Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Mine are ‘Pilot Super Sport’. They feel great in our conditions. Call me soft or inexperienced or both, but I don’t think I get anywhere near exploiting the full performance envelope of the tyres. I’m not sure I would appreciate the nuances of Corsa v 4S etc. What type of driving do you guys do on public roads which provides a comparison, other than just ‘feel’?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Corsas are dreadful under 10 degrees, which is typically a big chunk of our winter - they ride like concrete, the ‘skipping’ you mentioned in your original post is really bad and there is very little grip and NO traction. Some on here (Nick for eg) have been very vocal about how awful they are in the cold.

Although the MPS4S are also officially summer tyres, most of us have found them to be pretty good in cold conditions. We barely got any snow in the south of England last winter and the MPS4Ss were fine all year.

I’m not surprised you like the Super Sports. In most conditions and most driving styles, there would be little between them and the MPS4Ss, though the latter, being a newer tyre will have a better longevity (Michelin reckon they will last 30% longer than the Super Sports) and their rolling resistance is better, meaning better mpg.

The MPS4Ss would also have better wet and dry grip and better resistance to aquaplaning, but the differences during normal driving would be quite small. Enjoy the Super Sports - they are great tyres.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
i would have gone for the PS4S for my Quadrifoglio, rather than the Goodyears, if they existed in the right size for the rear. |I know most who have fitted the 295s to their Quadrifoglios are not having problems, but I chose to go for, what I believe to be, the best tyre available in the 'right' size.
Agreed. Yours is a similar age to my quad, so I think you’d have been fine with the 295s. Looking forward to your feedback on the Goodyears when you finally get back out on the road.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The Corsas are dreadful under 10 degrees, which is typically a big chunk of our winter - they ride like concrete, the ‘skipping’ you mentioned in your original post is really bad and there is very little grip and NO traction. Some on here (Nick for eg) have been very vocal about how awful they are in the cold.

Although the MPS4S are also officially summer tyres, most of us have found them to be pretty good in cold conditions. We barely got any snow in the south of England last winter and the MPS4Ss were fine all year.

I’m not surprised you like the Super Sports. In most conditions and most driving styles, there would be little between them and the MPS4Ss, though the latter, being a newer tyre will have a better longevity (Michelin reckon they will last 30% longer than the Super Sports) and their rolling resistance is better, meaning better mpg.

The MPS4Ss would also have better wet and dry grip and better resistance to aquaplaning, but the differences during normal driving would be quite small. Enjoy the Super Sports - they are great tyres.
Thanks. Wow! 30% extra life is massive. I do 30000km per year mostly on motorways. So a one third increase in tyre life would translate to a big benefit. I didn’t go with the 4S cos of the issue of sizing but I’ll reconsider next time round.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
... (Michelin reckon they will last 30% longer than the Super Sports) ...
If one believes the treadwear numbers, the Michelins will give you a 200% distance benefit over the Corsas. That makes the Michelin v Supersport difference pale into insignificance.
One major reason for me giving up on the Corsas was the cost. At one stage I reckoned I was spending over 10p/mile on tyre wear with the Corsas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If one believes the treadwear numbers, the Michelins will give you a 200% distance benefit over the Corsas. That makes the Michelin v Supersport difference pale into insignificance.
One major reason for me giving up on the Corsas was the cost. At one stage I reckoned I was spending over 10p/mile on tyre wear with the Corsas.
There's no real standard for wear ratings, and the Corsas are multi-compound. Take that 60 number with a grain of salt, they will not wear five times quicker than a 300 rating from a different manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Like I said, 'if one believes'. I reckon I get 10,000 miles out of Corsas. I'll be disappointed if I don't get 20,000+miles out of the Goodyears and the Corsa price from my local fitter is about 30% higher than the Goodyears.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Nick would have better data on this as he does more miles and changed to MPS4Ss earlier than most, but all 4 Corsas we’re toast on my quad after 11,000 miles. I’ve done 16,000 miles on the replacement MPS4Ss and there is still at least 4mm tread - I reckon 40-50% more mileage than the Corsas.

As I’ve said before, the Corsas were awesome, but had a very narrow operating band, were difficult to get hold of and expensive when you did. If I’d stuck with Corsas, I’d have had to get winter tyres and if I was going to have winter tyres, I’d have wanted to put them on an additional set of rims. The MPS4Ss are fine all year round.

·
Registered
194 Posts
There's no real standard for wear ratings, and the Corsas are multi-compound. Take that 60 number with a grain of salt, they will not wear five times quicker than a 300 rating from a different manufacturer.
Manufacturers are free to put a lower number on, but not higher than reality. If they put 60, they probably didn't want to run an extra test for that specific tyre. And possibly some people aree looking for low TWI numbers to get really soft compounds.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Left my car today to have the Goodyears put on whilst also having a wheel refurbed. Should get it back on Friday and looking forward to seeing how the Goodyears feel compared to the Alpins.

Depending on how the Goodyears are, I may have to consider whether putting the Alpins back on in winter is necessary.

I looked at my Corsas today and they are down to the tread wear marker. It’s amazing that my car has only done 11k miles over 2.5 years and for 2 winters (around 5 months each time) it had the Alpins on. The Corsas didn’t do much mileage at all - must be my driving!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts