seconds then raise and hold for 10 seconds, you will need to do this reset along with the door and boot locks ever time your battery is disconnected.
Might be an idea to get the battery tested or buy a new one as you really dont want an iffy, even slightly iffy, battery with these.

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
While that message is displayed the windows won't pop back up.
It sounds like you haven't properly locked the roof down in its fully closed position - is there a small gap where it's supposed to seal.
Once it's been forced down the message will go and the glass will go back up.
At least that's what happens on mine. Every time I use the roof.

Even though there's no movement, can you hear the electrics when you push the button?

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
I'm pretty sure the roof can be reset as well as the window, pretty sure all you have to do is press and hold the both the roof and window opening/closing switch respectively for ten second on either switch
Ha ha, if only it was that simple! :biglaugh:

·
Banned
1,828 Posts
Didn't realise it was a Spider lussoman as Ned says usually the roof ECU gets water in to the unit, as you know your boot can fill with water sometimes. Hope your doing well anyway not spoke to you for a while

·
Registered
7,556 Posts
Didn't realise it was a Spider lussoman as Ned says usually the roof ECU gets water in to the unit, as you know your boot can fill with water sometimes. Hope your doing well anyway not spoke to you for a while
My spare wheel well does indeed turn into a pond from time to time IAMBRERA.
It can then be miraculously dry for a year. As is the Alfa way...

I'm doing well thanks, still thinking about selling the Spider, though the way I'm going I'll still have it in another 5 years' time :biglaugh:.
Noticed you've been quiet on here since that big thread on V6 timing chains.
Hope yours is still going strong :smile:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It is going to need a roof control unit, this is a very common problem on the Spiders, don't buy a used one it will probably be the same

The part number is 50506993 and from the dealers they are £427.85 + VAT, we have them in stock for £325 + VAT

When fitting the new one it need to wrapped and sealed in a plastic bag

Ned
Thanks, is there a way of isolating the fault to the roof control unit before I buy one? I have multiecuscan but would beed to upgrade and buy the correct lead - would that allow me to find a specific error code? At the moment nothing roof related moves; I suspect there has been a problem with the seals and over time water ingress has occurred which has impacted on the electrics etc. Would I be correct in saying that the main roof controls are the pump and the ecu i.e. given that nothing is working the fault is most likely with them? or are there any other fuses/relays I should check? I've been though every thread on the forum but haven't managed to find any specific information relating to my fault.

Many thanks

Tim

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Thanks, is there a way of isolating the fault to the roof control unit before I buy one? I have multiecuscan but would beed to upgrade and buy the correct lead - would that allow me to find a specific error code? At the moment nothing roof related moves; I suspect there has been a problem with the seals and over time water ingress has occurred which has impacted on the electrics etc. Would I be correct in saying that the main roof controls are the pump and the ecu i.e. given that nothing is working the fault is most likely with them? or are there any other fuses/relays I should check? I've been though every thread on the forum but haven't managed to find any specific information relating to my fault.

Many thanks

Tim
We just fitted one in the workshop today with exactly the same problem and it fixed it

Ned

1 - 20 of 29 Posts